GTX 1070 FPS in games

joshtk98

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area but i just have a quick question, i recently finished, after six months, my first custom PC, and was eager to play games, one of which was mirrors edge catalyst. after finally purchasing my 1070 strix (yes i got the strix, mainly because it was a killer offer on amazon for £370 plus either 'For Honor' or 'GhostRecon: Wildlands' for free) i tried out mirrors edge, had a great time for the most part until i put up the fps counter, with Vsync on I get the 60 fps i desired but often, and i mean very often, saw drops into the high 30's or even low 20's, even with Vsync off i don't get the fps i see on other sites bench markings which is around 100 fps on hyper most of the time, and the crazy thing is I'm not even running on hyper, it'll be on high and the AA will be either off or 4x and running at 1080p resolution, but regardless i see no improvement, the only way i can hit the 100 fps mark is by turning the settings down to low, and even then the drops are crazy, sometimes into the low 50's.

I don't think its my computer, everything was new when i got it and i got the things i believed i needed and i didn't overspend or underspend on anything really in my opinion.here are the specs

Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.2Ghz  (I felt no need for overclocking, surely this CPU isn't a bottleneck?)

16Gb HyperX DDR4

Asus H170 pro gaming motherboard

Cooler master Hyper 212 Evo with both fans on

Kingston 120Gb SSD V300 (boot drive and main programs)

1TB WD Blue (Mass storage for games etc, all my games are on here)

GTX 1070 Strix OC edition 8GB VRAM

All other games i run play fine, Skyrim Legendary edition runs without a hitch, Need for Speed 2015, Star Wars battlefront 2015, For Honor, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1. all these games run at max settings at 60 fps no problem, minus the VERY VERY occasional stutter. So is mirrors edge just a horribly optimised game or what? Also I am running with the latest NVidia drivers

Here are the benchmarks i referred to as well when i said i was expecting 100 odd fps

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2471-mirrors-edge-catalyst-graphics-card-benchmark-gtx-1080-1070-390x

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Desktop.165776.0.html

All reputable as far as i can tell and all similar in FPS

Anyway my rant is over, thanks to anyone that can offer a suggestion as to why i get such weird performance 

Thank you thank you :) 

Just a note, Hyper settings on ME Catalyst acts weird for most people.

What are the usage and temps of the GPU?

do you only play at 1080p? Cause i run MEC at 4K hyper settings with GPU memory limit off ( i see about 7.7GB VRAM max) and I average about 40-55Fps, sometimes into the 20-30s (i think) can you monitor your GPU usage? at 1080P a 1070 should run this at hyper np.

Edit: check CPU usage, frostbite 3 loves CPU OC and cores. open task manager, right click on the CPU graph, change graph to logical processors.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

Here is a screenshot just after tabbing out of the game, so it's still running in the background and i can safely say the CPU is maxed out, which i find ridiculous, I specifically bought the 6500 because i didn't want to pay the extra £40 or so for the marginal increase of the 6600, and didn't want the 6600K because I'm not really confident enough, or interested enough to spend more money on an K series chip and a Z170 motherboard :( everything I looked at online said the 6500 wouldn't bottleneck the 1070 in anyway so I went with it.

Any suggestion on what i can do?

would it be worth wiping my SSD and HDD and setting up from the start again doing a clean windows install? I have no problem doing so, I've got time off of work and need something to do haha

Edit: I did a test i found recommended a lot of places to see if your CPU is a bottleneck, which was to lower the games resolution to the lowest it will go (which in this case was 1024x768 I believe) and i achieved similar results as to when i run it at 1080p, which is apparently a sign of a CPU bottleneck :( 

BOTTLENECKAF.png

5 hours ago, joshtk98 said:

Here is a screenshot just after tabbing out of the game, so it's still running in the background and i can safely say the CPU is maxed out, which i find ridiculous, I specifically bought the 6500 because i didn't want to pay the extra £40 or so for the marginal increase of the 6600, and didn't want the 6600K because I'm not really confident enough, or interested enough to spend more money on an K series chip and a Z170 motherboard :( everything I looked at online said the 6500 wouldn't bottleneck the 1070 in anyway so I went with it.

Any suggestion on what i can do?

would it be worth wiping my SSD and HDD and setting up from the start again doing a clean windows install? I have no problem doing so, I've got time off of work and need something to do haha

Edit: I did a test i found recommended a lot of places to see if your CPU is a bottleneck, which was to lower the games resolution to the lowest it will go (which in this case was 1024x768 I believe) and i achieved similar results as to when i run it at 1080p, which is apparently a sign of a CPU bottleneck :( 

BOTTLENECKAF.png

nothing much you can do here, it might be possible to Block overclock your CPU but that's it, try to minimize background tasks if need be.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD