Audio-Technica ATH-M50x crackling noise on one side of ear when sound is played.

siikdude

Hello, so basically on the right side of my headphones, there is a static/crackling noise whenever there's a sound made. This does not happen on the left side. They're currently plugged into the front of the case and I've also plugged them into the back. Here's my realtek settings: https://gyazo.com/5b0405f6bbe1903fabee813f5e6e87fb

Does the crackling change in amount if you turn the volume up or down?

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Does the crackling change in amount if you turn the volume up or down?

Yes, when I set my volume to 50, the crackling does it into a small burst. When on 100, it's longer. When I set my volume to something low like 24, I don't here crackling noise at all.

6 minutes ago, siikdude said:

Yes, when I set my volume to 50, the crackling does it into a small burst. When on 100, it's longer. When I set my volume to something low like 24, I don't here crackling noise at all.

It sounds like it may be a hair touching the driver. Try removing the earpad and inspecting for hair or dust. You may be able to use a LIGHT application of air to blow it out, or use tweezers if you find any.

The other possibility is an electrical short somewhere in the headphone or cable.

Those headphones have a changeable wire, have you tried a different one?

Did you try unplugging everything, and plug every cable back in?

If that does not work, do like what @SSL said.

the sky is up

• 4 years later...

Hi, I´m having the same exact problem. Does anyone know how to solve it?

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2017 at 9:20 PM, SSL said:

It sounds like it may be a hair touching the driver. Try removing the earpad and inspecting for hair or dust. You may be able to use a LIGHT application of air to blow it out, or use tweezers if you find any.

The other possibility is an electrical short somewhere in the headphone or cable.

tysm it worked for me! highly recommend this if you have longer hair 
edit: I used tweezers for longer hair but maybe air will be enough with shorter hair

• 10 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 4:20 AM, SSL said:

Oh my god. Dude. I love you so much. I genuinely thought my headphones were toast for the longest time, and all it took was blowing some air into the driver. You're amazing.