usb/hdmi to multiple RCA?

TheWitt

I have a few systems that I would love to link together, but they are all old enough that they do not have aux/usb inputs. The only inputs they have is RCA inputs. I am trying to figure out the best way to connect them all to one other device, such as a laptop, to play music through. However, this means that I have to (at the moment) use three different RCA to 3.5mm headphone jack adapters and then have my signal split thrice by a junky 3-way 3.5mm splitter. 

There has to be a better way to do this. 

Is there anything that can have three (at least) rca output connections on one end and a usb/hdmi/3.5mm jack input on the other end. I've seen these AV RCA Switches that can switch the input, but that is not what I want. I want something that does the opposite of that.

This image is of a switcher that takes multiple AV RCA inputs (I want outputs) and then has the output on the other side (I want input on the other side and if it has to be usb to power it then fine)

41UQgPWvR+L._SX425_.jpg

Sorry if this is confusing. I hate old technology sometimes.

1 hour ago, TheWi77 said:

Is there anything that can have three (at least) rca output connections on one end and a usb/hdmi/3.5mm jack input on the other end. I've seen these AV RCA Switches that can switch the input, but that is not what I want. I want something that does the opposite of that.

This image is of a switcher that takes multiple AV RCA inputs (I want outputs) and then has the output on the other side (I want input on the other side and if it has to be usb to power it then fine)

As @SSL asked, what are these 'systems?' Can you clarify what the input would be and what the outputs are going to?

14 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

As @SSL asked, what are these 'systems?' Can you clarify what the input would be and what the outputs are going to?

The systems are a tx-800 stereo system, a dvd player, and a subwoofer. All three use RCA AV input/outputs.

2 hours ago, TheWi77 said:

The systems are a tx-800 stereo system, a dvd player, and a subwoofer. All three use RCA AV input/outputs.

And can you walk me through your use case (how you make use of some or all of the parts to play music)? Why do all three need to be connected to your computer? Surely the stereo tuner has a line-out of some sort?

Do you have a wiring diagram of your setup? Doesn't your receiver have several in/outputs?

On 2/27/2017 at 2:04 PM, SSL said:

And can you walk me through your use case (how you make use of some or all of the parts to play music)? Why do all three need to be connected to your computer? Surely the stereo tuner has a line-out of some sort?

The stereo has "Rec" as the output, but I cannot get it to output to another device for some reason and I cannot find the exact manual for my stereo no matter how hard I try so I am not sure what is the matter. I do not see any "press this button to activate recording" or anything like that to toggle the output and it doesn't appear to be doing it automatically either. I will take another look.

As for what I am doing right now, I am using three separate RCA to headphone jack adapters that are all 13ft because of where everything is situated and they all have to run through a crappy 3-way 3.5mm audio jack splitter that greatly decreases the sound output and clarity because of the fact that it has to split up the original sound three times.

I am trying to find out if it is possible to get something that can connect all three of my "things" and then run just one cable to my desired input device such as a computer via an hdmi or usb since they are in digital format and thus not affected by "noise" the same as analog is.

I can see why you mentioned just running everything through the stereo, but from what I can see is that there is only one L/R input and one L/R output for whatever setting I am set at (vid 1, vid 2, cd, tape, etc...) so I would only be able to plug in one of the two other devices I am using to power the sound.

If there is a way to run things through just the stereo than I am happy to do so, but my initial testing hasn't been fruitful.

1 hour ago, SSL said:

So the DVD player and PC or sources and stereo and sub are outputs?

The stereo the dvd player and the subwoofer all have inputs and the dvd player and the stereo have outputs but I am struggling to get them to output sound when I am also inputting sound to the same machine which was why I was asking if there was something available that could take the output of a device such as my laptop and then split it into three separate RCA AV inputs at the same time without having three long cords from different locations running into a crappy 3.5mm audio jack 3-way splitter.

I found a "switch" that took the inputs of three different RCA AV devices and output it to one other device such as a tv or a laptop, but that would only output one device at a time, which is the complete opposite of what I am striving for.

Hope that makes sense.

32 minutes ago, TheWi77 said:

The stereo the dvd player and the subwoofer all have inputs and the dvd player and the stereo have outputs but I am struggling to get them to output sound when I am also inputting sound to the same machine which was why I was asking if there was something available that could take the output of a device such as my laptop and then split it into three separate RCA AV inputs at the same time without having three long cords from different locations running into a crappy 3.5mm audio jack 3-way splitter.

I found a "switch" that took the inputs of three different RCA AV devices and output it to one other device such as a tv or a laptop, but that would only output one device at a time, which is the complete opposite of what I am striving for.

Hope that makes sense.

Sorry, I feel kind of dumb but I honestly have no idea what you're trying to accomplish.

Good luck with it, though.

1 hour ago, SSL said:

Sorry, I feel kind of dumb but I honestly have no idea what you're trying to accomplish.

Good luck with it, though.

All I am trying to do is find something like this switch in the image but have it so that the input is coming from 1 source and the output is going to three different sources at the same time. This switch is the other way around and only one of the three is outputting to the linked device. That is all.

41UQgPWvR+L._SX425_.jpg

38 minutes ago, TheWi77 said:

All I am trying to do is find something like this switch in the image but have it so that the input is coming from 1 source and the output is going to three different sources at the same time. This switch is the other way around and only one of the three is outputting to the linked device. That is all.

41UQgPWvR+L._SX425_.jpg

My turn, can you list:

1. The source(s) you are going to use.

2. What speakers you have and want to use.

3. Any other audio equipment you have, e.g. Receivers, amplifiers...

Brands and models, otherwise it's impossible to help.