Samsung Galaxy 8\8+: #facegate

There is an article in GSMArena that shows a user with an S8 testing out the biometric security feature known as the "Iris scaner". Turns out it is a stupid gimmick after all and nothing an image of you cannot unlock.

Literally anyone with a phone can take your face in a selfie or discrete shot with the rear camera (if very close at least) and access your Samsung phone! Wether this is a specific bug on this phone software\hardware or not remains to be seen, but if this is true then i guess we can safely assume eye scanning on smartphones is nowhere near actual professional iris scanning, in fact, it looks like a feature that is just less secure than a fingerprint sensor and also more laughable. 

Not gonna complain about some companies no longer including as many features as Samsung, especially when they dont even work the way they should!

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s8s_facial_recognition_system_is_easily_fooled_by_a_photo-news-24324.php

Groomlake Authority

And i dont remember if this happened with the Note 7, but i have a feeling it didnt??

Yeah im confident Pocketnow tried and it didnt work. So Samsung just screwd up the Iris scanner .-. on the S8!?

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

That works even in windows hello, so yeah that's a thing.

But iris scanner is secure, facial recognition was never a better solution for me.

-- BSOD : ( --

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

That works even in windows hello, so yeah that's a thing.

But iris scanner is secure, facial recognition was never a better solution for me.

FYI...

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

-snip-

Welp, its not in the tech news section (my post at least) and i didnt find it on the 1st page ^^.

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Welp, its not in the tech news section (my post at least) and i didnt find it on the 1st page ^^.

"biometric security feature known as the "Iris scaner", this is about the face scanner not the iris scanner! 

3 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Welp, apparently, I have seen people doing that with pics, maybe they have udated it since then, but that sure was a thing.

2 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

-snip-

.-. yeah i just noticed that. Nonetheless, cant trust another technology now since another essential one failed so miserably xD!

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

.-. yeah i just noticed that. Nonetheless, cant trust another technology now since another essential one failed so miserably xD!

but the face one was never essential, it was some stupid gimmick they added, the iris scanner is legit and works, the face scanner is some stupid marketing thing 

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

-snip-

If they knew it was so shitty, why even tarnish the brand name any further with highly unreliable software features .-.

Should have never been added in the 1st place lmao -.-

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

If they knew it was so shitty, why even tarnish the brand name any further with highly unreliable software features .-.

Should have never been added in the 1st place lmao -.-

To hide that iris scan takes time, and show how quick face recognition is, and how fast it is to unlock the phone.

Just now, Zackbare said:

-snip-

Still, i guess id rather take my time than leave my phone with someone else with my face and using it as they please :l

No need to fix whats not broken uh xD? Still, apparently both the facial recognition and the fingeprinter scanner are now gonna be a pain to use, so basically its Samsung saying "Use the iris scanner or nope".

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Still, i guess id rather take my time than leave my phone with someone else with my face and using it as they please :l

No need to fix whats not broken uh xD? Still, apparently both the facial recognition and the fingeprinter scanner are now gonna be a pain to use, so basically its Samsung saying "Use the iris scanner or nope".

I don't think the FPS well be a pain in the ass, coz firstly, I'll be having a phone cover, next I'll be used to it with time, it's just problem for beginners. 

Also, I'm lefty, so maybe that's a problem.

I am waiting until it can notice that I have a little brown thing in my eye, and it can see all the little floaties.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.