Selecting card help, appreciated.

ScreamSlasher5X

I've been watching Linus for a short period and thought I'd bite the bullet and just sign up, I hope you guys can be much more helpful than those on reddit, I'll admit I have become slightly jaded by people constant telling me to buy things I have clearly stated I have no interest in or half arsing an answer. I don't want to come across as unfriendly as that isn't the case, just putting it out there. OK, I'll move on now.
I plan on upgrading since I'm using a 970 still and I recently just built a new build. There are so many variants I can't decide, I'm looking at spending a decent amount but nothing stupid, I know the 1080's have dropped in price however there are so many places I don't know where to look else where for a possible better deal. Also to note, I was looking at the 1080 ti because it's better and a lot more overall performance and I wouldn't have to upgrade for 4-5 years. I would prefer a 1080 ti however they are expensive so you could use everything I have provided. Any help is appreciated obviously. Cheers guys. I hope that all makes sense, if not I apologise. As mentioned I would prefer a 1080 ti however if there is something that will give me almost the exact same performance then suggest away. Also to note I am from the UK so imports aren't feasible. Secondly, as you may or not be able to tell I am new to the whole computer hardware and don't know a lot and I need to learn at a point and time, where I don't know though. Thank you for reading and hope you have an excellent day or night.

what games are you planning on playing and at what resolution?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

5 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

I plan on upgrading since I'm using a 970 still and I recently just built a new build. There are so many variants I can't decide, I'm looking at spending a decent amount but nothing stupid, I know the 1080's have dropped in price however there are so many places I don't know where to look else where for a possible better deal. Also to note, I was looking at the 1080 ti because it's better and a lot more overall performance and I wouldn't have to upgrade for 4-5 years.

What resolution is your monitor? a 1080 is overkill for 1080p so unless your looking into 2/4k gaming then a 1070 would be your best bet.  

Welcome to LTT :-)

So you wan to get a new GPU and sort of decided on 1080 but not really a 1080ti. So I'd suggest a "normal" 1080 from PALIT in the Super Jetstream edition. Those guys know how to build easy to clean GPUs. Performance wise they are all the same more or less depending on cooling solution.

So there you go. Got no idea what it costs in the UK though, might have to figuere that out yourself. I am sure there are price compare sites over there right?

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

So you wan to get a new GPU and sort of decided on 1080 but not really a 1080ti. So I'd suggest a "normal" 1080 from PALIT in the Super Jetstream edition. Those guys know how to build easy to clean GPUs. Performance wise they are all the same more or less depending on cooling solution.

So there you go. Got no idea what it costs in the UK though, might have to figuere that out yourself. I am sure there are price compare sites over there right?

PCPP UK is a good place to compare parts prices. 

idk

Sorry for the late reply. In case it causes confusion I know multiple monitors so from 1080x1920 up to 3440x1440. I'm not picky on games, I naturally want games to run smoothly and also look brilliant, seducing even. If you suggest one could someone explain why please. I've seen cards that have a couple hundred extra of this and that for a lump some more compared to a cheap card of the same version with less this and that. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Sorry for the late reply. In case it causes confusion I know multiple monitors so from 1080x1920 up to 3440x1440. I'm not picky on games, I naturally want games to run smoothly and also look brilliant, seducing even. If you suggest one could someone explain why please. I've seen cards that have a couple hundred extra of this and that for a lump some more compared to a cheap card of the same version with less this and that. Thank you.

if you are gonna play on 3440x1440 then your only choice is to get 1080ti because nothing else will run games smoothly on highest settings on that resolution. 

also quote people so they can see you replied 

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

6 minutes ago, Alesek said:

if you are gonna play on 3440x1440 then your only choice is to get 1080ti because nothing else will run games smoothly on highest settings on that resolution. 

How do you quote multiple people? Just click quote on them all?

Just now, ScreamSlasher5X said:

How do you quote multiple people? Just click quote on them all?

thats the + sign next to the reply button. after you select all you need, you press the quote button in the bottom right corner

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Just now, Alesek said:

thats the + sign next to the reply button. after you select all you need, you press the quote button in the bottom right corner

Excellent, thank you.

In case it causes confusion I know multiple monitors so from 1080x1920 up to 3440x1440. I'm not picky on games, I naturally want games to run smoothly and also look brilliant, seducing even. If you suggest one could someone explain why please. I've seen cards that have a couple hundred extra of this and that for a lump some more compared to a cheap card of the same version with less this and that. Thank you.

41 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

42 minutes ago, Squibbies18 said:

What resolution is your monitor? a 1080 is overkill for 1080p so unless your looking into 2/4k gaming then a 1070 would be your best bet.  

12 minutes ago, Alesek said:

OK, so which one would you select? The cheapest one has less performance numbers while the much more expensive has a much higher amount. As you may tell I haven't a clue as to what these numbers mean nor how much difference they actually make. If you wish to educate me on it let it be known I appreciate it.

OK, so which one would you select? The cheapest one has less performance numbers while the much more expensive has a much higher amount. As you may tell I haven't a clue as to what these numbers mean nor how much difference they actually make. If you wish to educate me on it let it be known I appreciate it.

they are all pretty much the same, some have better cooling and can overclock a tiny bit higher. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Also I dont know which ones are already available and which not... But you cant go wrong by getting MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, or Zotac. They are all good brands

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

2 minutes ago, Alesek said:

they are all pretty much the same, some have better cooling and can overclock a tiny bit higher. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Also I dont know which ones are already available and which not... But you cant go wrong by getting MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, or Zotac. They are all good brands

Love me some MSI, I actually really enjoy their brands. Don't get me wrong I have the cash but I don't really like the idea of spending 1K on just a graphics card, so you think/know going for a much cheaper one will be just as good as the "high end", by the way Zotac is the cheapest one I've seen so far.

