Defragment - SSDs?

Tech Wizard

Hey, I have 2x SSDs and 0 HDDs in my PC. Does SSDs need to be defragged, or is that only HDDs?
If SSDs don't need to be defragged, is there any harm in doing it anyways? Thanks

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

You should not defrag SSDs, it will reduce the lifespan. 

That said, if you're defragging through Windows 10 (this may apply to other versions, but I'm unsure on that), it will not actually defrag the SSD, it will run TRIM, which is kind of like defragging HDDs but for SSDs (the operations they perform are different, but they serve a similar purpose). TRIM is what you should run on an SSD, defrag on HDDs. 

2 minutes ago, Reallifecat said:

Dont defrag your SSD as it will use loads of your read write cycles, Windows automatically trims your SSDs so you don't really have to do anything.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You should not defrag SSDs, it will reduce the lifespan. 

That said, if you're defragging through Windows 10 (this may apply to other versions, but I'm unsure on that), it will not actually defrag the SSD, it will run TRIM, which is kind of like defragging HDDs but for SSDs (the operations they perform are different, but they serve a similar purpose). TRIM is what you should run on an SSD, defrag on HDDs. 

Thanks for your replies. I noticed my windows has scheduled defragmentation on. Should I turn this off, to prevent any damage to my SSDs?

windows.PNG

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

2 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Thanks for your replies. I noticed my windows has scheduled defragmentation on. Should I turn this off, to prevent any damage to my SSDs?

-snip-

Windows won't actually defrag SSDs, it will run TRIM (though is still calls it defragging for some reason). At least, it does in Windows 10, I am not sure about older versions, but I would expect at least 8 and 8.1 to run TRIM not defrag. If you're on Windows 10, leave it on. For older versions of WIndows I can't say for sure. 

15 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Hey, I have 2x SSDs and 0 HDDs in my PC. Does SSDs need to be defragged, or is that only HDDs?
If SSDs don't need to be defragged, is there any harm in doing it anyways? Thanks

only HDD#s

SSD dont need deeefragging

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

14 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

only HDD#s

SSD dont need deeefragging

Thanks. Do you think I should turn off Window's automatic defragment set every week? See my pic above

HWBOT

25 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Thanks. Do you think I should turn off Window's automatic defragment set every week? See my pic above

i would keep it on, it wont harm your computer or anything. just make sure to set it to defrag your hard drive only, not your SSD.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, SeanAngelo said:

i would keep it on, it wont harm your computer or anything. just make sure to set it to defrag your hard drive only, not your SSD.

I don't have any HDDs in my rig, as stated in the first post. Running SSD only

HWBOT

The hdds are divided in pages, and sectors. Each of them has a phisical allocation in the HDDs disks, because in case you didnt know, there are 2-4 physical disks spinning inside your drive which store your data. On the other hand, the SSD are divided on pages and sectora but they have logical allocations sin they are a kind of flash memory.

When you use your hdd and store data they do it on a drive It stores the data in the minimum storage unit, tye sector so the data has a physical allocation, tye bigger the data your are storing the more sectors It needs. Sometimes you delete files... Hell, I hate my english :( gonna draw something... 

You delete data#2 from your device and It happends to be "surrounded" by other data so when you try to write another data (data#X) it needs 2 sectors so It is written somewhere else and you leave a gap in your disk.

When you defrag your hdd, It moves your data so there are not gaps between data as efficiently as It cans, since Its not perfect.

I hope I threw some light into the matter and someone can actually understand what I was trying to explain xD

P.D: sorry for the crappy drawing (?)

1487517514034-1585133708.jpg

Edit: in case someone thinks I was trying to "look cool" or something like that, I wasnt. I was trying to share something n.n