Building a server using RYZEN

Cyrel

What do you think about this idea? There are various RYZEN CPU's from 129 bucks to 500, would it be wise to build a cheap server?

Just now, Cyrel said:

What do you think about this idea? There are various RYZEN CPU's from 129 bucks to 500, would it be wise to build a cheap server?

What do you need it for? It'll be fine for a cheap server yes but if you're going to be doing something slightly more demanding wait a few months for Naples server CPUs.

You can build a server with any processor, it is a matter of knowing what you want to use the server for and budgeting appropriately. Building a simple file server with an 1800X will just be pissing money away. The lower speed/lower cost processors won't be out until the 2nd half of this year. Not to mention waiting for motherboard prices and availability to improve. When I first built my file server I used an AMD A4-5300 APU that cost $55, it was more than enough to handles 11 drives and various apps like MakeMKV and Handbrake. It was certainly slow at encoding video but since it's a server it doesn't matter, it's not like anyone is trying to use it for anything else while it encodes. This past summer I upgraded it to an A10-7600 to improve Plex transcoding performance. It was an easy upgrade since the motherboard supported the processor and the price of the APU had dropped to $75. AMD have said they plan on the AM4 platform lasting until at least 2020, building any AM4-based system should get you by fine, just wait until you have more options to save money.