Overclock i5 6600k

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
Just now, Agentk7 said:

my cooler is EK-KIT P240

Ah, that sorta explains it. With that kind of cooler, you should be okay to run 1.38v; it's a tad high, but your CPU will probably survive it just fine. I'd try to knock it down to 1.35~1.36 ish, possibly even dropping frequency to 4650mhz if necessary.

Hey,

I want to OC my i5 6600k to BASIC OC i dont want go too far.

The settings i want to use 

CPU frequency 4200 MHz 

Voltage to 1.250

Also i want to ask OC to this settings reduce the life of my CPU ? Or can ruin it ?

Or can i go higher with this voltage ? i accept any suggestions 

Thanks and sry forma bad english

An overclock like that really doesn't reduce the life of the cpu. That really starts to happen at higher voltages like 1.35-1.4 and even then the cpu will last a long time. 1.25 is actually around stock voltage I believe so I wouldn't worry about the cpu dying. You can ruin the cpu if you go stupid high and arnt careful but you are definitely fine at what you are currently at.

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

What motherboard do you have? If you go into the UEFI it probably has some automatic OC function that will do all the work for you.

As long as your CPU stays within a reasonable temperature range (I'd say below 80C) then it won't do any harm or reduce the life of your CPU at all.

Does you mum know you're here?

2 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

What motherboard do you have? If you go into the UEFI it probably has some automatic OC function that will do all the work for you.

As long as your CPU stays within a reasonable temperature range (I'd say below 80C) then it won't do any harm or reduce the life of your CPU at all.

i have MSI Z170 Gaming M3 i read  my mobo have slow mode button for OC

1 minute ago, VVoltor said:

I personally wouldn't go with the auto overclocked as they generally add to much voltage. Up to the op though

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

1 minute ago, Agentk7 said:

i have MSI Z170 Gaming M3

I think it's called Game Boost on MSI gaming boards. Just check the UEFI and press the magic button and you'll be done. Don't forget to turn on XMP as well.

Does you mum know you're here?

1 minute ago, VVoltor said:

I think it's called Game Boost on MSI gaming boards. Just check the UEFI and press the magic button and you'll be done. Don't forget to turn on XMP as well.

yes i know there is a game boost red button but i dont trust auto oc 

8 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

I personally wouldn't go with the auto overclocked as they generally add to much voltage. Up to the op though

automatic overclock sucks, super high voltage for low OC

6 minutes ago, Agentk7 said:

yes i know there is a game boost red button but i dont trust auto oc 

auto oc works fine but you get high temp for a low oc. the reason is mobo manufacturers will set high voltage with a low oc to make sure the cpu is stable. that results in poor performance and high temps.

Go read some overclocking tutorials, or watch some youtube video, its not really hard to oc, you need the right information, some tutorials, and the right stress test application and the right monitoring application to watch the temperature.

46 minutes ago, smokefest said:

auto oc works fine but you get high temp for a low oc. the reason is mobo manufacturers will set high voltage with a low oc to make sure the cpu is stable. that results in poor performance and high temps.

Go read some overclocking tutorials, or watch some youtube video, its not really hard to oc, you need the right information, some tutorials, and the right stress test application and the right monitoring application to watch the temperature.

i put the voltage from

1.176=STOCK to 1.250=OC this are the temps

Cattura.PNG

58 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

i put the voltage from

Cattura.PNG

Just now, Agentk7 said:

i put the voltage from

Cattura.PNG

AIDA64 is a potato test that doesn't really stress anything, use something else. To name two, Prime 95 latest ver (my favourite) and OCCT should do it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

7 minutes ago, Agentk7 said:

i put the voltage from

Cattura.PNG

Now try with Realbench and / or OCCT

Post the temps again and quote us :P 

you should get something close to 65-70c

So some hours ago i created a topic asking about OC I5 6600K 4.2GHZ--1.250V and it worked perfect later on i try go higher 4.4GHZ--1.300V stress test  with OCCT for 25 min and played 20 min of the witcher 3 no problem here

Then i try go higher 4.7GHZ--1.380 OCCT test around 15 min no problem did heaven benchmark and again played the witcher 3 for 1 hour no problem temps 54 with liquid cooling on CPU in game

My question is this voltage reduce dramatically the life of my CPU or i should be good lower then 1.4 ?

go under 1.35 volt for daily use, do not go over or close to 1.4v you will kill your cpu. 

3 minutes ago, Agentk7 said:

So some hours ago i created a topic asking about OC I5 6600K 4.2GHZ--1.250V and it worked perfect later on i try go higher 4.4GHZ--1.300V stress test  with OCCT for 25 min and played 20 min of the witcher 3 no problem here

Then i try go higher 4.7GHZ--1.380 OCCT test around 15 min no problem did heaven benchmark and again played the witcher 3 for 1 hour no problem temps 54 with liquid cooling on CPU in game

My question is this voltage reduce dramatically the life of my CPU or i should be good lower then 1.4 ?

Heaven Benchmark is useless, as far as stressing CPU OCs go. You don't need to worry about it, stick to the main CPU stress tests.

At any rate, What was your cooler again?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Agentk7 said:

So some hours ago i created a topic asking about *snip*

No need for a new thread.

Thread merged.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Heaven Benchmark is useless, as far as stressing CPU OCs go. You don't need to worry about it, stick to the main CPU stress tests.

At any rate, What was your cooler again?

my cooler is EK-KIT P240 i bought full kit

Just now, Agentk7 said:

my cooler is EK-KIT P240

Ah, that sorta explains it. With that kind of cooler, you should be okay to run 1.38v; it's a tad high, but your CPU will probably survive it just fine. I'd try to knock it down to 1.35~1.36 ish, possibly even dropping frequency to 4650mhz if necessary.

Just now, Imakuni said:

ok i try this now thanks

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

i want to try something crazy because im getting new i7 6700k for my birthday i want to reach 4.9-5.0 GHZ putting voltage higher then 1.4 with i5 6600k

12 minutes ago, Agentk7 said:

i want to try something crazy because im getting new i7 6700k for my birthday i want to reach 4.9-5.0 GHZ putting voltage higher then 1.4 with i5 6600k

But.. why do you have a 6600k if you'll be getting a 6700k?? That makes no sense....

Anyway, don't bother. Skylake doesn't OC all that well.

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

But.. why do you have a 6600k if you'll be getting a 6700k?? That makes no sense....

Anyway, don't bother. Skylake doesn't OC all that well.

my father make a mistake buying 6700k he get confused with ^^ i7 7700k i probably get it next month well im gona have many CPU to test in OC ^^