Can't Clone Hard Drive

aceeder2000

I received my WD 2 tb black yesterday and have been trying to clone my old seagate hard drive to it ever since. My first problem was that windows disk manager was not recognizing the WD HD and I ended up having to use windows memory diagnostic to make it appear in disk manager because it would disappear every time i shut off my computer. I have attempted to clone the seagate drive using Ease US, AOEMI, aand Macrium reflect and all of them will get about 1/3 to 1/2 complete and will give me an error message in which all have been different. Most of the error messages have been about partitions being locked or having bad sectors on the new drive. Despite this, I have ran diagnostics on both of my hard drives using crystaldiskinfo and neither of them have any issues at all. I just ran memory diagnostic again and the WD HD isn't even showing up on Disk manager anymore. Help!

bad sata cable?

sounds like the crap i encountered with a bad sata cable :P

Just now, manikyath said:

bad sata cable?

sounds like the crap i encountered with a bad sata cable :P

Should I try to swap the SATA cables on the two hard drives or just get a new one?

Just now, aceeder2000 said:

Should I try to swap the SATA cables on the two hard drives or just get a new one?

do you have any spares laying around? if not, try flipping the cable around first.

do you have any spares laying around? if not, try flipping the cable around first.

I don't think i have any extra ones. Do you mean putting the end that's currently in the motherboard into the hard drive?

1 minute ago, aceeder2000 said:

I don't think i have any extra ones. Do you mean putting the end that's currently in the motherboard into the hard drive?

yes. i know it sounds silly, but sometimes it does the trick to at least get some use out an iffy cable :P

yes. i know it sounds silly, but sometimes it does the trick to at least get some use out an iffy cable :P

Haha alright dude. I also forgot to mention my BIOS will recognize the drive every time. I'll be back in a bit i'll see if that switch helps windows to recognize my drive. 

3 minutes ago, aceeder2000 said:

Haha alright dude. I also forgot to mention my BIOS will recognize the drive every time. I'll be back in a bit i'll see if that switch helps windows to recognize my drive. 

just remembered, WD blacks have a terrible sata connector, so it could just be the cable not staying seated properly.

31 minutes ago, manikyath said:

just remembered, WD blacks have a terrible sata connector, so it could just be the cable not staying seated properly.

So I ended up flipping the SATA cables aand my seagate still coems up but my WD doesn't. I actually have a couple SATA cables in my new motherboard box i ordered. I wasn't even thinking of that so im just going to replace both cables from my old motherboard and put in the new ones and see if that helps? BRB

53 minutes ago, manikyath said:

UGHHH. This time the BIOS recognized the WD drive with the new SATA cables but it still doesnt show up in disk management. I tried messing with the cord on the WD drive and i get a half satisfying click but it doesn't go in any further. Any other ideas?

30 minutes ago, aceeder2000 said:

Any other ideas?

contact the store you got it from and say you think you may have a bad unit? just explain to them that you cant even get it to show up reliably, chances are that they'll happily replace it, appareantly hard drives are one of the easiest components to get RMA's on.