My USB 3.0 Ports will not work.

Djdeyar

As the title states, my USB 3.0 Ports do not work, at all. This is especially frustrating as my headphones use this port.  So far Ive traced it to a driver problem.  I think the xhci host controller is completely missing from my computer.  The reason I need help here is that have No Idea on how to redownload something like this, or even what to look for.

Do you have the USB 3 drivers installed?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

My USB ports all randomly lose power. Then gain them back. But it's very frustrating since I use a USB wifi adapter.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

8 minutes ago, Djdeyar said:

As the title states, my USB 3.0 Ports do not work, at all. This is especially frustrating as my headphones use this port.  So far Ive traced it to a driver problem.  I think the xhci host controller is completely missing from my computer.  The reason I need help here is that have No Idea on how to redownload something like this, or even what to look for.

Check the bios to see if that's enabled or not... That happened to me with my computer and the front ports wouldn't work properly.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Do you have the USB 3 drivers installed?

From what it looks like, all Of my USB Drivers are installed.  However, when searching up my problem, people found an issue with something called xhci host controller extendable. which is what I dont have.

Check the bios to see if that's enabled or not... That happened to me with my computer and the front ports wouldn't work properly.

I checked bios, and nothing was out of the ordinary.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What is your OS?

Windows 10. To elaborate, its post Anniversary Update.

33 minutes ago, Djdeyar said:

Is it an older motherboard? My old P67 Pro motherboard had 3.0 ports but a separate driver I had to download from the motherboard's website (asus.com)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

Some additional Info that might help is my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3.

19 minutes ago, mmaatt747 said:

Is it an older motherboard? My old P67 Pro motherboard had 3.0 ports but a separate driver I had to download from the motherboard's website (asus.com)

There is a USB driver on Gigabytes website for your motherboard.  Have you already downloaded/installed it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

3 minutes ago, mmaatt747 said:

There is a USB driver on Gigabytes website for your motherboard.  Have you already downloaded/installed it?

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Few things.

1)  Did you click the right rev for the board in the support settings?

2)  Windows 10 is not officially supported, so expect driver issues if using ones for 8.

My motherboard is revision 5.0 so I did download the right ones.  However, it says that It cant find the supported hardware on the system.

36 minutes ago, Djdeyar said:

Windows 10. To elaborate, its post Anniversary Update.

in the pre windows 10 days with USB3, i found that one of these 3 drivers fixed every single USB3 problem

renesas

NEC

intel/XHCI

as far as i know, windows 10 comes with universal USB3 drivers that just works on modern boards, so give these drivers a try and it should fix it. if in doubt, just google the hardware string (the pci_ven...............) bit, which will tell you the manufacturer of the device.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

in the pre windows 10 days with USB3, i found that one of these 3 drivers fixed every single USB3 problem

renesas

NEC

intel/XHCI

as far as i know, windows 10 comes with universal USB3 drivers that just works on modern boards, so give these drivers a try and it should fix it. if in doubt, just google the hardware string (the pci_ven...............) bit, which will tell you the manufacturer of the device.

I am missing the xhci driver. Where would I go to find it?

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Might have to update your bios then.  Also, ya I edited that.  There's a part 3 and a correction of which revs support it.  Part 3 asked if you downloaded the driver associated with the 3.0 drives called VIA USB 3.0.

I have the VIA USB 3.0 drivers ready for install but it keeps saying that my hardware isnt the one supported.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Hm, that sounds like a Win 10 issue then.  I have the same issue on my z97 Gaming 3 in windows 10 where it won't found the onboard audio amp thing.

did you find a way around it?

check if IOMMU is enabled in the bios.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, Orangeator said:

My USB ports all randomly lose power. Then gain them back. But it's very frustrating since I use a USB wifi adapter.

Might be a power supply issue. What's your motherboard and power supply?

I edit my posts a lot.

thank you all for your help. Unfortunately i decided to do a fresh install of windows, to see if it would work.  Windows 10 is now corrupted and will not let me factory reset it.  At this point i dont have the dirve nor the will to fix it and tbh I dont know what to do at this point.

28 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Might be a power supply issue. What's your motherboard and power supply?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182294&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817182294&gclid=CjwKEAiAz4XFBRCW87vj6-28uFMSJAAHeGZbeuuyjq8MUethoNjd8MfUwW_VKD2rrq0zmAyzSfOboBoCTj7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That is my power supply.

25 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Or, just another Gigabyte board facing win 10 issues.

My motherboard is a MSI.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I edit my posts a lot.