Good program/ webpage for designing a GUI?

So as part my coursework this semester we have to design a GUI (not a working one just a basic design) based on the retro C++ games that we've already made. My group made a text based adventure set in space so i want the title screen with a planet and the players ship in the background while having a menu at the bottom and stuff like date and time at the top. iI want it to look like the older generation of games were so quite blocky and pixely does anyone know a good program/ utility i can use? 

Are you just trying to make an image or are you going to use some code?

If you're just trying to make an image, GIMP, Krita or Inkscape should be fine. You can enable a grid for Inkscape.

One reason to use inkscape over the others is that you can animate individual parts of the image by opening up the SVG image in a text editor and adding some code. As an example, here's an animated icon I made. Download it and open it in your web browser to see the animation. BTW, SVGs can be used to execute JavaScript since it's like HTML, so don't trust just anyone telling you to open an SVG. You can open it in a text editor and use ctrl+f to search for "script". If it doesn't return any results, there's no JavaScript in the file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwIHrp471JaZa3k1aU93d1h1WTQ

This file uses this license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

If all you need is a mockup (non-functional) GUI any image editing program would work fine. Since you're going for a pixelated look I'd even recommend MS Paint. You don't really need anything fancy to paint individual pixels.