What should i do with my new ssd

erg770

I just bought a new ssd as an upgrade to my pc with a hard drvie already running windows 10 however, whenever i try to re-install programs on it like google chrome and discord, they're just forced onto my hard drive because im given no choice on where to install them. I asked about this on LTT forums and people said i should do a fresh install of windows onto the ssd. However they said i should reinstall everything else on it as well. But my ssd is only 240gb so this isnt an option, I watched a NCIX TT video where he just unplugs the hdd, installs windows on to the ssd and then just plugs the hdd back in to retrive all of his files, would the same apply for windows 10? could i get away with just doing that instead?

VIDEO - 

You should be able to just install it on the ssd when unplugging the HDD. You need a bootable flash drive though, which you can make with the windows media tool on your current pc

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

Just now, pelark said:

You should be able to just install it on the ssd when unplugging the HDD. You need a bootable flash drive though, which you can make with the windows media tool on your current pc

So afterwards would that make my ssd the default download location whenever im installing something?

When you install windows on the SSD, select "I dont have a product key" on one of the installation steps and it should automatically activate once you get an internet connection. This should work if you have had Windows on the Motherboard from before.  

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Just now, pelark said:

When you install windows on the SSD, select "I dont have a product key" on one of the installation steps and it should automatically activate once you get an internet connection. This should work if you have had Windows on the Motherboard from before.  

So would i still be able to run everything like my games off the hdd just like normal 

1 minute ago, erg770 said:

So afterwards would that make my ssd the default download location whenever im installing something?

I cant remember exactly where the setting is, but I reinstalled windows on my SSD and it worked just fine. Just google where the setting you have to change is. It's all a pretty straight forward process, just make sure you set the SSD to top boot priority in the BIOS

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Just now, erg770 said:

So would i still be able to run everything like my games off the hdd just like normal 

All your games and programs are still installed on the HDD, so nothing would change in terms of file location.

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Just now, pelark said:

I cant remember exactly where the setting is, but I reinstalled windows on my SSD and it worked just fine. Just google where the setting you have to change is. It's all a pretty straight forward process, just make sure you set the SSD to top boot priority in the BIOS

so it's a setting to change the default download location?

1 minute ago, erg770 said:

so it's a setting to change the default download location?

yup, simple as that.

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Though when you download certain programs you can download it to a specific drive, Windows will just assign a standard drive for downloading normal files from the web and such

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Yeah you really should install Windows on your SSD. This gives you the biggest improvement. You can install Windows, your most used Apps and games on your SSD and just data storage (which doesn't improve much from being on an SSD) should go on the HDD.

If you don't want that, go to Settings (not control panel, Settings) > System > Storage > And than change "New Apps save to" and make that the SSD.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/