Laptop or pc

Jamesbend
Go to solution Solved by Pendragon,
4 hours ago, Jamesbend said:

I don't like dell though. The razer blade has a solid build quality and a nice screen too

sorry I was dying here. Firstly no. The 2015 razer blade runs the 14in LQ140Z1JW01 Sharp display. Literally one of the worse 14in displays on the market today. HUGE response time lag, in the 50-60ms and is a pwm display. 

and build quality of razer blades are shit. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-ceo-covering-up-cheap-poor-design-of-razer-notebooks.801443/ forced component failure on a system scale to get people to buy new systems. overheating power adatpers, throttled performance, cpus that can't keep turbo clocks, gpus that can't boost.

If you're not going to be portable. Grab the desktop. Build your own or buy good second hand parts. High end laptops in the long term are some of the worse value unless you have someone subsidizing or sponsoring it. Also for 1.3k you can get a laptop with 1060s in it. But you should still build a desktop. I know nothing about desktops so just ask a couple of the guys for a parts list. 

I need help!

I have two choices for gaming but I don't know what to go with. A razerblade 14 (2015) with core i7 4720HQ, 970m 3gb, 16gb of ram, 256gb SSD. It's a little bit old but very good value, at about 1k1usd

Or a gaming rig with core i5 6402p, galax 1060 6gb, 8gb ram, 1tb HDD at about 800usd.

I'm a highschool student. I play alot of games like gta v, witcher 3, for honor,... 

Thanks alot

2 minutes ago, Jamesbend said:

I need help!

I have two choices for gaming but I don't know what to go with. A razerblade 14 (2015) with core i7 4720HQ, 970m 3gb, 16gb of ram, 256gb SSD. It's a little bit old but very good value, at about 1k1usd

Or a gaming rig with core i5 6402p, galax 1060 6gb, 8gb ram, 1tb HDD at about 800usd.

I'm a highschool student. I play alot of games like gta v, witcher 3, for honor,... 

Thanks alot

Assuming that you'll be 1080p gaming, that rig is very poor, then laptop is better.

Also the rig doesn't have SSD

-- BSOD : ( --

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

Assuming that you'll be 1080p gaming, that rig is very poor, then laptop is better.

The laptop is likenew so I don't have much hope about it

Just now, Zackbare said:

""very poor"" - the 970m is equal to 1050Ti ffs, and the 4720HQ is a mediocre quad-core chip. not to mention that it's a razer blade, which is infamous for throttling hard and having the warranty void when you open it up to repaste the fucking thing

I'd rather the desktop, it's quite a bit quicker than the laptop, and you have room to move with upgradability. I would add an SSD however

idk

5 minutes ago, Jamesbend said:

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

What you'll be using them for, including where and if you're a student and wan't portable stuff, then laptop makes hell more sense.

I'm not traveling alot so the desktop should be fine, but I really like the razer blade though

Just now, Zackbare said:

What you'll be using them for, including where and if you're a student and wan't portable stuff, then laptop makes hell more sense.

I'd rather like a desktop and laptop, instead of doing gaming on the tool I'm meant to be using at school. It's just distracting having games on your machine that you're meant to be doing work on. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

I'd rather like a desktop and laptop, instead of doing gaming on the tool I'm meant to be using at school. It's just distracting having games on your machine that you're meant to be doing work on. 

But not everyone can afford it, like either have good performance on laptop or on desktop, or moderate on both.

15 minutes ago, Jamesbend said:

I need help!

Thanks alot

any reason you can't build your own desktop ?

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

But not everyone can afford it, like either have good performance on laptop or on desktop, or moderate on both.

Not really, if the desktop is $800 and the laptop is $300, you can get some serious fucking performance used for $300USD especially when you're looking at Lenovo Thinkpads and Elitebooks... 

idk

1 minute ago, UMxMarky94 said:

any reason you can't build your own desktop ?

No but the laptop is a great deal so...

Just now, Jamesbend said:

No but the laptop is a great deal so...

it's a So So deal as you can get one of THESE for less money or the same

6 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

it's a So So deal as you can get one of THESE for less money or the same

I don't like dell though. The razer blade has a solid build quality and a nice screen too

1 minute ago, Jamesbend said:

why ?

2 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

why ?

The TN panel, bad viewing angles, plastic build, color, etc..

4 minutes ago, Jamesbend said:

Solid? Hell no. The machine is engineered like crap, sounding like a jet engine under load and when you turn down the fans the machine throttles really hard. Not to mention that when you open it up to repaste the CPU/GPU to get some better temps, your warranty is void. 

idk

Just now, Jamesbend said:

The TN panel, bad viewing angles, plastic build, color, etc..

colour the is a black one

just because it uses Aluminum doesn't mean it is a solid build

but yeah the panel is shit but I have heard it is possible to swap it out 

2 hours ago, UMxMarky94 said:

colour the is a black one

just because it uses Aluminum doesn't mean it is a solid build

but yeah the panel is shit but I have heard it is possible to swap it out 

So you saying dell? What about that vx15 from acer? I heard good things about it

2 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Solid? Hell no. The machine is engineered like crap, sounding like a jet engine under load and when you turn down the fans the machine throttles really hard. Not to mention that when you open it up to repaste the CPU/GPU to get some better temps, your warranty is void. 

Any suggestions? And the unit I'm talking about is imported so the warranty is kind of impossible

19 minutes ago, Jamesbend said:

Any suggestions? And the unit I'm talking about is imported so the warranty is kind of impossible

Oh, then stay right away from it. 

If you want something pretty quick for the price tag, Gigabyte AERO 14 or the MSI laptops. But I generally suggest staying the fuck away from thin-n-lights, they run warm, throttle hard, and burn their components like a bad chef. 

idk

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Oh, then stay right away from it. 

If you want something pretty quick for the price tag, Gigabyte AERO 14 or the MSI laptops. But I generally suggest staying the fuck away from thin-n-lights, they run warm, throttle hard, and burn their components like a bad chef. 

What do you think about the vx15 from acer?

1 minute ago, Jamesbend said:

What do you think about the vx15 from acer?

Not a huge fan of Acer stuff in general, but if you like the design go for it.

Calling @Pendragon the laptop guy

idk