My First Rig Build

Tydeezy

Hi guys I'm new to the Forums and I'm building my first rig. I've built plenty of home computers for family but this is the first time in a while that i'm building anything esecially something that costs this much. I know for now my Budget is Definitely around $1500. I'm buying pieces as I can, but plan to have it bought and done with in 2 months. The Pc will primarily be used for gaming ie high end AAA titles as i like to mod my games. But I also plan to do a little bit of everything else as well as i'm trying to explore other thing I'm good at and improve my skill sets. I'm Not going 4k yet, but in the future once i get a t.v. that can do it. I plan to do light-medium photo, video and music editing. Some 3d modeling and thats about it. So i have an rx480 8gb reference card as of now. An now i'll list the things I plan to get, Please advise because I also don't want to waist money as well, like getting thing i really don't need. I'm not worried about water cooling at the moment and don't plan to overclock right now either, Maybe in the future. 

• Mobo - MSI Z270 GAMING M7 LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Cpu - Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor
  • Storage - Samsung 960 EVO Series 1TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (This is just to start as the mobo has 3 slots i'll eventually get 3 of them pluse additional ssd sata drives.) 
  • Case - AeroCool StrikeX-Air Black SECC Open Case Computer Case (Test Bench)
  • PSU - EVGA 500 watt ( I planning to get the Thermaltake Toughpower 80 Plus 1000W Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply later but i have this now and want to start with it. )
  • Graphics card - AMD RX480 8gb Refence ( i plan to get another later as i want to crossfire them)
  • Ram - Corsair® Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 SDRAM DIMM Memory Module ( This is just to start but i will get 3 more to max out )

This is what i plan to buy to get the computer up and running, i plan on maxing everything eventually but the main thing i want is speed and great graphics to run games and some medium productivity Ie, CADD, 3DS max, Photoshop, Adobe After Affects, FL studio, Sibelius. As far as games go i play everything to CPU intensive games like City Skylines Or RTS's To GPU intensive games. Honestly could care less what it looks like as long as its a beast. Any Advice would definitely be welcome, thanks guys. 

A different psu at start point, like a seasonic s12ii or corsair cxm

Maybe Ryzen 7?

i wold go with a Ryzen 7 chip for this. will help with all the creative parts quite a bit seeing as those aplications can usiually use more threads. also make sure to get good, high speed RAM with your Ryzen chip for the best preformance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

since I can't make heads or tails out of your posting: so what are the parts you need?

edit:

also this is what you are looking at from what you described when going ryzen:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BMrmKZ

- that SSD hits like a ton on price

- RAM with 32 GB can be cut in half (price and size)

- I wonder about the RX480s, all you described screams 1080 all over the place (and a single card is WAY MORE hassle free than x-fire / sli systems)

- also wondering about a 1000 watt PSU, you will not need that, ever, seriously. the 750 watt I threw in is already overkill

- bottom line: 1500 will not cut it :-)

more edit:

this will fit you better I guess for your pricetag:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7yRzsJ

Why not get a single 1070 rather than 2 RX 480? Trust me, multi GPU configs are very inconsistent and you will be better of with one GPU:

Also, don't you think you are spending a lot on the storage? Why not get a 500GB 850 and a 1 TB hard drive? This will allow you to get better components elsewhere which will give you a better gaming experience (e.g. a 1080) or maybe a better monitor.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

25 minutes ago, Tydeezy said:

But I also plan to do a little bit of everything else as well as i'm trying to explore other thing I'm good at and improve my skill sets. I'm Not going 4k yet, but in the future once i get a t.v. that can do it. I plan to do light-medium photo, video and music editing. Some 3d modeling and thats about it. So i have an rx480 8gb reference card as of now. An now i'll list the things I plan to get, Please advise because I also don't want to waist money as well, like getting thing i really don't need. I'm not worried about water cooling at the moment and don't plan to overclock right now either, Maybe in the future. 

