Friend has a tight budget, Light gaming, More for college work. Will this work?

My friend is in need of a decent computer for work, light gaming on the side. Not too hardcore, but his budget is really tight and have around 400 dollars. He needs one really soon and so building one is out of the question. So my question is that if i buy this hp desktop

and slap this thing in 1050ti. The worst is i take out the CD/DVD drive or put it in a new case. Will this work out? It's within budget and it if works out it should be fairly decent. I gave him my spare monitor, keyboard/mouse so he doesn't need to buy one.

Edit:

If there are better deals, i'm open for a route to do this.

I thank you for all the information that is given :D

1 minute ago, spiralfuzion said:

do you already have the 1050ti? 

I do not, but if there are better deals, then i'm all ears. 

3 minutes ago, SpankMyHardDrive said:

I do not, but if there are better deals, then i'm all ears. 

you cant use that GPU in that PC

the HP pc only supports smaller half-height GPU's

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Used used used. What do you mean he doesn't have time? Because you can build a way more powerful system for around that same price if you buy sandy bridge used. I did.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

1 minute ago, mok said:

you cant use that GPU in that PC

the HP pc only supports smaller half-height GPU's

The single fan one? I have spare cases in my closet. I could just gut the PC and put it in a different case.

There's a half height 1050ti now....

Edit: Actually it hasn't been released yet but yeah it's coming

i7-6700k | Cooler Master 212x | ASUS ROG Strix 1080 | 16 gigs Avexir Raiden Green RAM (because plasma tubes always improve performance) | ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Green

Build Pre Water Cooling: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/np9J7P

Word of warning: the CPU in the HP is quite old. It's 2nd gen.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Used used used. What do you mean he doesn't have time? Because you can build a way more powerful system for around that same price if you buy sandy bridge used. I did.

He needs one Asap, and i'm not around to help him since i'm a busy person. I would if i could, but he needs it for a college thing that i do not know what of.

5 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

perfectly fine for 1080p light gaming, 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

Yeah it is. Sandy Bridge FTW.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

I'm sure it will be fine, hopefully. The worst thing could happen is he can return it and i'll let him borrow my computer for the week.

1 minute ago, mok said:

perfectly fine for 1080p light gaming, 

Ok.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

1 minute ago, SpankMyHardDrive said:

I'm sure it will be fine, hopefully. The worst thing could happen is he can return it and i'll let him borrow my computer for the week.

Let him borrow yours and build him a used system while he has yours. Getting that HP is a waste of money, it's not worth it's specs and people have had a history of getting destroyed units from the "refurbishing" seller.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

I will help my friend build a computer when he has the budget, for now this is something. He's married and is in school, so i can understand.

You can not use that motherboard with a regular case, since it has an inverted layout (pci slots on the other side..)

Plus it has a small, 240 W psu, that uses proprietary connectors to power the motherboard (6-pin instead of the regular 24-pin), so you can not replace it with a better one.

1 minute ago, Dezs said:

You can not use that motherboard with a regular case, since it has an inverted layout (pci slots on the other side..)

Plus it has a small, 240 W psu, that uses proprietary connectors to power the motherboard (6-pin instead of the regular 24-pin), so you can not replace it with a better one.

Thanks for letting me know.