Secure fileserver/cloud

Heyo! 

I made a post a few days ago about possibly building my self a NAS. And ofc, it would be awesome if I could connect to it outside of my network.
But ofc, I'm paranoid of some 1337 hacker melting the server and releasing my files into the cyberspace. 

Is there some "easy" solution for fileserver and general network security? Something else that I should look into?

Thanks!

Meow.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Use a vpn to encrypt it or shove it over ssh. Your not breaking that security wise. Then you can use waht ever you want like http, ftp

Other wise, there is https which is encyrpted.

Oh good ol' ssh. Is it really that simple? I'm paranoid about the open ports and such.
Btw, what about encrypting the files on the server for multiple users, etc for preventing physical and remote file access? Maybe some nice web GUI? 

Meow.

1 minute ago, SlimeyStuff said:

Oh good ol' ssh. Is it really that simple? I'm paranoid about the open ports and such.
Btw, what about encrypting the files on the server for multiple users, etc for preventing physical and remote file access? Maybe some nice web GUI? 

For physical access, encrypt the disks with somehting like luks on linux or bitlocker. You will need to make a way to unlock it on bootup, you can mod the kernel so you can give the disk password with ssh. And locks alse work well.

You want a easy web gui over wan, look at something like owncloud.

Sett accounds for users, do you have ad? or anouter directory server?

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For physical access, encrypt the disks with somehting like luks on linux or bitlocker. You will need to make a way to unlock it on bootup, you can mod the kernel so you can give the disk password with ssh. And locks alse work well.

You want a easy web gui over wan, look at something like owncloud.

Sett accounds for users, do you have ad? or anouter directory server?

Cool!

I do not. It will be running from my home and will mostly be for me but maybe also other users.

Meow.