4 x 8 gb or 2 x 16 gb question

Hi i plan to buy ddr4 trident z 3200mhz a total of 32gb. 

is it better to buy 8GB x 4slot or 16 GB x 2slot 

both total up 32gb, which is better and faster? i mean i know 16gb x 2 slot is more futureproof for 64gb ram, but i think 32gb ddr4 is going to last for a very long time.

just wondering if using all 4 slots 8GB x 4 will be faster in any way? or 16GB x 2?

If your cpu supports quad channel memory then go 4x8 else go with what's cbeaper

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

If your cpu supports quad channel memory then go 4x8 else go with what's cbeaper

i7 6700k, maybe planning to buy the i7 7700k. z170hero or planning to buy z 270 hero 

4 minutes ago, danielhowk said:

i7 6700k, maybe planning to buy the i7 7700k. z170hero or planning to buy z 270 hero 

Get what's cheaper and a 7700k for tiny bit of difference in price

5 minutes ago, danielhowk said:

Don't upgrade from a 6700k to a 7700k, it's really not worth it.

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

2x kits are clocked higher, for better CPU-bound performance get higher clocked memory.

4x kits are clocked lower due to just manufacturing limitations.

Sweetspot for Skylake is 3000-3200Mhz, anything higher and the avg memory controller can't handle it. 

idk

4 hours ago, Droidbot said:

2x kits are clocked higher, for better CPU-bound performance get higher clocked memory.

4x kits are clocked lower due to just manufacturing limitations.

Sweetspot for Skylake is 3000-3200Mhz, anything higher and the avg memory controller can't handle it. 

so get 2 kits? higher clocked better right? thanks

1 hour ago, danielhowk said:

so get 2 kits? higher clocked better right? thanks

Is this a new build or existing?

Is your motherboard a 2 or 4 DIMM board?  On most Asus 4 DIMM boards, it's better to populate 4 DIMMs if they are available vice 2.  It's about the board's topology and not just the memory alone.

If you have a choice between a 6700k and a 7700k for roughly the same price, get a 7700k for sure.

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Is your motherboard a 2 or 4 DIMM board?  On most Asus 4 DIMM boards, it's better to populate 4 DIMMs if they are available vice 2.  It's about the board's topology and not just the memory alone.

If you have a choice between a 6700k and a 7700k for roughly the same price, get a 7700k for sure.

im using an existing i7 6700k with z170 hero, so should i go dual memory 2x16gb or quad memory 4 x 8GB?

10 minutes ago, danielhowk said:

im using an existing i7 6700k with z170 hero, so should i go dual memory 2x16gb or quad memory 4 x 8GB?

Check out this thread.  I think you'll find the general consensus with Asus Z170/Z270 boards to be that if you have 4 DIMMS, use 4 sticks over 2.  While 2 sticks is perfectly fine, the way Asus routes traces on the board for memory generally leads to better performance with 4 sticks as opposed to 2.  

http://www.overclock.net/t/1569364/official-ddr4-z170-z270-and-x99-24-7-memory-stability-thread/0_100

17 hours ago, done12many2 said:

13 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Check out this thread.  I think you'll find the general consensus with Asus Z170/Z270 boards to be that if you have 4 DIMMS, use 4 sticks over 2.  While 2 sticks is perfectly fine, the way Asus routes traces on the board for memory generally leads to better performance with 4 sticks as opposed to 2.  

http://www.overclock.net/t/1569364/official-ddr4-z170-z270-and-x99-24-7-memory-stability-thread/0_100

im using i7 6700k z 170 asus hero.

for you guys you would choose 4x 8gb or 2x 16gb for that motherboard?

The 2x kit. It will be less stress on your cpu and allows for you to expand into 64gb if you needed it or want to turn your system into a vm host when you upgrade.