Linux installed on wrong drive, broke windows

suchamoneypit

I have an SSD and HDD, I installed linux (Ubuntu latest version) off a USB. When I went to install to get a dual boot it detected my windows 10 and I did install alongside. Windows 10 was on my SSD, with a partition on the HDD for other data. Linux installed itself on the HDD for some reason (which has no install of windows) and it added all of it's partitions to a 500GB unallocated chunk I had on the HDD. This set the HDD to MBR and now when I select windows boot manager from grub, it gives  me a blue screen saying winload.efi is missing and now I have two separate OS on two separate drives.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Im not literate with Linux, please include thorough directions for advice/instructions. For example on windows you can simply say "Oh just open disk managaement and delete your partition" because I know all those tools, whereas on Ubuntu I have no idea.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Worth noting if I unplug the HDD windows boots fine other than me having to desktop and some files that were set to store on the HDD.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Worth noting if I unplug the HDD windows boots fine other than me having to desktop and some files that were set to store on the HDD.

You've still got the USB right?

Boot off the USB

Just use the ubuntu disk utility (gparted) to delete your bad partitions.

If for some reason it's not installed default on your ubuntu (it should be): https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/natty/gparted/

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Boot up the pc w/o the he'd, then plug it in while running (LOOK THIS UP TO SEE IF IT IS SAFE TO DO)

then backup ur files off of it, wipe the drive, and install Linux w/o the had plugged in. U should have no problemo

i like trains 🙂

Unplug the Windows HDD, boot off USB selecting the right option in the boot menu (UEFI boot vs BIOS/legacy boot) and use gparted to create a partition table that is the same as the one on the HDD(GPT or MBR) and when installing,PLEASE! Use manual partitioning so you know what's happening, create a relatively small root partition(/) and a much bigger /home partition.

APU: AMD A10-7850K cooled by an NH-L12; PSU(going to upgrade sooner or later):  Antec VP450P;RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Savage 2133MHz; MOBO: Asus A68HM-Plus; CASE: Itek [something] ; HDD: WD Blue 1TB(WD10EZEX)

OS: Triple boot openSUSE Leap Debian Jessie and Windows 10(aka MSX)

Plugging the drive in to your computer is fine while it is already on. Just check in your bios if you have the hot swap option enabled for drives. But you don't really need it.

The geek himself.

Linus installed on wrong drive and not working?

thats beacouse you need a PB to install him he wont fit on a peasant 500gb drive

says the guy that still has a 80 GB HDD

17 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

Linus installed on wrong drive and not working?

thats beacouse you need a PB to install him he wont fit on a peasant 500gb drive

says the guy that still has a 80 GB HDD

I never said Linux wasn't working.

its a 2TB WD Black drive. Its a 500GB Partition.

I'll try out your suggestions soon, thanks everyone.

6 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I never said Linux wasn't working.

its a 2TB WD Black drive. Its a 500GB Partition.

its a joke read more carefully at the beggining