ASUS R9 390 too high thermals

Go to solution Solved by ivan134,

The cooler on the strix 390 is pretty crap, but being pegged at 90 is still ridiculous. Undervolting your 390. The stock voltage on 390s is higher than what the chip actually needs. You should be able to do at least -75mv.

So I have the ASUS R9 390 (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/STRIXR9390DC3OC8GD5GAMING/)

It's working fine, and does the job, and doesn't actually throttle, but I believe that it's not normal, as its idle temp is about 65°C, and the fans (which are cleaned) are working fine, if I manually turn them up, they can cool down the thing like hell, but automatically, they don't.
While gaming, it's just standing around 90°C. Again, no thermal throttle, and I can lower the temps easily manually, but the STRIX cooling software part seems to be letting the temp go too high.
What should I do about it?

The cooler on the strix 390 is pretty crap, but being pegged at 90 is still ridiculous. Undervolting your 390. The stock voltage on 390s is higher than what the chip actually needs. You should be able to do at least -75mv.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Isn't there a way to just set the software to keep it lower? Cause it could easily, from what I see, it doesn't utilize the fans correctly, let's the GPU go up to 90°C. Once I managed to push it to the limits with some benchmark, and it didn't give a damn until it hit about 95°C, then it started up to maximum cooling, and sounded like a hairdryer, but the point is that it's not going over 50% fan speed until it's too late.
If only the fans would be more aggressive, and run at like 50-60% BEFORE reaching goddamn 90°C, it would be more than enough.

16 minutes ago, Roycewicz said:

Isn't there a way to just set the software to keep it lower? Cause it could easily, from what I see, it doesn't utilize the fans correctly, let's the GPU go up to 90°C. Once I managed to push it to the limits with some benchmark, and it didn't give a damn until it hit about 95°C, then it started up to maximum cooling, and sounded like a hairdryer, but the point is that it's not going over 50% fan speed until it's too late.
If only the fans would be more aggressive, and run at like 50-60% BEFORE reaching goddamn 90°C, it would be more than enough.

Quote the people you're responding to.

Yes you can with a custom fan curve. You should still undervolt though.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

19 minutes ago, Roycewicz said:

download msi afterburner and create a custom fan curve

CPU - i7-10700K, MB -MSI Z490 Gaming PlusRAM-Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz, GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO, PSU - EVGA 650w Supernova G2 80+ GoldStorage - Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB ,WD 3x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Cooler- Noctua NH-D15S, CASE Fractal Meshify 2 Compact

Hehe, that's what I'm experimenting with right now. Thanks tho

7 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Quote the people you're responding to.

Yes you can with a custom fan curve. You should still undervolt though.

Undervolted, set up a custom fan curve, now it doesn't go over 83°C while Furmark running. Thanks for the help!