NEED HELP !!!

YouWhatJr

Would windows 10 or 7 work with dual xeons and would i get good gaming perfomace?

You'll get good performance, not necessarily gaming performance though. As xeons are primarily used for servers and workstations.

4 minutes ago, YouWhatJr said:

Would windows 10 or 7 work with dual xeons and would i get good gaming perfomace?

yes up to 2 cpus

13 minutes ago, NinJake said:

You'll get good performance, not necessarily gaming performance though. As xeons are primarily used for servers and workstations.

would 2 xeon 7400 be better than my q8600 tho ?

What type of system are you wanting to put it in?  Do you already have the CPUs, or are you just looking at the moment?

50 minutes ago, Doramius said:

What type of system are you wanting to put it in?  Do you already have the CPUs, or are you just looking at the moment?

i have got the dual xeons with the motherboard and 4gb of ram for free 

Just now, YouWhatJr said:

i have got the dual xeons with the motherboard and 4gb of ram for free 

i would pair it with my current gpu (750ti Asus 2gb OC Edition)

Either OS will work with Dual XEONs.  For gaming you might need more memory.  XEONs will work for gaming, although that wasn't their primary function.  Generally, XEONs are rated for their solid performance and don't have built-in graphics.  Using a dedicated GPU separates this, anyway.  I would recommend more memory, though.  My guess is the XEONs are older, and if you check out places like servermonkey.com, you can probably get more memory on the cheap.  Registered memory is usually quite expensive, and unfortunately, you MUST, use Registered memory with XEONs.

Honestly memory speed could be an issue for gaming performance on older server hardware. DDR2 or DDR3?

12 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Registered memory is usually quite expensive, and unfortunately, you MUST, use Registered memory with XEONs.

Not true. You can use Non-ECC RAM if the Motherboard supports it, you just can't mix the two.

I'd find the user manual for the motherboard and look at the RAM configuration support. Alot of server hardware only support specific configurations due to Motherboard features that help improve the stability of the machine.

Also what revision of PCI express does the server motherboard use?

13 minutes ago, Chaoix said:

Honestly memory speed could be an issue for gaming performance on older server hardware. DDR2 or DDR3?

Not true. You can use Non-ECC RAM if the Motherboard supports it, you just can't mix the two.

I'd find the user manual for the motherboard and look at the RAM configuration support. Alot of server hardware only support specific configurations due to Motherboard features that help improve the stability of the machine.

Also what revision of PCI express does the server motherboard use?

That is correct with other CPUs.  While there are a few newer XEONs that support non-ECC, most require the error correction because of the environment they were meant to be used in.  Some i7 and newer low end XEON are built from a similar die, which could allow for non-ECC memory to be used.  Most dual CPU mainboards are Server mainboards, which are set to handle the higher end XEON CPUs that require Error correction.  Version of chip was not provided, and best practice for XEONs is to always refer to the higher end so as to prevent reliability issues.  This can be critical when using very large amounts of memory.  Newer mainboards, CPUs and memory have greatly advanced to a point where non-ECC does well in larger amounts.  

Regardless, he got the RAM and CPUs for free, so best practice says Registered only for the XEONs.

All XEONs support non-ECC ram going back to the 3400-series. The only issue is Motherboard support for non-ECC ram. All of this is important because OP asked about using this for a gaming rig and 4GB of RAM is not enough for that and 8GB or even 16GB of non-ECC ram is alot cheaper than buying more ECC ram. It is best practice to use ECC ram for system stability (running for months without restart), but again not a concern for a gaming rig where speed is king.

@YouWhatJr With everyone going back and forth it might look a little confusing but basically what it comes down to yes it will work but maybe not as well as a proper gaming computer. But hey you have most of the harware. As far as the ram goes you have 4gb right? how many sticks is it? right now it might be easiest to look at the ram and ebay the exact kind of ram and buy some more. Most games would be fine with 8gb total.

After you get the ram all you really need is to get a gpu.

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

14 hours ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

@YouWhatJr With everyone going back and forth it might look a little confusing but basically what it comes down to yes it will work but maybe not as well as a proper gaming computer. But hey you have most of the harware. As far as the ram goes you have 4gb right? how many sticks is it? right now it might be easiest to look at the ram and ebay the exact kind of ram and buy some more. Most games would be fine with 8gb total.

After you get the ram all you really need is to get a gpu.

yh its 4gb of ram at the moment as thats all the board surports at the moment and as far as gpu goes i would my current 750ti 2gb oc edition

On 4/1/2017 at 5:54 AM, YouWhatJr said:

yh its 4gb of ram at the moment as thats all the board surports at the moment and as far as gpu goes i would my current 750ti 2gb oc edition

I'll reiterate what was said before. Could you please post the full specs of your current rig and the server parts you received? That is going to be the only way to make an accurate determination for you as to what is better.