Love me some MSI, I actually really enjoy their brands. Don't get me wrong I have the cash but I don't really like the idea of spending 1K on just a graphics card, so you think/know going for a much cheaper one will be just as good as the "high end", by the way Zotac is the cheapest one I've seen so far.

where do you look for it?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Just now, Alesek said:

where do you look for it?

Well I've looked on both Overclockers and I forgot about PCpartpicker (UK) I could find graphics cards from shops that sell clothing and stuff like that but it'll be a fortune more. Other than the two I named I don't know where else I can look.

1 minute ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Well I've looked on both Overclockers and I forgot about PCpartpicker (UK) I could find graphics cards from shops that sell clothing and stuff like that but it'll be a fortune more. Other than the two I named I don't know where else I can look.

so far what I can see, only the founders editions are available. they are all the same and have super loud cooler so if I were you, i'd wait couple weeks to get the non-reference versions which will be quieter and run cooler

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

5 minutes ago, Alesek said:

so far what I can see, only the founders editions are available. they are all the same and have super loud cooler so if I were you, i'd wait couple weeks to get the non-reference versions which will be quieter and run cooler

How noisy are we talk? Because funnily enough I built my new build to be as quiet as possible and having a noisy card would ruin the point. Also will non founders be cheaper or more expensive?

4 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

How noisy are we talk? Because funnily enough I built my new build to be as quiet as possible and having a noisy card would ruin the point. Also will non founders be cheaper or more expensive?

those blower style coolers sound like a jet taking off. just wait a bit until they release the non reference versions

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

7 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

All new 1080s are quite good in terms of noise. The fans don't spin at idle and then ramp up - when mine is pushing at 100% the fans run at ~50% which I can't hear in a Define R5 case. Running a Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream.

General rule of thumb here is, the bigger the cooling solution the quieter the card.

Just don't go for a blower (reference design cooling) - they are louder.

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

All new 1080s are quite good in terms of noise. The fans don't spin at idle and then ramp up - when mine is pushing at 100% the funs run at ~50% which I can't hear in a Define R5 case. Running a Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream.

General rule of thumb here is, the bigger the cooling solution the quieter the card.

Just don't go for a blower (reference design cooling) - they are louder.

Well I have an Obsidian 750D, I haven't actually booted it up yet since I'm looking to find a good SSD and a reasonable price with decent storage so I'm not sure how noisy it'll be. Right now as of typing this my current is pretty noisy, a tad bit annoying but during the summer it's a heck of a lot worse so I have my fingers crossed there. "Running a Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream." I'm confused what this part is about, you're running both a 1080 ti and a Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream together? By cooling solution does this mean overall cooling or liquid (Concoction of fluid) if the first one I believe if memory servers me correctly it had three 120mm fans, two for pulling in air and one to exhaust and then a 140mm air CPU cooler (Be quiet)

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

those blower style coolers sound like a jet taking off. just wait a bit until they release the non reference versions

Sorry, didn't see your reply. I had a look around at websites claiming to have the answer but upon reading clearly don't. Is it known when the aftermarket ones release? As you can imagine as this is my very first build I just want to be able to use it and every day feels like a struggle. Also on the subject of graphics cards I stumbled across someone with a 970 like me and was asking about the Volta which I totally forgot about. Supposedly this is going to be a heck of a lot better than the current 1080 but not sure if that's just hype, by any chance do you know when the release date for when that may be? Because that might change my whole outlook, if it's going to be within a year I might as well get a higher spec card but go for one of the lower 10' series and get a 1060 instead.

16 minutes ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

Sorry, didn't see your reply. I had a look around at websites claiming to have the answer but upon reading clearly don't. Is it known when the aftermarket ones release? As you can imagine as this is my very first build I just want to be able to use it and every day feels like a struggle. Also on the subject of graphics cards I stumbled across someone with a 970 like me and was asking about the Volta which I totally forgot about. Supposedly this is going to be a heck of a lot better than the current 1080 but not sure if that's just hype, by any chance do you know when the release date for when that may be? Because that might change my whole outlook, if it's going to be within a year I might as well get a higher spec card but go for one of the lower 10' series and get a 1060 instead.

I dont know when the aftermarket ones are going to show up but volta is probably gonna be released early 2018 but there is also vega coming out in couple months. if you go with the mentality that next year they will release something better, you will never buy anything.

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

If this helps, I just picked up a pair of DUKE 1080's from newegg while they were $470 and came with 4Honor/Ghost recon (you had to pick one).  Benefit of these was price/performance, and they stay below 10-20 degrees cooler than reference.  One issue is that I think the sale has passed, and another issue is that apparently the RGB lighting isn't yet supported by MSI's Gaming app.  Still, one of these pushes 4k DOOM nightmare at 60+, and with the money you save over a TI you can afford a better monitor.

7 hours ago, Alesek said:

I dont know when the aftermarket ones are going to show up but volta is probably gonna be released early 2018 but there is also vega coming out in couple months. if you go with the mentality that next year they will release something better, you will never buy anything.

Not sure if you care but I thought I'd share since you spent time giving me a hand. After lots of Um-ing and Ar-ing I decided out of all the ones that I looked at that I would go for MSI's ARMOR 1080, it was very well priced and funnily enough I found a legitimate place that had it cheaper than most 1080's. Thank you, I appreciate your help and everyone else's input.