Minecraft save

Misinthe

Hey everyone, in September I gave my son a computer so he could play Minecraft and other games on steam. He hasn't touched it in over 3 months so I'm re-purposing the computer. My question is, since Minecraft was bought directly from it's website and is not a steam game. If when he grows a little older and gets another PC, will he be able to download the game again and will his world be saved on the cloud? Or do I need to put the save files or something on a USB and save for reuse later on? Thanks everyone in advance.

You have to back up .minecraft from appdata. The browser has a option to get into appdata or you can run %appdata and find the folder.

C:\Users\[yourusernamehere]\AppData\Roaming\.

is where his worlds are. in a folder called minecraft, which then contains a folder called saved if i recall correctly

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

You must USB or put it in drive

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

You have to back up .minecraft from appdata. The browser has a option to get into appdata or you can run %appdata and find the folder.

Okay, thank you for the info, what about the game client itself? Does it work like steam, where I can download as many times as I want?

Just now, Miguel552 said:

Okay, thank you for the info, what about the game client itself? Does it work like steam, where I can download as many times as I want?

yeah

My life

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

is where his worlds are. in a folder called minecraft, which then contains a folder called saved if i recall correctly

Can I just backup the whole minecraft folder?

Minecraft site has the client https://minecraft.net/en-us/. They've revamped the site completely since iv used it last but the download button is on the top left

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

An alternative is to just type %appdata%\.minecraft in windows search or Run.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

8 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

An alternative is to just type %appdata%\.minecraft in windows search or Run.

So I just backup everything in there?

5 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

So I just backup everything in there?

If you just want to back up the saves, you're just going to backup the folder titled "saves".

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Just now, AnnoyedShelf said:

If you just want to back up the saves, you're just going to backup the folder titled "saves".

I need to back up some mods that I put in there also. 

20 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

I need to back up some mods that I put in there also. 

No point in backing up mods really, they're only for a specific version of the game. When your son gets older Minecraft will likely have gone through many more updates.

Edit: If you do want to back them up, just go ahead and backup the whole .minecraft folder I guess.

Edit 2: You don't have to do that but it's easy and backs up everything. I haven't done much modding so I can't give specifics on which folder(s) to back up.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

No point in backing up mods really, they're only for a specific version.

Edit: If you do want to back them up, just go ahead and backup the whole .minecraft folder I guess.

This is true, he will probably outgrow the ones he has now also. Some pokemon and some guns mods that he wanted.

This is true, he will probably outgrow the ones he has now also. Some pokemon and some guns mods that he wanted.

Even if he's into the same stuff, he probably won't be into an old version. Newer/better versions of the mods will probably come out.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

3 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Even if he's into the same stuff, he probably won't be into an old version. Newer/better versions of the mods will probably come out.

Also true, okay, thanks everyone for your help! Now I can do a clean Windows install and put this computer to good use instead of being an ornament gathering dust.