Unlocked Xeon?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 hour ago, purple_rider said:

I tried to set it to 40 but it went back to default. So, not unlocked. Is their an issue with the bios? cat /proc/cpuinfo says it was idleing at 3.8.

you can't oc it then.

That 3.8 was just the turbo speed.

So, I was looking around in the OC settings that my workstation motherboard apparently has and it reported the ratio status as "unlocked". Is this true or is it an error? I have a msi C236a workstation and an Xeon e3 1240 v5. Any help would be appreciated.

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you raise the multipler? If you can i want to see how high you can get it.

It just gives my a blank box to type numbers in if I click on the ratio box. Will the change be visible in the BIOS. I only have a stock cooler, will that give me thermal problems? Can it be solved by turning the fan to 100%? I'll try it but do not want to kill anything.

There is such thing as base clock overclocking that can be done on high-end boards. but I am not sure. Like what @Electronics Wizardy said if you can see how far you can push it. 

hope this helped.

1 minute ago, purple_rider said:

It just gives my a blank box to type numbers in if I click on the ratio box. Will the change be visible in the BIOS. I only have a stock cooler, will that give me thermal problems? Can it be solved by turning the fan to 100%? I'll try it but do not want to kill anything.

set it to like 40 and see if it lets you. I would be suprised if it ran at the speed and save it, but it might.

I wouldn't push it if you have a stock CPU cooler. an AIO liquid cooler would do well or beefy tower CPU cooler.

2 minutes ago, purple_rider said:

I recommend you to not try overclock it. You might leave with few dead cores and stuff.

Challenger Tier at League of Legends since Season 5.

Just now, tiggar47 said:

I recommend you to not try overclock it. You might leave with few dead cores and stuff.

I agree with what @tiggar47 said, Don't push it if you only have a stock cooler.

Just now, tiggar47 said:

1 minute ago, thegoogler said:

I wouldn't push it if you have a stock CPU cooler. an AIO liquid cooler would do well or beefy tower CPU cooler.

That is what I was concerned about. When I get a better cooler I might try. Thanks.

Just now, purple_rider said:

That is what I was concerned about. When I get a better cooler I might try. Thanks.

no problem mate, happy to help.

Just now, purple_rider said:

its not gonna hurt it if you have a bad cooler. It will shutdown well before it can damage itsself.

Just see if you can oc it before you get a good cooler. There is a good chance you can't oc at all

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

its not gonna hurt it if you have a bad cooler. It will shutdown well before it can damage itsself.

Just see if you can oc it before you get a good cooler. There is a good chance you can't oc at all

The first one is what peaked my interest. I got as high as 37 for the multiplier. 38 was still at 3.7ghz. The last one was to confirm that everything still worked back at stock.

MSI_SnapShot.bmp

MSI_SnapShot2.bmp

Screenshot from 2017-02-26 18-15-34.png

The first one is what peaked my interest. I got as high as 37 for the multiplier. 38 was still at 3.7ghz. The last one was to confirm that everything still worked back at stock.

MSI_SnapShot.bmp

MSI_SnapShot2.bmp

Screenshot from 2017-02-26 18-15-34.png

I congratulate you for doing it, good job, sorry if this is stupid but what operating system is that.?

Just now, thegoogler said:

I congratulate you for doing it, good job 

Thanks

MSI_SnapShot.bmp

MSI_SnapShot2.bmp

For cpu speeds use cat /proc/cpuinfo. That details page only shows rated speed, not current speed.

Bump the multipler to 40, so you know your not just forcing it into turbo mode, and actually ocing it.

44 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For cpu speeds use cat /proc/cpuinfo. That details page only shows rated speed, not current speed.

Bump the multipler to 40, so you know your not just forcing it into turbo mode, and actually ocing it.

I tried to set it to 40 but it went back to default. So, not unlocked. Is their an issue with the bios? cat /proc/cpuinfo says it was idleing at 3.8.

1 hour ago, thegoogler said:

I congratulate you for doing it, good job, sorry if this is stupid but what operating system is that.?

Looks like Ubuntu.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, purple_rider said:

you can't oc it then.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can't oc it then.

That is what I thought, blck still works. I was confused by the "unlocked" ratio status in the bios.

34 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Looks like Ubuntu.

Yep, Ubuntu 16.04

Yep, Ubuntu 16.04

lol i got all excited lol, dw man.