Storage OS sugestions

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Try out their online 2 hr demo, might be able to simulate HDD failures etc.

Yeah. 
Thank you very much man. 

Also if you hit any problems or have some tough questions let me know and I'll see if I can get them answered, at work we have direct contacts to their developers and founders and happy to abuse that privilege if needed :).

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Also if you hit any problems or have some tough questions let me know and I'll see if I can get them answered, at work we have direct contacts to their developers and founders and happy to abuse that privilege if needed :).

Thank you very much.

I was reading and it seems that Barebone instalations are not specific to Community Edition, Nutanix has its own Hypervisor (called ACROPOLIS HYPERVISOR (AHV)) that is based in KVM. Its funny the way they did it, because you choose what Hypervisor you want to use and regardless if its Acropolis Hypervisor, ESXi, Hyper-V, a VM will always be deployed, a controller. 

Here is a quote from their eBook on how Nutanix works:

A Nutanix cluster is 100% software defined. Each node in a cluster runs a hypervisor (VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, or Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor), and the Nutanix software runs as a virtual machine called the Controller VM (CVM) that runs on every node in the cluster. This allows Nutanix systems to be hypervisor agnostic. The CVM includes Prism management functions and Acropolis data plane functions.

Btw do know of any community chat I could join? like Slack or similar? 

Thanks. 

Just un Update to anyone intrested.

Nutanix has a storage feature called  EC-X.

Nutanix systems include an innovative erasure coding technology— Nutanix EC-X—that provides resilience and can increase usable capacity by up to 75%. EC-X reduces the capacity cost of replication factor (RF) without taking away any of the resilience benefits and with no impact on write performance. EC-X encodes a strip of data blocks on different nodes and calculates parity. In the event of a disk or node failure, parity is used to calculate any missing data blocks. DSF uses an extent group as the data block, and each data block in a strip must be on a different node and belong to a different vDisk. The number of data and parity blocks in a strip is configured based on the desired number of failures to withstand.

Which is literally what I was looking for, so basically similar to Unraid in terms of having paraty from an array of disks instead of a Raid for more flexibility.

Im really really hyped to try this when I get home later at night lol. :D

8 hours ago, Ralms said:

Thank you very much.

I was reading and it seems that Barebone instalations are not specific to Community Edition, Nutanix has its own Hypervisor (called ACROPOLIS HYPERVISOR (AHV)) that is based in KVM. Its funny the way they did it, because you choose what Hypervisor you want to use and regardless if its Acropolis Hypervisor, ESXi, Hyper-V, a VM will always be deployed, a controller. 

Here is a quote from their eBook on how Nutanix works:

Btw do know of any community chat I could join? like Slack or similar? 

Thanks. 

There is a community forum and a slack channel. Should be able to find the details of these on their community website.

5 hours ago, Ralms said:

Just un Update to anyone intrested.

Nutanix has a storage feature called  EC-X.

Which is literally what I was looking for, so basically similar to Unraid in terms of having paraty from an array of disks instead of a Raid for more flexibility.

Im really really hyped to try this when I get home later at night lol. :D

Also if you use the AHV hypervisor it supports file services. Meaning you can create SMB, and I think NFS shares, directly from the storage pool so you don't need to create a file server VM.

There is also a self service portal to easily create VMs etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 7:29 PM, leadeater said:

Also if you use the AHV hypervisor it supports file services. Meaning you can create SMB, and I think NFS shares, directly from the storage pool so you don't need to create a file server VM.

There is also a self service portal to easily create VMs etc.

Update: 

EC-X, which I think its called "Erasure Coding" in Prism, Its not available in a Single Node cliuster. So basically Im screwed because as cool as Nutanix seems, I wont be able to use It I believe. 

Another thing, does CVM really need 12GB of Ram? like wtf.

7 hours ago, Ralms said:

Another thing, does CVM really need 12GB of Ram? like wtf.

Not really no, how low you can go depends on your storage I/O demand since everything runs through this VM.

Just now, leadeater said:

Not really no, how long you can go depends on your storage I/O demand since everything runs through this VM.

Just to let this here in case someone else checks this thread. 
So, Nutanix seems to be great for large deployments but for home usage requires a lot of resources. 

Regarding EC-X, called "Erasure Coding", Nutanix Community Edition requires 4 Nodes to work, so max config. 

Im currently testing OpenMediaVault, created by one of the original authors of FreeNas. So far so good.