• Mobo - MSI Z270 GAMING M7 LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Cpu - Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor
  • Storage - Samsung 960 EVO Series 1TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (This is just to start as the mobo has 3 slots i'll eventually get 3 of them pluse additional ssd sata drives.) 
  • Case - AeroCool StrikeX-Air Black SECC Open Case Computer Case (Test Bench)
  • PSU - EVGA 500 watt ( I planning to get the Thermaltake Toughpower 80 Plus 1000W Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply later but i have this now and want to start with it. )
  • Graphics card - AMD RX480 8gb Refence ( i plan to get another later as i want to crossfire them)
  • Ram - Corsair® Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 SDRAM DIMM Memory Module ( This is just to start but i will get 3 more to max out )

since you're doing video editing, get a ryzen 1700 instead of the 7700k. did you already have the 480 and psu? i'd return them and get something better since your budget is more than capable of better parts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

29 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

since I can't make heads or tails out of your posting: so what are the parts you need?

I'm looking for advice on the parts I'm going to buy and if it makes sense. 

30 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i wold go with a Ryzen 7 chip for this. will help with all the creative parts quite a bit seeing as those aplications can usiually use more threads. also make sure to get good, high speed RAM with your Ryzen chip for the best preformance

Wow thanks you guys are fast on the replies.  The reason i didn't go for Ryzen right away was because of the review Ive seen on the gaming side. The games come first productivity would come second as i would just be tinkering at this point with those programs not really doing anything heavy yet. like I plan on getting started with FL studio to creat some cool mixes and do some covers on audacity. some light video editing for some possible youtube videos. trying my hand at these thing to see what i like. But the primary use would be gaming. 

23 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Why not get a single 1070 rather than 2 RX 480? Trust me, multi GPU configs are ver inconsistent and you will be better of with one GPU:

Also, don't you think you are spending a lot on the storage? Why not get a 500GB 850 and a 1 TB hard drive? This will allow you to get better components elsewhere which will give you a better gaming experience (e.g. a 1080) or maybe a better monitor.

I thought i might be spending a bit on storage just wasn't sure, i'm a lil impatient when it comes to waiting for games to load ( i use a lot of mods on games) or moving big files, so i was thinking the speed of the 960 evo and that i could put all my games on there to start and not have to worry about space by the time i come close to that driver being 75% used i could get another. I already have one rx480 so i was gonna start with that regardless (it was given to me). But is the 1070 really that much better all around. cause instead of getting another rx to crossfire i would just get that as the next upgrade. I've just heard of people having problems with nivida games so i.ve usually stuck to AMD(at east most of the people i talk to are always complaining). 

Edited by Tydeezy
I already have the PSU and Graphics ca just useing those to get going.

I wouldn't recommend buying parts over a period of time, order them all at once or in quick succession. The more parts you have laying around the more that can go wrong and maybe new tech will come out in the next two months.

Maybe you change your mind and you already have half the parts so now you're stuck with them.

Don't crossfire 480s. Get one 1070.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

Return or sell both the gpu and psu you have, you should be able to carve 180-200$ from it. I run sli of 980ti in my system  and I'm  telling you that is jot worth it.  Ryzen is bad for gaming only if you are pairing it with slow ram and running a 1080p monitor, from everything over that you will be better off with ryzen than with intel imho.

Considering that you resell  the stuff before mentioned this is what you can shell out from them

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8w7gL
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8w7gL/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($323.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($269.33 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($489.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1608.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-28 08:21 EDT-0400

This will be a 1440 beast

So after doing some more research. Your totally right. Ryzen will be better for me. I was going off what they said about it and benchmarks when it first came out. But it seems this will be better all around. From what you guys are also saying its way better for me to get a single card.  If i'm going single card I'm definitely getting a  GTX 1080 8GB (ps i'm guessing that this cards actual clock speed or mem speed is way faster than the rx480 8g, which is why its better. Ie capacity dosent matter as much as the speed of the card.)   I'v never done liquid cooling before that's why i wasn't going to even touch it, even  passive one like the Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, but i'm guessing its worth it?  Also it seems m spending to much of my storage because the speed change wont matter that much? From what i rear its really noticeable, id rather have it and have to wait another paycheck than not have it and be mad lol. I'm okay with buying it in pieces because if i keep changing my mind i'll never have the damn thing together and i keep my pieces in the box stored away until Assembly, so if i really want to change i just return it.  But i'm gonna put together another list and see whats up. Thank again!

