MacPro says that certain folders "do not exist"

Oddy
Go to solution Solved by boltoflightning,

Hey Oddy. I hope this helps you out. It's for your zip file issue.

It's likely that filename.zip is either not actually a .zip file, or is corrupted.

Open up Terminal. You can access it by typing "Terminal" into Spotlight.

Enter the command(s) in the steps below into your command line prompt (triple click the line, copy it, and paste it into your prompt). Replace filename.zip with the actual name of the zip file.

If the name of the file contains spaces, you need to enter it differently using the escape \character. For example, if the file is named compressed crap.zip, you'd type compressed\ crap.zip in the command line.

Step 1:

Repair disk permissions. Once done, attempt to open the .zip file again. If you wish, you can do this from the command line.

diskutil repairPermissions /

Step 2:

Use file to confirm it's actually a zip file:

file ~/Downloads/filename.zip

The output should be: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

If you don't receive this output, post the output as a comment before proceeding.

Step 3:

After confirming it's actually a zip file, attempt to unzip it directly from the command line:

unzip ~/Downloads/filename.zip -d ~/Downloads

Step 4:

Step 3 will likely fail. Run the zip command to attempt to repair any corruption and salvage the contents of the archive (again, replace filename.zip with actualname.zip):

zip -FF ~/Downloads/filename.zip --out ~/Downloads/Repairedversion.zip

If it executes cleanly, you'll be directly returned to your prompt. Quit Terminal. Navigate to your Downloads folder and double click Repairedversion.zip- it should unzip without issue.

Alternatively, it may not exit cleanly. If you're presented with

Is this a single-disk archive? (y/n):

Hit the y key. After you're returned to the prompt, again attempt to open Repairedversion.zipfrom your Downloads folder. If you're still unable to open it, comment below with the warning(s) received from the command. If you've reached this point though, it's likely that the file is irreparably damaged.

Hi everyone,

Yet another problem with my MacPro...

Regarding my last post, I did eventually manage to reinstall OSX El Capitan on the mac pro, but now that it all works, I still get some problems.

I use this mac for music recording and I use Pro Tools 12.6 as my main DAW. When I create new music, you can save it as a folder with the Pro Tools file, the audiofiles etc. Normally on my windows pc and my macbook pro I can save it wherever I want (desktop, downloads, documents you name it), but the Mac Pro gives me the notification that those folders do not exist.

I really hope someone here does know how to fix this problem because the temporary solution I have now is saving everything on a USB device or in the cloud (those 2 options are not that practical if you're working with audio). Also, when I want to extract .zip files, it gives the same error..

The error message is as follows: *filename* could not be extracted to "folder name" (error 2 - file or directory does not exist)

The specs of the Mac Pro are as follows:

2x 2,4Ghz quad core Intel Xeon

28Gb 1066MHz DDR3 memory

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024mb GPU

500GB Samsung evo 850 SSD (bootdrive)

1TB ??? HDD

So the Mac is saying that the folders that in fact do exist 'do not exist'?

If so...

1) Create any New TextEdit document, and click Save.

2) When the Save Dialogue box pops up, navigate BACKWARDS to the absolute Top Level Folder of your Mac (probably called something like "Macintosh HD" or the like - we are talking the level ABOVE your User name / account). 

3) Click on that Top Level, and then navigate from there down through your User account to the actual folder where you would like to save your document.  It does not matter how deep your desired folder is located as long as you Start from the absolute Top Level of your entire system.

4) Click Save. 

Hope it works. If it doesn't just quote me and I'll try to find another solution.

11 minutes ago, boltoflightning said:

So the Mac is saying that the folders that in fact do exist 'do not exist'?

If so...

1) Create any New TextEdit document, and click Save.

2) When the Save Dialogue box pops up, navigate BACKWARDS to the absolute Top Level Folder of your Mac (probably called something like "Macintosh HD" or the like - we are talking the level ABOVE your User name / account). 

3) Click on that Top Level, and then navigate from there down through your User account to the actual folder where you would like to save your document.  It does not matter how deep your desired folder is located as long as you Start from the absolute Top Level of your entire system.

4) Click Save. 

Hope it works. If it doesn't just quote me and I'll try to find another solution.

Yes that did work! But does this mean that I have to repeat this process everytime I want to save something? And how does extracting work because thats the bit where i don't get to choose where it extracts.

You shouldn't have to do it all the time. It just tells the mac where to point the save file. I'm not sure about extracting. I'd have to look into that.

It's likely that filename.zip is either not actually a .zip file, or is corrupted.

Enter the command(s) in the steps below into your command line prompt (triple click the line, copy it, and paste it into your prompt). Replace filename.zip with the actual name of the zip file.

If the name of the file contains spaces, you need to enter it differently using the escape \character. For example, if the file is named compressed crap.zip, you'd type compressed\ crap.zip in the command line.

Step 1:

Repair disk permissions. Once done, attempt to open the .zip file again. If you wish, you can do this from the command line.

Step 2:

If you don't receive this output, post the output as a comment before proceeding.

Step 3:

After confirming it's actually a zip file, attempt to unzip it directly from the command line:

Step 4:

Step 3 will likely fail. Run the zip command to attempt to repair any corruption and salvage the contents of the archive (again, replace filename.zip with actualname.zip):

If it executes cleanly, you'll be directly returned to your prompt. Quit Terminal. Navigate to your Downloads folder and double click Repairedversion.zip- it should unzip without issue.

Hit the y key. After you're returned to the prompt, again attempt to open Repairedversion.zipfrom your Downloads folder. If you're still unable to open it, comment below with the warning(s) received from the command. If you've reached this point though, it's likely that the file is irreparably damaged.

14 minutes ago, boltoflightning said:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Thanks a lot!! It Worked!