M50x...or?

abdul94

Looking to get a new pair of headsets that will last me a long while and was considering the audio technica m50x so i can use them for gaming and out and about when needed.

The M50x always gets great reviews from what i've seen but was wondering if there were any contenders, the M50x's are £125 anything around that price range would be great, just looking for few other suggestions would like to shop around before i buy some!

cheers 

Some reasons to consider M50x:

Some reasons to consider others (?) (I know It says hip-hop, but they are still good headphones)

Personally I trust these guys from audio46, I think they make very good and somehow objective reviews! I hope you find this useful!

they are FAR from the best in their price range. They also suck ass for gaming, because they have zero soundstage at all. Their comfort is also rather bad if you want to use them for more than 2 hours and they have quite sharp highs. Just to be sure here, they are not flat, they are not "neutral", they have a pretty decent bass boost. You should only get them if you want to use them on the go.

If you only need home use then some HD280 or DT770 will offer a bit better audio quality and comfort for the same price.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they are FAR from the best in their price range. They also suck ass for gaming, because they have zero soundstage at all. Their comfort is also rather bad if you want to use them for more than 2 hours and they have quite sharp highs. Just to be sure here, they are not flat, they are not "neutral", they have a pretty decent bass boost. You should only get them if you want to use them on the go.

If you only need home use then some HD280 or DT770 will offer a bit better audio quality and comfort for the same price.

I do play cs quiet a bit but as for comfort i dont game loads anymore so that may not be too much of an issue.
from what youre saying maybe listening for sound on csgo these should be a skip?

Cheers for the info! 

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Studio-Headphones/Sennheiser-HD-558-High-Open-Over-Technology/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489866539&sr=8-3&keywords=sennheiser+headphone

Also thoughts on the 558's?

1 minute ago, abdul94 said:

I do play cs quiet a bit but as for comfort i dont game loads anymore so that may not be too much of an issue.
from what youre saying maybe listening for sound on csgo these should be a skip?

Cheers for the info! 

yes very much a skip. The K553 and the NVX XPT100 would have the biggest soundstage I have ever heard in closed headphones, but you might not like how they sound.

I personally used some DT 770 when I went to lans and they have a decent soundstage

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, abdul94 said:

pretty good. Balanced sound with a small mid bass bump and open so the leak sound in and out

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yes very much a skip. The K553 and the NVX XPT100 would have the biggest soundstage I have ever heard in closed headphones, but you might not like how they sound.

I personally used some DT 770 when I went to lans and they have a decent soundstage

Sorry for keep badgering you =p but the Dt770 have 80ohm, 250ohm, 32 ohm, and 16 ohm as someone who has no clue which would be the best option xD

Just now, abdul94 said:

Sorry for keep badgering you =p but the Dt770 have 80ohm, 250ohm, 32 ohm, and 16 ohm as someone who has no clue which would be the best option xD

the required power wouldn't change much. It is said that the 80 Ohm version has a bit more bass, but I cannot say how much exactly since I have only tried the 250Ohm, but we are talking very little extra bass.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

the required power wouldn't change much. It is said that the 80 Ohm version has a bit more bass, but I cannot say how much exactly since I have only tried the 250Ohm, but we are talking very little extra bass.

Thanks i think ill grab a pair of the beyerdynamic 250ohm, thanks for the info on the gaming perspective! 

Just now, abdul94 said:

Thanks i think ill grab a pair of the beyerdynamic 250ohm, thanks for the info on the gaming perspective! 

What onboard do you have? They aren't easy to power, but they also aren't hard.

8 minutes ago, abdul94 said:

found your mobo and onboard via your profile, you should be fine.

As a long time M50x user myself, the sound quality is fantastic. The comfort is great, quality is great, everything about the headset is fantastic. You can even order custom skins for the headset or different ear cups.

the sky is up

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Have you used them? I have the M40x and they work great for me...

38 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

Have you used them? I have the M40x and they work great for me...

the m50x and m40x are very different headphones, the m40x has a soundstage (not big, but it is there), less bass boost and no harsh treble. Look at my profile and you will see that I sadly own the m50 which is just the m50x with a cable you can't remove and just look at my signature and you will see a link to a topic about the m50x.