Upgrade Discussion

Go to solution Solved by Shoob,

Since you are streaming, I'd definitely suggest Ryzen, but I don't think you need an 1800X. 1700 (non X) is sufficient especially when you overclock it, which can be done even on a B350 motherboard. All Ryzen 7 CPUs overclock pretty much the same and the 1800X is not binned, so the price difference is not really worth it.

Hey everyone, so I have this question I still have a 3rd generation i5 (3570k overclocked, check my profile for details if you want) and I know a lot of people that still run i5/i7 from 2nd and 3rd generations in their setups because of the upgrades never really being worth it here in my country.

In short I play games and do some streaming and then the basic tasks (some programming for varsity and then the pc is mostly for recreation).

would it be worth getting an upgrade to either the new Ryzen or Kabylake CPUs ?

The longer explanation:

In terms of use it would be mostly for gaming @1080p 144Hz, and streaming some basic gameplay to twitch (directly from pc using OBS and at a low quality because the internet here sucks :"D)

Most of the setup will stay the same and the upgrade is only for motherboard, ram and cpu. The cost of getting the i7-7700k, MSI Z270 Tomahawk and 16GB of Crucial 2400MHz DDR4 ram would be about $785 US (Could also swap out the i7 for the i5-7600k dropping the intel setup to $670 US) and getting the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400Mhz, and ASUS Prime X370-Pro would be about $980 US (But if i swap the cpu for the 1700X and the Motherboard for ASUS Prime B350-Plus bringing the price down to about $760 US because I only plan on having 1 GPU for the foreseeable future).

The prices may vary as I checked the conversion rate on the day of posting the topic and my country uses South African Rand (ZAR).

Since you are streaming, I'd definitely suggest Ryzen, but I don't think you need an 1800X. 1700 (non X) is sufficient especially when you overclock it, which can be done even on a B350 motherboard. All Ryzen 7 CPUs overclock pretty much the same and the 1800X is not binned, so the price difference is not really worth it.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

2 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

How much could you get from selling your CPU+mobo+RAM

I do not know and I have not looked around at selling it yet. but i could probably get close to about a third to half of the upgrades cost.