5.1 Surround Sound PC Prbolems

liilMatt
Go to solution Solved by stealth80,

might be an excuse for a dedicated AV receiver!

So I bought myself a Vizio sb3851, which is a Soundbar with a wireless Sub and two rear speakers (aka 5.1 surround sound). Thought I doing 5.1 surround sound which using HDMI-ARC (from the hdmi, through the tv, and into the sounbar).

Found out that using HDMI ARC wasn't giving me real surround sound, just a fake surround sound that Vizios technology gave me.

I did some research online and it said that there are two ways of getting surround sound out of a PC. One is using an optical cable (which I used from my port on my z87 maximus vi formula motherboard) to connect to the Soundbar, and wham.... Surround sound. Not really... The PC recongized this as surround sound, but my speakers were only playing throught the soundbar (aka front right and left) and the sub. Did more research and found that using optical cables will not play uncompressed 5.1

The other method was supposed to be using an HDMI cable to connect the GPU and the Soundbar directly. Unfortunately my HDMI port on my GTX 1080 is being occupied to power the 4k TV. I tried using a displayport to HDMI adapter, hoping one way another it would work. It did not help in relaying audio, or displaying 4k @ 60hz.

I realized then, that I have a left over GTX 770 that I could use as a physix card, and this might be able to act as my hdmi audio.

And... it is still not working. (The GTX 770, though recognized by the PC, is not showing up as an audio device).

Does anyone have an other solutions?

Else, any recommendations on soundcards?

use optical. whats your audio source? only the front speakers and sub play unnless its a 5.1 source like a dvd. most games and music and online video are stero only

You should be able to change the setting of the HDMI  ARC on the TV to bit-stream, allowing the soundbar to do the conversion and give you 5.1

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

10 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

You should be able to change the setting of the HDMI  ARC on the TV to bit-stream, allowing the soundbar to do the conversion and give you 5.1

I did try that, but under sound properties, the pc recognizes it as Stereo, rather than 5.1 :(

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

use optical. whats your audio source? only the front speakers and sub play unnless its a 5.1 source like a dvd. most games and music and online video are stero only

What would you recommend me to try (other than a Dvd, of which I do not have a drive for that) to test using optical to see if it outputs 5.1?

On your PC? You've lost me here.

HDMI Arc is a setting to be used between a sound system and a TV. Its like a 2 way road for sound.

So lets say you connect a blu ray to a system and a PS4.

Obviously that sound system would be connected to the TV to pass the image from the PS4/Blu ray player whilst processing the surround sound.

Now, what happens when you watch say Netflix on a TV app? That's where arc comes in - it allows sound to be sent back down a HDMI cable as a sound source for the sound system.

It also provides some annoying switching functions aka sound system and TV switch on and off together etc

The stereo option from your PC is the option you have enabled, it can "normally" be changed to any config, try going through the sound settings and checking the GPU config and setting 5.1 there

sorry if any of this is egg sucking lol

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

On your PC? You've lost me here.

HDMI Arc is a setting to be used between a sound system and a TV. Its like a 2 way road for sound.

So lets say you connect a blu ray to a system and a PS4.

Obviously that sound system would be connected to the TV to pass the image from the PS4/Blu ray player whilst processing the surround sound.

Now, what happens when you watch say Netflix on a TV app? That's where arc comes in - it allows sound to be sent back down a HDMI cable as a sound source for the sound system.

It also provides some annoying switching functions aka sound system and TV switch on and off together etc

The stereo option from your PC is the option you have enabled, it can "normally" be changed to any config, try going through the sound settings and checking the GPU config and setting 5.1 there

sorry if any of this is egg sucking lol

Yes, sorry I should have been more specific. Under "Samsung-4" Properties, the "default format" doesn't allow me to select dolby digital 5.1, as using the optical cable did. In Nvidia control panel, it simply lists which GPUs could have audio capabilities, then redirects you to Windows Sounds Settings for configurations.

As to your wording regarding how ARC works. I think I understand. Does that mean that the surround sound comes only once it passes through the TV? My goal with whole process is getting my computer to output 5.1, mostly for enjoyment of couch gaming. That's the goal, surround sound within games.

Am I right that the audio will be stereo until it hits the tv, then the tv, ARC,  makes it "surround sound"?

3 minutes ago, liilMatt said:

Yes, sorry I should have been more specific. Under "Samsung-4" Properties, the "default format" doesn't allow me to select dolby digital 5.1, as using the optical cable did. In Nvidia control panel, it simply lists which GPUs could have audio capabilities, then redirects you to Windows Sounds Settings for configurations.

As to your wording regarding how ARC works. I think I understand. Does that mean that the surround sound comes only once it passes through the TV? My goal with whole process is getting my computer to output 5.1, mostly for enjoyment of couch gaming. That's the goal, surround sound within games.

Am I right that the audio will be stereo until it hits the tv, then the tv, ARC,  makes it "surround sound"?

Ok, ill explain how my system works as I do pretty much the same as you (albeit with a more complex sound set up)

So I have a Samsung 4k TV, which like you every now and then I wanna connect the PC to the TV and sit on couch and game.

