Thoughts on "Gaming Mode"

hyperj123

Anyone try it out? I saw a video and it got maybe 10% better FPS. Anyone see a noticeable difference? 

Microsoft said that it is marginal gain for Win32 games. The focus was far for UWP made games to bring give them a much needed performance boost. UWP has more layers between it and hardware than Win32. While we don't have a game that is both Win32 and UWP, I think it is safe to assume that the big goal is to bring UWP games closer to Win32 games performance wise.

Microsoft said that they will continue to work on Game Mode even after the Creator Update is released bringing, or at least try to bring, additional performance to both Win32 and UWP.

So far I have not noticed much of a difference BUUUT I did not expect to.  Read @GoodBytes comment as I don't want to repeat peat.

And you can read all about it here in MS blog on the topic;

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/25/new-windows-10-creators-update-gaming-features-arrive-week-windows-insiders/#5LKWwY6pDPsooRr8.97 

Enjoy :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Going under the assumption that a game mode may disable unnecessary services and such, I ran an experiment to see if doing that on my own, along with stripping out programs and such, would have any appreciable effect. At least with Win32 based applications.

It doesn't.

8 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

If you want to try again, you can disable the performance collector tasks, Windows search service, Windows defender and App compatibility inventory collector.

I'm not going to try it again. If doing that much did not do anything appreciable, then doing anything more would also not do anything appreciable. If the services are hogging up so much computer resources that it actually affects the performance of applications, the services are broken.

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Ok. I do think that you would see a difference, but wouldn't be much more than what you seen. And the thing is: that kind of stuff is valid when you have less cores, when your program actually competes with services. In your case, with 8 threads, the benefit you might get disabling stuff should be related to caching.

P.S.: You could have disabled Windows Management Instrumentation too. 

I could try it again disabling some cores, but the only thing I would see having a difference is the minimum FPS.

But again, if the services are working as expected and the application isn't trying to use all of them at once, then the impact to performance is going to be minimal at best.