using phone as a wifi adapter

ilyas001

hello guys well , i(m using virtual machine so i can't use wifi connection on the guest OS , and because i can't buy a adapter i had the idea to just use my phone as a adapter for my virtual machine , the thing is that it is reconsidered as a lan network and not a wifi one so it doesn't work ,any ideas of the problem ? 

you have tethering enabled? is it over bluetooth or usb?

in my experience I ended up using clockwork mod software to enable a software tether between phone and machine

more details are helpful, like what you've tried, or screenshots

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

1 minute ago, biotoxin said:

you have tethering enabled? is it over bluetooth or usb?

in my experience I ended up using clockwork mod software to enable a software tether between phone and machine

more details are helpful, like what you've tried, or screenshots

well i did a usb tethering and yes if it's not enabled the phone is not reconsidered as a adapter , i'm gonna try with that app and see . thanks 

1 minute ago, ilyas001 said:

well i did a usb tethering and yes if it's not enabled the phone is not reconsidered as a adapter , i'm gonna try with that app and see . thanks 

it won't be directly considered as an adapter, but it should say you have a network connection or that one is available based on what your phone is connected to

if you need the software on your computer as well you may have to download it through the phone first then transfer it over to install, it can be an arduous process

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

13 minutes ago, ilyas001 said:

hello guys well , i(m using virtual machine so i can't use wifi connection on the guest OS , and because i can't buy a adapter i had the idea to just use my phone as a adapter for my virtual machine , the thing is that it is reconsidered as a lan network and not a wifi one so it doesn't work ,any ideas of the problem ? 

being a VM doesn't prevent you using the WiFi adapter, you just got to configure your network right.

25 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

it won't be directly considered as an adapter, but it should say you have a network connection or that one is available based on what your phone is connected to

if you need the software on your computer as well you may have to download it through the phone first then transfer it over to install, it can be an arduous process

it started working but still as a Ethernet connection not a wifi one , i need it to be reconsidered as a wifi 

Just now, ilyas001 said:

it started working but still as a Ethernet connection not a wifi one , i need it to be reconsidered as a wifi 

why does it need to be wifi? if you're worried about the connection to a given signal you control that from your phone...

getting it working is about the extent of my expertise

Spoiler

1 hour ago, biotoxin said:

why does it need to be wifi? if you're worried about the connection to a given signal you control that from your phone...

getting it working is about the extent of my expertise

well let me explain to you , i'm learning ethical hacking , so most times i will not be able to connecte to a wifi because my objectif is to hack it in the first place same thing for many other tasks , i need a working wifi adapter , not Ethernet to do that 

On 2/25/2017 at 4:25 AM, ilyas001 said:

well let me explain to you , i'm learning ethical hacking , so most times i will not be able to connecte to a wifi because my objectif is to hack it in the first place same thing for many other tasks , i need a working wifi adapter , not Ethernet to do that 

I see, you're going to probably need a bit more than your phone for proper packet monitoring if that's how you're going about it, my suggestion is build a kali-linux raspberry instead, much better over a phone solution for more hacking purposes than just getting access

also consider buying a pony express??? just thoughts

Spoiler