For sound I have a Denon 9.2 Dolby Atmos Receiver and speaker package 

All my AV kit is connected via HDMI to the Denon, including satellite, Blu-ray, PS4, Wii-U and the Denon is connected to the TV (I don't use ARC cause it messes with the Denon AV amp)

If I wanna use the PC as like you said, I just run a HDMI from the GPU (1080GTX, worked with my 970 as well) to a spare input on my Denon. Now here (I think) is the key part. Whenever I game or stream, the sound format shows up on the Denon as "7.1 Multi In"

I don't think a GPU is capable of "bit-streaming" sound, which is required to see 5.1 dolby digital on my receiver, that is done via optical, which is why it worked for you

The sound leaving your PC can be set in the options as headphones, stereo, quad channel, 5.1 and 7.1 (or at least it can on mine)

Does your Soundbar have HDMI switching? aka multiple inputs? - If not, you could try connecting the PC to a none ARC channel on the TV and connecting the arc channel to the soundbar

Ryzen Ram Guide

Just looked at documentation for that soundbar, seems you can't use HDMI. So, I think Optical from the TV to the s.bar (is that how it is normally connected?) and then HDMI into the TV (no need for ARC). You should then be able to select optical output on the TV as bitstream and the same on the GPU. You will only be able to select the sound output to the TV when its connected to the TV and the TV is selected as the default display.

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Just looked at documentation for that soundbar, seems you can't use HDMI. So, I think Optical from the TV to the s.bar (is that how it is normally connected?) and then HDMI into the TV (no need for ARC). You should then be able to select optical output on the TV as bitstream and the same on the GPU. You will only be able to select the sound output to the TV when its connected to the TV and the TV is selected as the default display.

I will give it a try, thank you by the way. I am glad you are helping the way you are. I will let ya know if this changes anything

9 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

As a heads up, my TV is a Samsung un65ju7100. And I don't know what to make of this. So I have just one HDMI connection between my TV and my Computer. And I have the TV connected to my soundbar via the optical cable. Sound is playing, but it plays quiestly from the front (I think only maybe the right speaker on the soundbar). and plays loudly from the rear right speaker. Rear left has no sound. Guesses? Think I just need a reciever?

2 minutes ago, liilMatt said:

As a heads up, my TV is a Samsung un65ju7100. And I don't know what to make of this. So I have just one HDMI connection between my TV and my Computer. And I have the TV connected to my soundbar via the optical cable. Sound is playing, but it plays quiestly from the front (I think only maybe the right speaker on the soundbar). and plays loudly from the rear right speaker. Rear left has no sound. Guesses? Think I just need a reciever?

Take that back, I may have figured that out in the Soundbar settings. I do indeed have sound coming out of each speaker. (yey :))

But I am worried I have just gone in a big circle, since I don't know if this is really 5.1, or just the rear speakers reflecting the front two?

4 minutes ago, liilMatt said:

Go into sound option on PC, and the TV should show up, make sure DTS/or 5.1 is selected and then hit config - there should be options come up to select speakers and then test

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, liilMatt said:

Take that back, I may have figured that out in the Soundbar settings. I do indeed have sound coming out of each speaker. (yey :))

But I am worried I have just gone in a big circle, since I don't know if this is really 5.1, or just the rear speakers reflecting the front two?

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Go into sound option on PC, and the TV should show up, make sure DTS/or 5.1 is selected and then hit config - there should be options come up to select speakers and then test

The test should work for each speaker

Ryzen Ram Guide

The test should work for each speaker

highest quality I can do is 24 bit, 48000 Hz (studio Quality)

Just now, liilMatt said:

highest quality I can do is 24 bit, 48000 Hz (studio Quality)

No 5.1

1 minute ago, liilMatt said:

No 5.1

You could select 5.1?

There is an option either at the bottom or on right click, maybe in properties for config

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

You could select 5.1?

There is an option either at the bottom or on right click, maybe in properties for config

I was unable to select  5.1

On a related note, Under General Audio Settings, the Jack Information is listed as L R HDMI Digital Jack, is yours the same?

I was unable to select  5.1

On a related note, Under General Audio Settings, the Jack Information is listed as L R HDMI Digital Jack, is yours the same?

That's the soundcard/onboard, there should be an option under Nvidia - "Samsung" in sound settings - right click sound in bottom right and select playback devices there

Ryzen Ram Guide

y0rYTTL.png

I cant select my Nvidia output as I'm using my monitor via DP at the moment, but this should show the way

cwuQjPB.png

Ryzen Ram Guide

3 minutes ago, liilMatt said:

Haha, this is where I have been :)

Untitled.png

cool at least you're in the right place lol. What happens when you hit config ? (you're in properties)

Ryzen Ram Guide

cool at least you're in the right place lol. What happens when you hit config ?

Just so you know we are the same page, I will continue attaching pictures.

No option for surround

Untitled.png

Just so you know we are the same page, I will continue attaching pictures.

No option for surround

Untitled.png

What is the TV sound set to? Check its set to bitstream or another surround setting and see if it affects the setting there. I have no idea why it aint there :|

Ryzen Ram Guide