Smb share mac issues

jooroth18

Previously, I was having issues with multiple smb shares, thanks for the replys they were helpful. But now ive come accross another dilema. When i connect to the windows smb share with a windows pc, it works but when connecting with a mac, it will detect the server but the username and password is incorect, even though it works with a windows pc. Any help?

9 hours ago, jooroth18 said:

Previously, I was having issues with multiple smb shares, thanks for the replys they were helpful. But now ive come accross another dilema. When i connect to the windows smb share with a windows pc, it works but when connecting with a mac, it will detect the server but the username and password is incorect, even though it works with a windows pc. Any help?

Check things like share and NTFS permissions, Mac OS can be a bit picky particularly around access to the root of the share. Also make sure the clocks use the same NTP server and are exactly the same time, if not you wont be able to authenticate.

Also make sure this has been done

One thing to look into is the security level Windows 7 is using. On the Windows 7 machine:

1. Go to Administrative Tools.
  2. Go to Local Security Policy.
  3. Double click Local Policies.
  4. Double click Security Options.
  5. Find Network security: LAN Manager authentication level.

By default Windows 7 is set to Send NTLMv2 response only. This is Microsoft attempting to make Windows 7 more secure; however, it has the added effect of blocking requests from older operating systems that do not understand NTLMv2. I had a similar problem mapping a drive in Windows 7 to a file share on an AS400. I would receive the pop-up for my user name and password. Enter both correctly, then be prompted for credentials again. It would never go through.

Change the policy to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated. It will use NTLMv2 if it can but use a less secure authentication level if needed

Applies not just to Windows 7 but anything Vista and newer.

Also make sure they are in the same workgroup

http://www.trickyways.com/2011/08/access-pc-windows-7-files-from-mac-os-x-lion/

Say for example you named the server: MyServer and are trying to authenticate with a user account you created on the server called JDoe enter the username as: MyServer\JDoe