Windows 10 scaling issue

For some reason when I set the scaling level above 175% in Windows 10 many applications end up extending past the edge of my screen, with some applications not giving me the ability to resize the window low enough/at all to make the whole window of the application show up.  What can I do to fix this?  

I have an AMD APU in my laptop connected via HDMI to a Vizio tv with a max resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Scaling in Windows sucks......

is this on the tv or the laptop monitor? Try the other display and see if the same thing happens. If its on the build in screen, disconect from tv and try again.

I am having the issue on the tv, I have no need to scale on the laptop, but the tv is far enough away for me to need.  Disconnecting/reconnecting didn't do anything.  

Also, I don't know if it helps to know this, but I have it set up to only output my display to the tv, not the screen on the laptop.

Can you, just for testing, duplicate the two screens instead of external only? Then increase scaling. 

The application window still extends too far down past the task bar, on both the laptop screen and the tv.

I have done that, but I would like to display my system in 1920x1080 so I can watch videos at that resolution

3 hours ago, RUWO_builder said:

Scaling in Windows sucks......

is this on the tv or the laptop monitor? Try the other display and see if the same thing happens. If its on the build in screen, disconect from tv and try again.

It has nothing to do with the Scaling. People blame things on things they don't understand.

Wait, they've already fixed the issue with opening Windows Explorer (eg. any folder) when scaling is over 150%?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

To me, you issue sounds like (as you said it happens on multiple software, and not just one) you need to adjust over-scan or under-scan adjustments. HDMI is pain like that. It doesn't have the reliability and easy of use of DisplayPort (or even the aged old DVI). Keep in mind that you need to restart your system after you adjust your settings.

Also, I am assuming that you are not using some third party software that adds window positional features, or other things. If you do, uninstall them, and restart your system. I am not familiar with AMD GPUs, so go through all the options and make sure you have nothing in this regard enabled.

If nothings helps, ensure you have the latest graphics card drivers installed.

6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Wait, they've already fixed the issue with opening Windows Explorer (eg. any folder) when scaling is over 150%?

They are many laptops, tablets with higher DPI settings. And at my past job I had a 4K monitors and was doing DPI scaling of the companies software. No such issue exists, that I can assure you, at least with Nvidia GPUs and Intel integrated graphics solutions.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

They are many laptops, tablets with higher DPI settings. And at my past job I had a 4K monitors and was doing DPI scaling of the companies software. No such issue exists, that I can assure you, at least with Nvidia and Intel GPUs.

Will try it then. Though Lenovo's software doesn't have ANY scaling which is shame.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

it's not an overscan/underscan issue. the only part that extends past viewing is the application window. for example in these screenshots, I cannot click any of the buttons at the bottom of the window unless I hide the taskbar, I would normally just resize the window to compensate for that, but this application window and others don't allow it, or not enough to solve the problem.scaling issue.pngscaling 2.png

14 minutes ago, revancypher said:

it's not an overscan/underscan issue. the only part that extends past viewing is the application window. for example in these screenshots, I cannot click any of the buttons at the bottom of the window unless I hide the taskbar, I would normally just resize the window to compensate for that, but this application window and others don't allow it, or not enough to solve the problem.scaling issue.pngscaling 2.png

Oh! I see. But that is not ALL applications. That is a or some panels/application.

There is no real fix for this. Forcing the window smaller with a tool can lead to cut content. The problem has to do that back in the old days, Win32 programs never considered high-DPI displays. That is why UWP apps are always scalable, and always have a scroll bar for everything that is cut, from its menu to the content. The only fix is that dev of the software implements scrolling pane where the content is.

21 minutes ago, revancypher said:

Oh! I see. But that is not ALL applications. That is a or some panels/application.

There is no real fix for this. Forcing the window smaller with a tool can lead to cut content. The problem has to do that back in the old days, Win32 programs never considered high-DPI displays. That is why UWP apps are always scalable, and always have a scroll bar for everything that is cut, from its menu to the content. The only fix is that dev of the software implements scrolling pane where the content is.

For the affected application (not panels) you can disable scaling form the Properties panel of the program executable (or its shortcuts), but now the program will appear small.

In a normal situation, the problem you face should not happen as the DPI would be sufficiently large for the display size and resolution. For example, a 4K 27inch display the recommended DPI is 150 or 175%. For a 4K 24inch, it would be 175% to 200% (or 150% if you have good eye site, and don't mind the a bit small layout, but still fine). Another example, Surface Pro line are all set by default at 200% DPI, you will not have problems, and things will be at the appropriate size. Of course, setting it to way too high like 350%, is asking for trouble for the resolution/display.