Slim Radiator?

Friend is looking for a slim radiator to fit in his computer. He has about...35-38mm of room to mess with if he puts the radiator behind his GPU, or 83mm above his CPU. 

Should he run a 240mm slim rad behind his GPU? or run a 120mm regular or slip above his cpu? hes got a 7700k and gtx 1070 Strix and lpx ram if that helps with clearance near cpu.

5 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Friend is looking for a slim radiator to fit in his computer. He has about...35-38mm of room to mess with if he puts the radiator behind his GPU, or 83mm above his CPU. 

Should he run a 240mm slim rad behind his GPU? or run a 120mm regular or slip above his cpu? hes got a 7700k and gtx 1070 Strix and lpx ram if that helps with clearance near cpu.

Long rads tend to perform better than thicker shorter rads even if the long rad is somewhat thin. What case does he have exactly since <40mm is not much to work with as most thin rads are still 25-30mm.

4 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Your going to be very limited especially if the plan was a custom loop, you might be able to get away with a slim AIO unit like this if he places it on the dual 120mm opening above the CPU. 

http://www.eteknix.com/silverstone-tundra-td02-slim-aio-cooler-review/

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Your going to be very limited especially if the plan was a custom loop, you might be able to get away with a slim AIO unit like this if he places it on the dual 120mm opening above the CPU. 

hes not looking for custom cooling. hes looking for an AIO

and do you mean above the GPU? because the cpu only has a 120mm grill above it.

20 minutes ago, W-L said:

i am sorry, i made a mistake. its this case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8CIZYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the ML07B not the MLO8

7 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

i am sorry, i made a mistake. its this case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8CIZYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the ML07B not the MLO8

That is a slightly larger case but a bit more limited in terms of cooling options, since the GPU takes up the space for the dual 120mm mounts you may be best off with a single thick 120m cooler or a short but larger aircooler. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

That is a slightly larger case but a bit more limited in terms of cooling options, since the GPU takes up the space for the dual 120mm mounts you may be best off with a single thick 120m cooler or a short but larger aircooler. 

would a slim not fit under the gpu? its 37mm, and if i took the shroud of the gpu off, it could give a few more mm

3 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

would a slim not fit under the gpu? its 37mm, and if i took the shroud of the gpu off, it could give a few more mm

There would be little to no room, the rad and fans would hit the GPU.

http://www.haltechtv.com/unboxing--review-archive/silverstone-milo-ml07-mini-itx-htpc-case-written-review

Picture

5 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

so you think the best bet would be to get a 120mm rad and place it above the cpu?

That would be a good option if he wants to directly exhaust the heat out of the case, since it is fairly small. With the extra clearance a thick 120mm cooler like the H80i shouldn't be a problem. 

14 hours ago, W-L said:

That would be a good option if he wants to directly exhaust the heat out of the case, since it is fairly small. With the extra clearance a thick 120mm cooler like the H80i shouldn't be a problem. 

just a thought, what if i had just the radiator under the gpu? as the gpu would pull air through the radiator, might not be very efficient, but on my radiator, i have the fans around 600rpm (2x 120mm) and the cpu still stays well below 60C (gaming around 54C, stress test around 58C) so in my mind, having a 240mm radiator with the gpu helping pull a little air through, wouldnt that be an option? if not, i can always recommend the 120mm rad above the cpu itself, reason i wonder, is because the slim radiator is 25mm in depth, and how the strix gpu lays, the radiator would  be about 4 or 5mm from the gpu. and only time when cpu is warming up, is when he is gaming. so, going passive without gaming, and then the gpu fans turn on while gaming automatically so then it would help keep it cool.

1 hour ago, ZeusXI said:

just a thought, what if i had just the radiator under the gpu? as the gpu would pull air through the radiator, might not be very efficient, but on my radiator, i have the fans around 600rpm (2x 120mm) and the cpu still stays well below 60C (gaming around 54C, stress test around 58C) so in my mind, having a 240mm radiator with the gpu helping pull a little air through, wouldnt that be an option? if not, i can always recommend the 120mm rad above the cpu itself, reason i wonder, is because the slim radiator is 25mm in depth, and how the strix gpu lays, the radiator would  be about 4 or 5mm from the gpu. and only time when cpu is warming up, is when he is gaming. so, going passive without gaming, and then the gpu fans turn on while gaming automatically so then it would help keep it cool.

While possible the GPU may get fairly warm since the heat from the rad goes directly into the GPU. Only way really would be to test the theory to see what the temps would be really. If he doesn't mind externally mounted fans would work in terms of cooling for the rad. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

While possible the GPU may get fairly warm since the heat from the rad goes directly into the GPU. Only way really would be to test the theory to see what the temps would be really. If he doesn't mind externally mounted fans would work in terms of cooling for the rad. 

the 1070 doesnt get really hot. mine only gets to about 58C, his gets about the same temps while gaming. so adding a radiator might make his go up to mid/high 60s  from what im thinking since his current cpu cooler maxes at around 68-70C on load

52 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

the 1070 doesnt get really hot. mine only gets to about 58C, his gets about the same temps while gaming. so adding a radiator might make his go up to mid/high 60s  from what im thinking since his current cpu cooler maxes at around 68-70C on load

But inside the case with somewhat good airflow since it has a direct cool air intake by putting a rad there it's adding heat and also restriction. While I don't believe it will get so hot to the point of thermal throttling either the CPU or GPU it may increase significant if the system is under full load. 

33 minutes ago, W-L said:

But inside the case with somewhat good airflow since it has a direct cool air intake by putting a rad there it's adding heat and also restriction. While I don't believe it will get so hot to the point of thermal throttling either the CPU or GPU it may increase significant if the system is under full load. 

that is true. so you think the better option would be just a 120mm rad?

6 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

that is true. so you think the better option would be just a 120mm rad?

Personally I would just put in a single thick 120mm but it's up to you guys if you want to experiment and see if that kind of setup would be to your liking. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Personally I would just put in a single thick 120mm but it's up to you guys if you want to experiment and see if that kind of setup would be to your liking. 

would he see a difference between the 120mm rad and the air cooler her already has?

1 hour ago, ZeusXI said:

would he see a difference between the 120mm rad and the air cooler her already has?

What's his current aircooler?

In general for a SFF case it can be beneficial for the heat to be exhausted directly out instead of for example a downdraft cooler. 

14 hours ago, W-L said:

What's his current aircooler?

In general for a SFF case it can be beneficial for the heat to be exhausted directly out instead of for example a downdraft cooler. 

stock intel cooler he had from previous build

1 hour ago, ZeusXI said:

stock intel cooler he had from previous build

Yes I'm it will have better temps with the liquid cooler, the stock cooler while decent isn't amazing especially if it's a K sku and he wants to do some overclocking.

• 3 months later...

hey is the OP still messing with the build? i am using the same case and looking into installing a water cooled setup

my current setup 
i7 7700 + noctua L9i
just some random Graphicscard

my findings

gigabyte has just release a new 1080ti waterblock graphics card
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUSX-WB-11GD#kf

it happens to have the widest part at 149.27 which is exactly what the case allows (149.3) without drilling a hole in the sides of the case, so i take a look at thickness its 28.25, add a slim radiator to that 25mm (i don't know if i can ever find one some one on this forum might help?) add a slim fan to that 15mm = 68.25mm compared to what the case allows 68mm
i honestly don't know if that would fit

another option i have thought about a half sized card with a length of around 15mm that way putting a single fan 120mm radiator will be easy without the thickness limitation, but again i don't know if i can find that half length gpu waterblock, i think i've seen evga has one mini size 1080ti with installed waterblock but i don't know if that's released yet