Thinking about new PC

kaktus1389

Hello guys I am seriously thinking about building a new PC. I have some components in mind, but am eager to hear your opinion on this and my major concern is do Gigabyte motherboards that are supposedly supporting 6th and 7th gen Intel processors really support them?

My planned build:

• NZXT S340 Black & Blue case
  • NZXT Kraken 140mm liquid cooling
  • Intel Core i5 7500/7600 (could use some advice here)
  • Gigabyte GTX 1060 6 GB
  • Gigabyte Gaming Z170 K3 EU rev 1.0
  • A 600 W PSU
  • 1TB HDD
  • 240 GB AMD SSD
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM

1 hour ago, BloodyWaters said:

I'd try to go for a 480. 

The reason why I didn't want to go with AMD is because I play many games that are supported by NVidia (Watchdogs 2, Assassin's Creed) that don't use Vulcan API and are made for NVidia cards. If you can persuade me that stuff will work equally fine on it then I will consider going for 480.

1 minute ago, kaktus1389 said:

The reason why I didn't want to go with AMD is because I play many games that are supported by NVidia (Watchdogs 2, Assassin's Creed) that don't use Vulcan API and are made for NVidia cards. If you can persuade me that stuff will work equally fine on it then I will consider going for 480.

I would take the time to look at benchmarks between the two. The RX 480 has slightly better performance, and is an all-around card. I would avoid getting the GTX 1060 just because you don't play games with Vulcan, because your tastes might change in the future. 

couple things you should change.. 

• Great Case, won't go wrong there.
    • Not Needed, Rather buy this later and Max out your GPU options. For your CPU you can run on stock for a bit.
    • Ether is good, i5 is still fantastic for gaming. So happy to see you not specing a i7 here
  • Gigabyte GTX 1060 6 GB
    • After making the changes about and below MAX out this. If you can grab a 1080 your lifespan of this system will be much longer
    • Pointless for this CPU, also doesn't make any better performance. Linus has spoken on it a few times. Go way cheaper here
  • A 600 W PSU 
    • Completely overkill. Go to the MSI power calculator (tons of other ones as well) rather go lower W and better quality. 80+ is a must.
  • 1TB HDD
    • Maybe can even go 2TB with the changes you made. Make sure its 7200rpm and you can even play some games off it as not all games benifit from SSD
  • 240 GB AMD SSD
    • Perfect, Its what I run and happy with it. 
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM
    • Complete overkill again. You will be much better off going with 8GB. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

couple things you should change.. 

• Great Case, won't go wrong there.
    • Not Needed, Rather buy this later and Max out your GPU options. For your CPU you can run on stock for a bit.
    • Ether is good, i5 is still fantastic for gaming. So happy to see you not specing a i7 here
  • Gigabyte GTX 1060 6 GB
    • After making the changes about and below MAX out this. If you can grab a 1080 your lifespan of this system will be much longer
    • Pointless for this CPU, also doesn't make any better performance. Linus has spoken on it a few times. Go way cheaper here
  • A 600 W PSU 
    • Completely overkill. Go to the MSI power calculator (tons of other ones as well) rather go lower W and better quality. 80+ is a must.
  • 1TB HDD
    • Maybe can even go 2TB with the changes you made. Make sure its 7200rpm and you can even play some games off it as not all games benifit from SSD
  • 240 GB AMD SSD
    • Perfect, Its what I run and happy with it. 
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM
    • Complete overkill again. You will be much better off going with 8GB. 

Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately, in my country the GTX 1070 is already really expensive at 486€, which is 160€ more than the 6GB 1060 is. Although with the changes made to the build I may actually be able to afford it. So for the motherboard now I think that the GA-B250M-D3H would be the right one to go with as it costs about 50€ less, with not buying the liquid cooling I would get extra 120€ and if I went with only 8 GB RAM I would save additional 60€. Thank you for the MSI power calculator, will check it out!  

3 minutes ago, kaktus1389 said:

Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately, in my country the GTX 1070 is already really expensive at 486€, which is 160€ more than the 6GB 1060 is. Although with the changes made to the build I may actually be able to afford it. So for the motherboard now I think that the GA-B250M-D3H would be the right one to go with as it costs about 50€ less, with not buying the liquid cooling I would get extra 120€ and if I went with only 8 GB RAM I would save additional 60€. Thank you for the MSI power calculator, will check it out!  

Great choice in MB, those ones will last a long time. and a 1070 will be Perfect maybe look at EVGA they normally better priced than GB. 1070 also kicks the stuffing out of my 980 and I'm having zero issues running everything maxed out. 

For a gaming built it will be perfect. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Also this is the first PC I am going to build myself so any pro tips would be welcome!

1 hour ago, kaktus1389 said:

Also this is the first PC I am going to build myself so any pro tips would be welcome!

You'll be fine, go slow, there is also tons of videos online. 

Redstone:

Obsidian: