Finalizing Editing and Gaming 7700k Build

ShaunKL

1. Budget & Location

I am located in Oklahoma, the nearest Fry's and Microcenters are roughly five hours away, leaving me to online purchases.  US dollars of course.  Though I do accept donations in the form of early 1960s Rolexes.  My current costs are around $700 and the purchases final, I'm mostly double-checking compatability and future proofing with all of you.

2. Aim

The rig is basically going to be 50/50 purposed for video editing and gaming.  Please do note that I am not purchasing a video card at this time.  I have a friend who is very kindly lending me a GTX 780ti until I can get my own video card.  I use Adobe CS6 at home right now, it's mostly hobby editing so I don't have a need for thunderbolt, just expandability for external USB drives.  I may overclock my CPU, it's dependent on the noise and temps I get with my current cooler.  Otherwise I'll wait until I can get some nice watercooling and 140mm fans.

3. Monitors

Right now I am stuck with a 1080p Dell VGA monitor and my 1080p TV.  In the future I'll either be aiming for a 1440p ultrawide monitor or a pair of 1440p monitors, both at 60hz.  I do not have any plans to aim above 60fps for games.

4. Peripherals

I have speakers, headphones, a good keyboard, mouse, and mousepad already.  Windows is also taken care of.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am moving off of an ASUS G75VW, it served me nicely for quite a while, but couldn't run newer titles like Doom or Battlefront 1 well and I've been dreaming of a personal tower for almost ten years now.  I want my 3000Mhz RAM for overhead.  I like lightning fast response in my computer and I don't want to feel bottlenecks anywhere.  So even if it's not cost effective or sensical, I want my 3000Mhz RAM.

pcpartpicker dump

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $90.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $104.99) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($115.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $729.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-03 17:16 EST-0500

Swap out that PSU. NEX units are known not to be the best quality. Other than that it looks pretty good, but you definitely will want to upgrade the CPU cooler if you want to do anything overclocking.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3000Mhz RAM is fine. It actually boosts minimum FPS and average FPS quite a bit.

Swap out that PSU with an EVGA G2 550/650, and make sure that mobo's updated for Kaby Lake

idk

downgrade your cpu because your mobo wont support kaby lake unless you make a bios update (which usually needs a skylake cpu first but you can try from this thread)

and get better psu 

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

3000Mhz RAM is fine. It actually boosts minimum FPS and average FPS quite a bit.

Swap out that PSU with an EVGA G2 550/650, and make sure that mobo's updated for Kaby Lake

Would there be a reason not to get a G3?  The price difference is negligible between the two.

Just now, ShaunKL said:

Would there be a reason not to get a G3?  The price difference is negligible between the two.

They're both solid PSUs, go for the cheapest.

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

They're both solid PSUs, go for the cheapest.

Cool, going for the G3 then.  Just verifying that this is not another NEX unit.  I cannot find anything online saying that it is.

1 hour ago, Blackhole890 said:

downgrade your cpu because your mobo wont support kaby lake unless you make a bios update (which usually needs a skylake cpu first but you can try from this thread)

and get better psu 

Thank you for the heads up and the thread link.  I am verifying with Asrock if I can flash the motherboard's bios without a CPU.