Virtual Computer Lab online?

Hi everyone,

I want access to a virtual computer lab online but it seems like most of them are University based access. I'm thinking something like a web portal that does Remote Desktop Services to a private cloud computing environment.

I'm at work and don't have administrator privileges, so can't do things like Virtual Box virtualization here (which is what I would do).

One example that sort of fits the bill is TestOut. It's not perfect, as they provide sort of Flash driven computer labs, but that may suffice. The only thing is that TestOut is a little pricey. Nonetheless, I am still willing to pay money for a similar service.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS: I also don't want to bring in my own laptop to work.

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, berderder said:

Hi everyone,

I want access to a virtual computer lab online but it seems like most of them are University based access. I'm thinking something like a web portal that does Remote Desktop Services to a private cloud computing environment.

I'm at work and don't have administrator privileges, so can't do things like Virtual Box virtualization here (which is what I would do).

One example that sort of fits the bill is TestOut. It's not perfect, as they provide sort of Flash driven computer labs, but that may suffice. The only thing is that TestOut is a little pricey. Nonetheless, I am still willing to pay money for a similar service.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS: I also don't want to bring in my own laptop to work.

Rackspace may have something

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Are you talking about a personal RDP connection via the web? I use one all the time (right now, actually). It's just a little Dell OptiPlex 780 at my house. You just need to set up some security for it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

20 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

Rackspace may have something

I contacted them and they referred me to cyberlink.com. However, looks like cyber link only does remote desktop for like creative software and individual applications that aren't really what I'm look for. Editing software, stuff like that

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Are you talking about a personal RDP connection via the web? I use one all the time (right now, actually). It's just a little Dell OptiPlex 780 at my house. You just need to set up some security for it. 

I could just remote desktop back to the server at my house, yeah. I'd have to leave my server on all day, but I guess that's not really a big deal. 

Just thought it would be cool if there was some service out there that provided remote desktop to servers and workstations with a monthly fee or something. Remote desktop to a little private lab network 

Just now, berderder said:

I could just remote desktop back to the server at my house, yeah. I'd have to leave my server on all day, but I guess that's not really a big deal. 

Just thought it would be cool if there was some service out there that provided remote desktop to servers and workstations with a monthly fee or something. 

I'd just DIY it. It's really easy (I've setup two servers for this) and works reasonably well. If you want, PM me and I can help you set it up. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I'd just DIY it. It's really easy (I've setup two servers for this) and works reasonably well. If you want, PM me and I can help you set it up. 

Thanks, I actually just finished setting up a lab network at home. I probably should just utilize that. Do you just use Windows Remote Desktop or something proprietary like SonicWall or a Cisco network appliance?

11 minutes ago, berderder said:

Thanks, I actually just finished setting up a lab network at home. I probably should just utilize that. Do you just use Windows Remote Desktop or something proprietary like SonicWall or a Cisco network appliance?

I just use the built-in RDP protocol. There are a few online web-based clients available.

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I just use the built-in RDP protocol. There are a few online web-based clients available.

You mean like Team Viewer? Why don't you just use the Windows Remote Desktop application?

9 minutes ago, berderder said:

You mean like Team Viewer? Why don't you just use the Windows Remote Desktop application?

Not Team Viewer. I have to use a web client since my school blocks port 3389, but it's no big deal. Anywhere else (even on my phone's cellular) the regular client works fine. 

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Not Team Viewer. I have to use a web client since my school blocks port 3389, but it's no big deal. Anywhere else (even on my phone's cellular)) the regular client works fine. 

Oh I see

3 minutes ago, berderder said:

Oh I see

This is what it ends up like:

(The server at home is Windows Server 2016 Standard - you do NOT need this for the RDP features)

cloud.png

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

This is what it ends up like:

(The server at home is Windows Server 2016 Standard - you do NOT need this for the RDP features)

cloud.png

Nice! What web client do you use? Yeah I think RDP goes back a long ways...started at WS 2000? I"m not sure. But my trial period for WS 2016 would be nice since I'd like to mess around with it more. Have another 160 days on my trial or something like that

1 minute ago, berderder said:

Nice! What web client do you use? Yeah I think RDP goes back a long ways...started at WS 2000? I"m not sure. But my trial period for WS 2016 would be nice since I'd like to mess around with it more. Have another 160 days on my trial or something like that

It's a client called ThinRDP. The link is weird, so here it is: https://cloud.thinrdp.net . It works OK, but it can be a bit laggy sometimes. But like I said I only use it because of port limitations here. You click on the little arrow on the left side of the screen if you see it, and it'll show you a place to enter the server's address. 

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

It's a client called ThinRDP. The link is weird, so here it is: https://cloud.thinrdp.net . It works OK, but it can be a bit laggy sometimes. But like I said I only use it because of port limitations here. You click on the little arrow on the left side of the screen if you see it, and it'll show you a place to enter the server's address. 

Thanks