Please explain Barracuda

Xdrone

So I want to buy a HDD from seagate.

but I'm very confused, there are desktop HDDs that are from the line called barracuda desktop hard drives, I'm just going to label these as the legacy drives to make it easier in the post.

But then there are the barracuda drives that are from the series alongside 'ironwolf' and 'skyhawk'.

What is the difference? Here are data sheets from the seagate site showing comparison between the drives, one showing the legacy drive barracudas and another comparing the barracuda line that I mentioned as alongside the other two animals.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/barracuda-ds1737-1-1111us.pdf

and

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/barracuda-fam/barracuda-new/files/barracuda-ds-1900-3-1608us.pdf

(just noticed that the URL for the second PDF contains the text 'barracuda-new', that might come in handy for some explanation?)

Also I have two models on their website, to directly compare what I'm talking about:

ST2000DM001: website link - https://goo.gl/oMAsDV

and

ST2000DM006: website link - https://goo.gl/mcUOKI

If I could have some explanation as to the differences that could be great, maybe the new one is like a remake with equavilant specs or something as far as I know.

Thankyou

Basically the Barracuda drives are a mid range drive designed to be used in a computer tower or in an enclosure. Sort of like a balance between cost, power consumption and performance.

1 minute ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Basically the Barracuda drives are a mid range drive designed to be used in a computer tower or in an enclosure. Sort of like a balance between cost, power consumption and performance.

But please explain the difference between the barracuda drives in the first PDF compared to the drives in the second.

3 minutes ago, Xdrone said:

But please explain the difference between the barracuda drives in the first PDF compared to the drives in the second.

Looks like the second one is the reboot of the Barracuda line of drives. I'm not 100% sure, it's a bit confusing.

The "Barracuda" brand name came out in the mid 1990s, as an upgrade to the 5400rpm "Hawk" drives.   Development was led by a team acquired from Seagate's acquisition of CDC's hard drive business.   The first Barracuda drive held ~1.6 gigabytes or so, and had 10 or 11 platters, 20-22 heads, including a servo head/platter (so 150*megabytes* per platter, contrasted with the >1,000,000 megabyte platters of today!).   The main feature of the "Barracuda" being that it had a 7200rpm spindle speed.  Traditionally Seagate only offered 7200rpm drives in SCSI until the mid 2000s when they finally came out with ATA drives and focused most of their enterprise efforts on the 10kRPM "Cheetah" and 15kRPM "Cheetah X15" lines. 

For the two drives you are comparing, it appears that the "1" and "6" refer to the variants at a certain capacity offering. 

Basically put, I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers.  HDD performance within a given rpm speed (ie: 7200rpm) hasn't changed much in the past 6-8 years.  So buy whatever you need, but do doublecheck reliability surveys like that offered by Backblaze to make sure you're not buying a total dud older model. 

32 minutes ago, Xdrone said:

the basic idea is the first PDF is from 2011 and the Second is from 2016.

It would help to know what specific drives ( through a product link) you're looking at.

1 hour ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Looks like the second one is the reboot of the Barracuda line of drives. I'm not 100% sure, it's a bit confusing.

1 hour ago, Mark77 said:

The "Barracuda" brand name came out in the mid 1990s, as an upgrade to the 5400rpm "Hawk" drives.   Development was led by a team acquired from Seagate's acquisition of CDC's hard drive business.   The first Barracuda drive held ~1.6 gigabytes or so, and had 10 or 11 platters, 20-22 heads, including a servo head/platter (so 150*megabytes* per platter, contrasted with the >1,000,000 megabyte platters of today!).   The main feature of the "Barracuda" being that it had a 7200rpm spindle speed.  Traditionally Seagate only offered 7200rpm drives in SCSI until the mid 2000s when they finally came out with ATA drives and focused most of their enterprise efforts on the 10kRPM "Cheetah" and 15kRPM "Cheetah X15" lines. 

For the two drives you are comparing, it appears that the "1" and "6" refer to the variants at a certain capacity offering. 

Basically put, I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers.  HDD performance within a given rpm speed (ie: 7200rpm) hasn't changed much in the past 6-8 years.  So buy whatever you need, but do doublecheck reliability surveys like that offered by Backblaze to make sure you're not buying a total dud older model. 

1 hour ago, DoctorZeus said:

the basic idea is the first PDF is from 2011 and the Second is from 2016.

It would help to know what specific drives ( through a product link) you're looking at.

So would it be safe to say that the old barracuda line is quite similar to the new one due to technological advances not having much effect. The newer one is a reboot to bring it back and open doors to 2.5" versions?

Also DoctorZeus, the two I am looking at are written down at the bottom of my post, ST0002DM001 & ST0002DM006. Can't figure out where the links to the products are so you can just search them up, sorry. Mark77, the 1&6 at the end refer to the new and old versions as far as I have learnt through this post, So would you agree that it is just a remake to keep it up to date?