"Custom" RX 480 shroud

Damascus

I have the Zotac 1050 TI mini with one fan.  I recently watched a video by Jayztwocents home where he uses a water block on a 480 and I realized how miniscule the PCB actually is and how anemic the cooling solution is.

Could I swap shrouds?  The cooling solutions seem very similar, both having no heatpipes or beefy blocks.

If this sort of solution worked I'd be able to use a 480 in my case, something I'd very much like to do

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I have the Zotac 1050 TI mini with one fan.  I recently watched a video by Jayztwocents home where he uses a water block on a 480 and I realized how miniscule the PCB actually is and how anemic the cooling solution is.

Could I swap shrouds?  The cooling solutions seem very similar, both having no heatpipes or beefy blocks.

If this sort of solution worked I'd be able to use a 480 in my case, something I'd very much like to do

Unless the PCB's have the same layout and design it will not fit onto another card. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Unless the PCB's have the same layout and design it will not fit onto another card. 

I've reapplied thermal paste on the 1050 TI, it's very basic and I doubt it would get in the way.  I also have no problems cutting the Zotac shroud and heatsink to accommodate (bought second hand so no receipt)

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I've reapplied thermal paste on the 1050 TI, it's very basic and I doubt it would get in the way.  I also have no problems cutting the Zotac shroud and heatsink to accommodate (bought second hand so no receipt)

If it's just a die cooler with no VRM pads and such you can try to see if things align and the bolts holes fit but it will most likely be a case of trial and error if you want to give it a go. 

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

If it's just a die cooler with no VRM pads and such you can try to see if things align and the bolts holes fit but it will most likely be a case of trial and error if you want to give it a go. 

If you were to spitball my chances of of success, what would you give me?

8 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If you were to spitball my chances of of success, what would you give me?

It depends on the cooler if they are not even remotely close to fitting then slim to none, but if things are close and you have the tools it can be done. One of the more important things is that the standoffs are the same and actually work interchangeably. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

It depends on the cooler if they are not even remotely close to fitting then slim to none, but if things are close and you have the tools it can be done. One of the more important things is that the standoffs are the same and actually work interchangeably. 

I'm pretty sure the 1050 TI has the standard acitech cooler mounting.  I thought that was universal?

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I'm pretty sure the 1050 TI has the standard acitech cooler mounting.  I thought that was universal?

You mean asetek? 

Are you using an AIO cooler on the GPU or trying to swap air coolers? 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

You mean asetek? 

Are you using an AIO cooler on the GPU or trying to swap air coolers? 

Oops asetek, my auto-correct showed acitech and I've actually never seen how its spelled

And I am trying to switch shrouds, no AIO.  

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Oops asetek, my auto-correct showed acitech and I've actually never seen how its spelled

And I am trying to switch shrouds, no AIO.  

Asetek's standard refers to their AIO block mounting system they designed not the shrouds on GPU's, they are all different between different cards so it may or may not work  but will most likely require you to macgyver something together. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Asetek's standard refers to their AIO block mounting system they designed not the shrouds on GPU's, they are all different between different cards so it may or may not work  but will most likely require you to macgyver something together. 

Ooh I see, I wasn't clear on how I'd attach the shroud.  The whole cooler and shroud are attached only by the 4 screw holes around the chip.  It's super light

Just now, Damascus said:

Ooh I see, I wasn't clear on how I'd attach the shroud.  The whole cooler and shroud are attached only by the 4 screw holes around the chip.  It's super light

Most are clipped or just attached with a few screws, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it or even just zip tie it in place. The easiest would be to replace the current fans./shroud and zip ties some good pressure oriented fans onto the cooler, I've seen it done a few times with decent improvements. 

KOyqwnA.jpg

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Most are clipped or just attached with a few screws, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it or even just zip tie it in place. The easiest would be to replace the current fans./shroud and zip ties some good pressure oriented fans onto the cooler, I've seen it done a few times with decent improvements. 

KOyqwnA.jpg

The issue with that is it's still quite long.  I'd need to get reference GPU, take off the cooler completely as it is blower style and attach the heatsink from the Zotac mini. 

My main concern is that the heat demands of a 480 are higher than those of a measly 1050 TI and that could cause some problems

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

KOyqwnA.jpg

How well would the tiny heatsink deal if I threw on a good 120mm or 140 mm fan?

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

The issue with that is it's still quite long.  I'd need to get reference GPU, take off the cooler completely as it is blower style and attach the heatsink from the Zotac mini. 

My main concern is that the heat demands of a 480 are higher than those of a measly 1050 TI and that could cause some problems

Unless your having an issue with temps there isn't anything to worry about, and you wouldn't really see a benefit from changing the shroud/fans due to the design of the blower coolers. You would be better off looking at getting an AIO and adapter bracket if you didn't like the temps. 

Image result for rx480 blower cooler

I don't have a 480 at all.  To fit in my case requires a GPU to be under 7 inches.  If I could sufficiently cool a 480 with the fan and heatsink of my 1050 TI I'd upgrade.

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Unless your having an issue with temps there isn't anything to worry about, and you wouldn't really see a benefit from changing the shroud/fans due to the design of the blower coolers. Image result for rx480 blower cooler

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I don't have a 480 at all.  To fit in my case requires a GPU to be under 7 inches.  If I could sufficiently cool a 480 with the fan and heatsink of my 1050 TI I'd upgrade.

There isn't much that can be done then if it's that limited but an AIO or waterblcok will shorten it due to the extra fan length.