Pc turns on, however no display on the monitor

Go to solution Solved by ProjectBox153,

The Xeons you put in don't have built in graphics. You'll need a GPU of some kind. 

My dad had an old server pc laying around, and I asked him if i could have the pc and then upgrade it (since the motherboard had two sockets, i wanted to put another CPU in it). In the pc was a single Xeon e5504, however we then replaced it with two used Xeon e5640's which we bought from ebay. These cpu's were the only thing left to finish the pc, since the rest was already inside the pc. So I installed everything and was excited to turn it on, maybe update the bios, and then see how it would perform. When I turned it on the fans started spinning and the lights on the motherboard turned on, however when i plugged the VGA cable into the motherboard and then into my pc, there was no signal. I already did some research on this and someone said to try and clear the CMOS by pulling out the little battery thingy on my motherboard and then reinstall it 15 minutes later. I tried this and there was more bad luck, as now when I turn on the pc the fans won't spin anymore at all, but some lights did turn on on the motherboard. Does anyone know what is wrong? Or am I missing something very stupid? I already tried different monitors so i don't think it is that, however I havent tried replacing the cable yet because i don't have another one laying around. Also a side note, I am using 2 different CPU coolers, since one was already in the pc when i got it, and the other one (Hyper TX3 EVO) we purchased. Not sure if that would make any difference.

PC specs:

2x Xeon E5640

Asus Z8NA-D6C motherboard

24gb of ram

650 Watt Corsair PSU

1 TB HDD

2x 300gb raptor HDD's

The Xeons you put in don't have built in graphics. You'll need a GPU of some kind. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

hmm okay thanks, stupid of me that i missed something like that. but is there a possibility i damaged something by clearing the cmos?

Just now, ReefGoudswaard said:

hmm okay thanks, but is there a possibility i damaged something by clearing the cmos?

Probably not. You should be fine once you get a GPU in there. Be sure to check the BIOS and set everything correctly. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Probably not. You should be fine once you get a GPU in there. Be sure to check the BIOS and set everything correctly. 

OK thanks man! :)

Just now, ReefGoudswaard said:

OK thanks man! :)

No problem. You'll find that a lot of Xeons (maybe all, IDK) don't have integrated graphics adapters. 

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

No problem. You'll find that a lot of Xeons (maybe all, IDK) don't have integrated graphics adapters. 

I still have one more question: I cleared the CMOS by removing the silver coin battery thing and then reainstalled it 15 min later, however when i now turn on the pc the fans will not spin anymore at all. Do you know why? Because if found that a bit strange.

1 minute ago, ReefGoudswaard said:

I still have one more question: I cleared the CMOS by removing the silver coin battery thing and then reainstalled it 15 min later, however when i now turn on the pc the fans will not spin anymore at all. Do you know why? Because if found that a bit strange.

I'm not sure. Try reseating the RAM and the CPUs.