RGB keyboards

HadesLV

I am sure I will get a few condeacending comments for my strange priorities, but I am looking for a new keyboard specifically with good quality RGB loghting customization. I am not terribly bothered about membranes vs mechanicals. I have tried both more than once, I find both perfectly comfortable to use so I dont mind so long as the build quality is decent. 

I am essentially looking for something like the Razer chroma lighting. I like the very high customizability and ability to develop your own lighting based apps, which is something I intend to do. So currently I am looking at the Razer Chroma Ornata, because it is the cheapest chroma option I have available to me. However if someone can point out a cheaper alternative from another company that has that level of customization, I would be happy to see it.

Thank you for anyone who may suggest anything. And please anyone who wants to convince me of mechanical supremacy, dont. I appreciate that mechanicals are objectively better, but it honestly isnt an issue for me since I am neither a profrssional typist nor a pro gamer, I am just someone who is very special in the brain and wants to play around with shiny lights. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Black RGB 3200MHz

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 650W

Case: NZXT H440

SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot Drive); 1TB Samsung 970 EVO (Primary Game Drive). 1,5TB total SSD storage.

HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM; 4TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. 7TB total HDD storage.

I could not stop my self mentioning that the Logitech G810/910 are amazing RGB Mechanical keyboard with per key back lighting. But a keyboard is a personal thing as you have got to look at it all the time. The Logitech G software works well and allows for lots more customization than razer or corsair.

2 minutes ago, Olly1923 said:

I could not stop my self mentioning that the Logitech G810/910 are amazing RGB Mechanical keyboard with per key back lighting. But a keyboard is a personal thing as you have got to look at it all the time. The Logitech G software works well and allows for lots more customization than razer or corsair.

Oh thank you for the reply and this is actually the exact type of alternatives I was looking for. To be clear I am not against mechanicals I just meant that my first priority probably bizzarely for other people is the RGB customization

SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot Drive); 1TB Samsung 970 EVO (Primary Game Drive). 1,5TB total SSD storage.

HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM; 4TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. 7TB total HDD storage.

Just now, HadesLV said:

Oh thank you for the reply and this is actually the exact type of alternatives I was looking for. To be clear I am not against mechanicals I just meant that my first priority probably bizzarely for other people is the RGB customization

Well the logitech keyboards are great, they allow for some amazing effects and they have macros is well and different colour profiles that you can enable.

For those who may have experience with more than one of these can someone speak on the comparisons between Corsair Utility Engine, Razer Synapse, aswell as the Logitech software for RGB. The thing that attracted me to Synapse is that it has apps that can interact directly with games and you can develop very complex apps on it to the point where I saw some mini games like snake developed for the keyboard lighting which is very interesting to me, and something I want to play around with and develop my own complex apps. How do the other RGB utilities compare in this regard?

I have experience both Razer Synapse, Corsair Utility Engine and now Ducky. I would say if you want really deep customisation Corsair wins. For keyboard that have on-board memory meaning you don't have software running 24/7 for the effect will be Ducky, as corsair sort of does it, but more complex require Utility engine. For most ease of use and quick setup goes with Razer Synapse. I would say pick the one you like, go to shop and test out the keyboard. Synapse programming is just gimmick at the moment, as there isn't enough user for developers to do this, maybe another few years. If you are interested go ahead, but I think it kinda waste of time, as it really limited to term what you can do. 

Plus that :)

I prefer Ducky, I find RGB really annoying and distracting while i play games and do work, so 80% of time is it static colour and only goes to full rainbow/customises profiles when friends comes over or watching a movie etc.    

Magical Pineapples

I've gone from a Logitech G19 to a G910, the software in use is really really easy, but I barely use it. Mainly because the benefit of software is that you get replacement software on the internet. I use Aurora. It supports loads of RGB backlit keyboards. The Razer exclusive Overwatch lighting is also fully functional on my G910. It has some neat features in it, like showing the volume, showing the CPU usage, the RAM usage etc. And it's on Github so you can contribute to the code as well, I can't code though.

With that in mind, try looking at the supported devices, and the code. You might be content with just this program and any keyboard.

G19 doesn't have per-key lighting so don't buy that one. G910 is absolutely one of my favorites.