Here is my recommended computer build.

Very few motherboards have 3 slots for M.2 SSDs. Most have either 1 or 2 slots.

It's not wise to spend a lot more money on M.2 for strict performance because it isn't a much discernable difference in speed with a 2.5" SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($394.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($163.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($234.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Aerocool StrikeX-Air ATX Test Bench Case  ($154.60 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($92.43 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1570.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-28 09:17 EDT-0400

Buzzsaw - I'm Buzzsaw and you're not.

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard -- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF X299 MARK 2 (LGA 2066 R4) * 
Graphics -- SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz) -- 4096 MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series 
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device
Optical Drives -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST * Audio -- Realtek High Definition Audio

1 hour ago, Tydeezy said:

I thought i might be spending a bit on storage just wasn't sure, i'm a lil impatient when it comes to waiting for games to load ( i use a lot of mods on games) or moving big files, so i was thinking the speed of the 960 evo and that i could put all my games on there to start and not have to worry about space by the time i come close to that driver being 75% used i could get another.

The 850 is already plenty fast, why get the 960?

I already have one rx480 so i was gonna start with that regardless (it was given to me). But is the 1070 really that much better all around. cause instead of getting another rx to crossfire i would just get that as the next upgrade. I've just heard of people having problems with nivida games so i.ve usually stuck to AMD(at east most of the people i talk to are always complaining). 

I'd repeat what one poster have said above, don't buy your build part by part. It's very frustrating to buy one thing early before asking about it in the forum only to realise it was actually a bad idea.

About the Nvidia "issues" not sure what are you talking about. The 1070 doesn't have any serious issues that I heard about, and frankly crossfire will definitely cause more issues with games than a single 1070!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Its kinda difficult researching this stuff on the internet because peoples experience will vary based on application if they knew what they were doing in the first place and user level. I tend to pick higher priced items and items of good companies that i see alot on videos or blogs due to reliability. that is why I went samsung and for the 960. Its top of the line as far as i know and is reliable, and the board i originally picked has 3 slots. Some places ive read says it's plenty faster than the 850, some say its not noticeable. I can honestly say that my current computer is a p.o.s dual core with 8 gigs of slow ram dell . So i am going to notice a huge difference regardless, but i kinda wanna be blown away ya know. But this is also why i posted here to see if its worth it and necessary as i'm likely to go over board cause i can afford it at the moment lol. I play MMO's alot as well and the people i play with are constantly having problems with Nvidia drivers in particular, but i guess that may be again user error.

Sell your RX 480 for $200- which you'll have no trouble getting for a new card. That'll bring your budget up to $1700. With said $1700, build this.

I spent extra on faster RAM because it'll make more of a difference in performance than going with a higher-end Ryzen chip.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($323.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory  ($199.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Deepcool DUKASE WHV2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1714.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-28 11:49 EDT-0400

Soooo I'm getting really excited about this build. 

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($388.49 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($248.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($324.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB Dual OC Video Card  ($233.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1681.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-04 07:26 EDT-0400

so now that i know what I'm going to do. I really do want a good looking rgb build. Again i'm lil scared of water cooling, i'm sure it works well but i'll stick to not for now. I'm going to stick with the rx480 for now because i have it. I got the cpu and motherboard as a combo deal $100 off.  I was looking at the i win infinity mirror case, but from what i hear it has horrible air flow, so i'm going to use this case and create a see through infinity mirror on the front and possibly the side. Already got an idea for that. i'll post some pics of the process as i build it thanks again guys. If you guys have any suggestions on nice rgb elements to bring to my build let me know. For instance i was thinking of Thermaltake 12fans for cooling besides the front fans on the case

13 hours ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

buy the corsair crystal x460: it is smaller, cheaper of 50$d can still hold everithing you will ever need

your right now that iv'e looked at the x460, no need to have a glass panel on the other side where all the cables will be routed.