Switching case of a Prebuilt PC

Hello LTT!

This is my first post here, though I've been watching the videos for a while. My question is if it is possible to change the case of my prebuilt computer, the HP Pavilion 500-214. I have upgraded the GPU*, but I want to some Corsair ram, but the specs for the mobo say it's only compatible with these types of RAM:

Supports DDR3 DIMMs
  • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
  • PC3-14400 (DDR3-1866)

So, if someone could point out some nice Ram, that would be great.

When I change the case, I would also like to change the mobo to a Intel brand, because I currently have a mobo that only accepts AMD (up to AMD FX670K (Richland) Quad Core*). So, if this is possible, what are some other changes I should make?

*GPU is a GTX 1050 ti

*Other allowed Cpu's are listed: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04100368 under Processor Upgrading.

Welcome to the forums!

Okay so do I get this correctly?:

• You want corsair RAM
  • You want a new Mobo
  • You want a CPU depending on the Mobo (prefereably Intel)

Do you have the case?
Budget?

3 minutes ago, _Kento said:

i have that zalman z1 neo case, it's a pretty good budget case, but by the sounds of this, it might as well be building a new pc and salvaging parts from the old one.  so you want to upgrade the cpu, mobo, and ram, right? the amount of ram you have is fine, and the RAM really doesn't matter too much, there is next to no performance upgrade with different RAM. The cpu isn't too bad honestly, so you could keep the mobo. Put the money ubgrading that HDD to an SSD, and make sure to buy leds with that case for the windowxD

linus sex tips

Just now, wii8cookies said:

i have that zalman z1 neo case, it's a pretty good budget case, but by the sounds of this, it might as well be building a new pc and salvaging parts from the old one.  so you want to upgrade the cpu, mobo, and ram, right? the amount of ram you have is fine, and the RAM really doesn't matter too much, there is next to no performance upgrade with different RAM. The cpu isn't too bad honestly, so you could keep the mobo. Put the money ubgrading that HDD to an SSD, and make sure to buy leds with that case for the windowxD

Alright. So it is possible to switch out parts to another case, correct? How difficult is doing that? And of course, what LED's do you recommend lol :D 

Just now, _Kento said:

Alright. So it is possible to switch out parts to another case, correct? How difficult is doing that? And of course, what LED's do you recommend lol :D 

it shouldn't be too hard to switch the case, just un-screw everything and put it back in its respective place. Also i recommend upgrading the psu if you are using that extra GPU. for leds just find the ones that fit your budget on amazon, there are plenty

linus sex tips

Just now, MVPernula said:

Alright hold on!
getting all 3 for 200$ is hard.. but this is what I get:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rd9Nt6

Alright, so that case would be compatible with the GTX 1050 ti correct? Also, would that mobo allow for my current hard drive and such? I'm guessing the CPU would allow for better FPS as well? Considering I usually run a average of 35 in most games (GTA, etc)

ahhh, which case should I use lololol xD which one is more useful??? eek

@MVPernula also, does the mobo have wifi or can I use my current PCI-e (the shorter type, not x16) wifi card? 

Just now, _Kento said:

Alright, so that case would be compatible with the GTX 1050 ti correct? Also, would that mobo allow for my current hard drive and such? I'm guessing the CPU would allow for better FPS as well? Considering I usually run a average of 35 in most games (GTA, etc)

Buying all three with that budget was not easy, it doesn't allow much.

Which model of the 1050ti do you have? I have no doubt that it'll fit the mobo, I'm mostly worried about the physical size of it.

Why wouldn't your HDD fit that motherboard? Is it IDE or SATA?

GTA is a CPU intensive game, and the G440 will push it higher than 30FPS but does its best when overclocked. And overclocking is not something I could fit in your budget since you'll need better cooling and a motherboard that supports it.

1 minute ago, _Kento said:

@MVPernula also, does the mobo have wifi or can I use my current PCI-e (the shorter type, not x16) wifi card? 

It does not have WIFI, and since it's mITX it doesn't have an additional PCIe slot for another card.

2 minutes ago, _Kento said:

Alright, so I'd need to run Ethernet?

Yeah, but thats better anyway.

I would recommend buying the g4560 as it has 4 threads and will do way better than the g4400

Alright. Hmmm. I Currently don't have access to ethernet :/ my router is on the other side of the house. ALright, i can afford that ;) Is there any  mATX board with wifi? Or should I go with the Zalman and get a new normal mobo?

That would work if you have a skylake cpu laying aroung/ you can borrow to update the bios, as the motherboard does not support kaby lake out of the box.

And if you go with a m-atx/ atx motherboard you can use your wifi adaptor (though double check the spacing as sometimes the gpu overlaps some spaces.