Premiere Pro Laptop

42 minutes ago, edit1754 said:

Metabox will give you the Sharp display if you ask? That's fantastic to know! Probably going to end up suggesting to more people that they do that.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. They just said it will take about 1 1/2 weeks to send out.

6 hours ago, Pendragon said:

with the Sharp moniter GSync is disabled because it never was given GSync verification.

I wonder if that's the only thing holding it back, or if there are technical limitations to it too.

7 hours ago, edit1754 said:

I wonder if that's the only thing holding it back, or if there are technical limitations to it too.

My understanding of this is EXTREMELY flawed. @D2ultima to clarify. I'll let you know what my current understanding is.

Technical. So a screen needs to be able to run dGPU only GSync because there is no additional module. And then it needs to be GSync certified. This is where the real fucked up part begins. Screens that are capable of GSync don't necessary mean they are GSync certified. Take the most common panel. The 15in 60hz LG one IPS 1080p (forgot the model but it's hella common). There's variations on this panel in which some are certified some are not. So you need to ensure you get the ones that are certified. If you want to run GSync.

NEXT you need to make sure your GPU is GSync certified too. Mobile GPUs are fucked when it comes to GSyncability to native screens. An example is like this, P870DM2 offered a QHD 120ms TN 17in panel that was not GSync, and hence the 1080MXM GPUs weren't GSync compatible and if you put a 1080p 17in GSync screen on the laptop it wouldn't work. You would need 1080MXM GPUs that were GSync certified for the internal display. 

^note this is for internal display, all nvidia mobile GPUs can drive GSync on external GSync certified monitors (because the external ones require a hardware module to work).

I'm entirely not sure if this is right or not, but I think this is it. LOL. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 3/22/2017 at 5:19 AM, chris76816 said:

battery isn't a priority because it is going to be used more as a portable workstation

I would think that battery WOULD be a priority in a portable workstation.

If you really want a powerhouse of a workstation with portability, perhaps you should custom build something like a mini-ITX rig in a portable rack case like this.  This way you can add any monitor you want.

5lidrack2.jpg

On 3/22/2017 at 5:19 AM, chris76816 said:

4k colour accurate display

Hard to find in a laptop, especially gaming laptops.  And color accurate how?

Apple's new 2016 rMBP totes a panel capable of DCI-P3 color space.

Dell's PremiereColor and HP's DreamColor panels have wide gamuts and pretty good color accuracy.  You can find Dell and HP workstations with these panel, they'll likely cost more than your current budget.

Also, even if manufacturers claim "color accuracy" you still need to calibrate it every once in a while.

Something like a Dell 7720 (or something similar from HP) would be the kind of non-MacBook Pro (meaning Windows based) machines that I would consider as a portable workstation.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-17-7720-laptop/pd?oc=xctop772017_us_sapp&ref=PD_Family

And it would cost me about $4600 with the bare minimum of specs I'd customize into the setup.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

49 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

And it would cost me about $4600 with the bare minimum of specs I'd customize into the setup.

His budget is also in AUD. LOL. Look at the displays I linked. Those are best in class of commercially available displays. Apple's display doesn't fit on anything because of it's aspect ratio. XPS15's is a custom sharp display. HP's Dreamcolor is damn near impossible to source. Same thing applies for Dell's PremiereColor. Do you know what panels they are for Dreamcolor and PremiereColor? And what pins they use? I'd source them if I knew where, for my laptops that aren't business notebooks already. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, Pendragon said:

His budget is also in AUD. LOL. Look at the displays I linked. Those are best in class of commercially available displays. Apple's display doesn't fit on anything because of it's aspect ratio. XPS15's is a custom sharp display. HP's Dreamcolor is damn near impossible to source. Same thing applies for Dell's PremiereColor. Do you know what panels they are for Dreamcolor and PremiereColor? And what pins they use? I'd source them if I knew where, for my laptops that aren't business notebooks already. 

Yeah I know his budget is in AUD.  I was trying to make a point.  The OP want's a workstation, a portable one, for video editing and he/she/it seems to want desktop type of performance.  And the laptop he/she/it is first considering is a gaming laptop.

For me, a portable workstation for work like video/photo editing is something similar in terms of size and weight to a 15" MacBook Pro with similar battery life.  I have a heavy duty powerhouse of a workstation at the studio for doing the heavy lifting.  A portable workstation is there only to let me do some work on the road, while away from the studio. A bloated, heavy, shitty battery life gaming laptop... I'd injure my back carrying it together with heavy camera gear.

I don't know who actually manufactures the panels for Dell's and HP's "Premium Panels", but when it comes to top of the line panels for color work I consider Eizo and NEC to be among the best.  Dell's and HP's premium panels probably are within the top 5 list if not the second/third best after Eizo and NEC.  But I don't know who actually manufactures any of those panels.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Yeah, @Pendragon has the basics down.

- Gsync-capable GPUs (there's an extra resistor on them to denote them from normal cards)

- Gsync-capable GPU BIOSes must be flashed to those GPUs

- Gsync-capable BIOS must be flashed to the system

- Gsync-capable screen must be attached to the system, with a BIOS key acknowledging its model number as Gsync capable

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday