Certain settings locked by organization's settings

So has anyone come across this irritating thing in windows 10 where out of the blue, you cant change certain settings in menus like display settings or lock screen wallpapers, with a message telling you in similar words "certain settings are restricted by your organization's policy" or some crap. I've had a few machines on my fleet come back with this irritating feature and can't find a quick way round it, i've been re-imaging them every bloody time and its getting annoying. Help plz ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Start run by Win+R and type in gpedit.msc , there'll you'll find the thread to fix it.

I'm looking for it as soon as I find it, I'll be back to you.

Just now, Zackbare said:

Start run by Win+R and type in gpedit.msc , there'll you'll find the thread to fix it.

It happened because of some manipulation done either by you unknowingly or by any 3rd party app.

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

You've to look in administrative templates of both user and computer

4 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

So has anyone come across this irritating thing in windows 10 where out of the blue, you cant change certain settings in menus like display settings or lock screen wallpapers, with a message telling you in similar words "certain settings are restricted by your organization's policy" or some crap. I've had a few machines on my fleet come back with this irritating feature and can't find a quick way round it, i've been re-imaging them every bloody time and its getting annoying. Help plz ?

Click on administrative templates, then on all settings (left) then click on all settings at right and click on state by scrolling right, look for any policy if enabled or disabled, if yes then change it to not configured by opening it. Look for it both in user and computer configuration and tell me back.

If they are domain computers changing the local group policy wont do anything. you will actually have to go to your domain controller and unset the settings there

2 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Click on administrative templates, then on all settings (left) then click on all settings at right and click on state by scrolling right, look for any policy if enabled or disabled, if yes then change it to not configured by opening it. Look for it both in user and computer configuration and tell me back.

i'm not currently at work, il have a look tomorrow if i can find a machine that exhibits this behaviour, and il get back to you

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, nickil333 said:

If they are domain computers changing the local group policy wont do anything. you will actually have to go to your domain controller and unset the settings there

they are not domain machines, all local installations

Home PC:

Work PC:

1 minute ago, nickil333 said:

I almost forgot that.

Also some settings set in group policy cannot be unset you actually have to set them to be the opposite (So if enabled disable, Apply, then not configured because otherwise the settings will still be applied) and vice versa.

Just now, nickil333 said:

Also some settings set in group policy cannot be unset you actually have to set them to be the opposite (So if enabled disable, Apply, then not configured because otherwise the settings will still be applied

i've never really fiddled around too much with group policy editor tbh, other than locking people wallpapers to really embarrasing shit, il check it out tomorrow and see what i can do

Home PC:

Work PC:

I have actually been formally trained in how to properly operate a domain and apply group policy settings.

Is it always the same settings that are locked?? If so what settings are they??

sounds similar to a problem i encountered last month. turns out it was some malware. does your UAC work? if it doesn't im guessing it might be the same problem as mine. gpedits didn't work. had to clean out my temp folders, registry, services.. look under your installed programs and sort them out by latest install, see anything suspicious?

4 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

sounds similar to a problem i encountered last month. turns out it was some malware. does your UAC work? if it doesn't im guessing it might be the same problem as mine. gpedits didn't work. had to clean out my temp folders, registry, services.. look under your installed programs and sort them out by latest install, see anything suspicious?

jeez, if it does turn out to be malware il just re-image them and be done with it, i'll have a look and let you know.

Home PC:

Work PC: