Surface Book Temperatures

Hello all,

I have recently been fortunate enough to receive a Surface Book (i7 CPU).

However, often when I am looking at photos or watching YouTube, the device becomes very hot to the touch, but until now I haven't checked the temperatures.

With Google Chrome and MS Word open, the CPU is hovering at around 70oC. Also, when I played some Overwatch on the laptop, it reached 80oC.

Are these temperatures normal for the Surface Book, or should I look at seeing if I can get it replaced?

Thanks!

Some guy called my office, trying to sell me computers. I just said "oh you mean those little box's with the tv on top? Yeah, our accountant has some". He promptly gave up and hung up the phone lol

17 minutes ago, Shadow5679 said:

Also, when I played some Overwatch on the laptop, it reached 80oC.

totally fine

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

and yes comic sans FTW ok so yes i think so with the Surface book i used to have one yea when i did a stress test it got 81 for me and this is funny we all from Australia

Beth Foster

Xbox Modder, Network Person, Aussie

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

That sounds quite hot, that said, I have never used one. @iamdarkyoshi fucked around with one a couple of weeks ago, so he'd know if that sounds alright or not.

Thanks for your response. I should probably also have mentioned in the OP that it has been somewhat... tempremental. Yesterday, when I tried to open a textbook for school, the entire computer froze. I tried turning it off, and the screen went dark, but there was still backlight being emitted. The keys to change keyboard brightness and toggle Fn still worked also. I took it in to the store, and the person there said that it was a software issue with the device, rather than a hardware issue. Now I'm not so sure about that...

Some guy called my office, trying to sell me computers. I just said "oh you mean those little box's with the tv on top? Yeah, our accountant has some". He promptly gave up and hung up the phone lol

7 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

totally fine

5 minutes ago, ms-DOS said:

and yes comic sans FTW ok so yes i think so with the Surface book i used to have one yea when i did a stress test it got 81 for me and this is funny we all from Australia

Thanks for your replies. Is it still OK if it gets to, and stays at, 65-70oC with just Chrome and Word open?

yes you got to remember how thin this laptop is and how much power you got in it if i remember dosent it

use passive cooling for it and that chrome is a very cpu sucking program

Beth Foster

3 minutes ago, Shadow5679 said:

Thanks for your replies. Is it still OK if it gets to, and stays at, 65-70oC with just Chrome and Word open?

that makes no sense. so running chrome jacks it up to 70c but gaming only puts it up to 80c?

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Just now, Pendragon said:

that makes no sense. so running chrome jacks it up to 70c but gaming only puts it up to 80c?

Yeah. I don't really get it either. I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the cooling system, such as a dodgy thermal paste application, because that just makes no sense to me. The fan was also running the whole time, with no impact on temps.

3 hours ago, ms-DOS said:

Comic Sans Snip

I agree, but the fan was running the whole time, which makes me think there is something wrong for it to be staying at those temperatures while nothing is happening.

3 hours ago, Shadow5679 said:

I agree, but the fan was running the whole time, which makes me think there is something wrong for it to be staying at those temperatures while nothing is happening.

yea i dont know tbh really if it hits 90 then something is wrong

Beth Foster

3 hours ago, ms-DOS said:

-snip-

It's not passively cooled iirc, it's only the Core M3 SP4s that are passively cooled. 

I've had my i5 SP4 spin the fan up and sound like a motherfucking jet engine under heavy load (premiere pro render)

idk

yay I guess

but SB is not passively cooled

i'm doing maths homework and shitposting

idk

Surface book has two fans. One in the tablet, and one in the keyboard, which houses a detachable GPU. OP, when your unit froze, did you shake it around a bit to where it could have lost connection in the dock?

And yes, it does run pretty hot.

18 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Surface book has two fans. One in the tablet, and one in the keyboard, which houses a detachable GPU. OP, when your unit froze, did you shake it around a bit to where it could have lost connection in the dock?

And yes, it does run pretty hot.

Sorry for the slow response, but when the laptop froze, it was sitting on a table. When I was playing Overwatch earlier in the day, it was disconnecting randomly, and then instantly reconnecting to the dock.