Ram & Storage size for Pfsense

martinvu.

I was wondering what adding more ram or storage ( ssd ) to a pfsense device would do to it individually ?

Not much, ram is generally required depending on the size of the firewalls state table. 2-4GB is generally overkill for most people, I wouldn't expect more to be utilised unless you are planning on some serious throughput for the pfSense box.   For home use, 2-4GB is more than enough.

SSD will make it boot a little faster, that's it.. I do actually use an 8GB SSD in my pfSense box because I genuinely had no use for it anywhere else :E.  Disk access is minimal as only logs are output to disk and graphs are built from logs so thats about it really unless you plan on using some log heavy third party packages.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

2 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Not much, ram is generally required depending on the size of the firewalls state table. 2-4GB is generally overkill for most people, I wouldn't expect more to be utilised unless you are planning on some serious throughput for the pfSense box.   For home use, 2-4GB is more than enough.

SSD will make it boot a little faster, that's it.. I do actually use an 8GB SSD in my pfSense box because I genuinely had no use for it anywhere else :E.  Disk access is minimal as only logs are output to disk and graphs are built from logs so thats about it really unless you plan on using some log heavy third party packages.

does either of these allows for more users to be on the same router?

4 minutes ago, martinvu. said:

does either of these allows for more users to be on the same router?

RAM size allows for a larger state table which in turn allows for more connections.  Your limitation won't be pfSense, it will be what you are doing with pfSense.

Can you provide the following;

• Current spec of your pfSense box
  • Current state table size (available on dashboard)
  • Planned packages to be installed
  • Amount of users planned in total
  • Any Proxy configuration?
  • Any VPN configuration?

Answering those should help

15 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

SSD will make it boot a little faster, that's it..

well if you are going to game on the pc your loading time will decrease x10. typically Ranbow 6 siege where some people take years to load but with ssd you load in pretty much on a instant

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

4 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

well if you are going to game on the pc your loading time will decrease x10. typically Ranbow 6 siege where some people take years to load but with ssd you load in pretty much on a instant

Its for a pfSense router, please read the title of the thread before derailing it.

23 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

RAM size allows for a larger state table which in turn allows for more connections.  Your limitation won't be pfSense, it will be what you are doing with pfSense.

Can you provide the following;

• Current spec of your pfSense box
  • Current state table size (available on dashboard)
  • Planned packages to be installed
  • Amount of users planned in total
  • Any Proxy configuration?
  • Any VPN configuration?

Answering those should help

I currently don't have one, i'm just looking into getting one while researching more about pfsense along the way.

All i can say is that there could possibly be 12-15 devices on at the same time & i do plan to use VPN, i don't really know much about the other features yet, so i'm going to start looking into it more soon.

A few days ago i went from wanting to replace my ISP's router with a consumer grade, something around asus ac3200 to netduma R1 ( for gaming ) to now a custom open source firewall router :L so i'm still limited in my knowledge about all of this but i'm looking into it more so yea.

Here's the spec I would start with.

• Dual core CPU, anything over 2Ghz
  • 4GB Ram
  • 2x Intel Network Adapters (preferably)
  • Any hard disk over 5GB in size, doesn't matter the speed as the HDD doesn't do much other than carry logs

That will do way more than 15 devices.