Laptop CPUs & decisions

Looking for a quick boot camp on laptop CPUs. I'll be purchasing a laptop in the near future to work on my game design on the go the programs I will mainly be using are Zbrush, 3DsMax, Maya and UE4, some of these programs are CPU intensive so I'll be looking to get a decent CPU.

I know nothing about mobile CPUs so If you feel like it could you list some decent CPUs and tell me how many cores they have etc 

I will be most likely getting a Lenovo Thinkpad and my budget is around  < £1500 I will also need a GPU but it doesn't need to be anything special as It's just for game dev I have a decent PC for gaming.

ATM I'm hovering between these two thinkpads but I am open to other suggestions as I know I am paying a premium for the brand. You might look at these and ask what's the competition clearly one is better than the other but about 30% of my decision is swinging on that extra battery life (second one has 2 batteries)

http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series-/T460p/p/20FWCTO1WWENGB1?configuratorMode=compact 

( configured with i7,6700HQ 4 Core 8 Thread, GTX 940mx 2GB, 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz, 1TB Hardrive, 6 cell 72Whr battery for £1212.79 )

http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series-/T560/p/20FHCTO1WWENGB1?configuratorMode=compact

(configured with i5 6200u/6300u? 2 core 4 thread, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Gtx 940mx, 1TB hardrive, front battery 44Whr, rear battery 6 cell 72Whr, £1.206.39 / £1296.39  )

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

10 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Looking for a quick boot camp on laptop CPUs. I'll be purchasing a laptop in the near future to work on my game design on the go the programs I will mainly be using are Zbrush, 3DsMax, Maya and UE4, some of these programs are CPU intensive so I'll be looking to get a decent CPU.

I know nothing about mobile CPUs so If you feel like it could you list some decent CPUs and tell me how many cores they have etc 

I will be most likely getting a Lenovo Thinkpad and my budget is around  < £1500 I will also need a GPU but it doesn't need to be anything special as It's just for game dev I have a decent PC for gaming.

ATM I'm hovering between these two thinkpads but I am open to other suggestions as I know I am paying a premium for the brand. You might look at these and ask what's the competition clearly one is better than the other but about 30% of my decision is swinging on that extra battery life (second one has 2 batteries)

http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series-/T460p/p/20FWCTO1WWENGB1?configuratorMode=compact 

( configured with i7,6700HQ 4 Core 8 Thread, GTX 940mx 2GB, 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz, 1TB Hardrive, 6 cell 72Whr battery for £1212.79 )

http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series-/T560/p/20FHCTO1WWENGB1?configuratorMode=compact

(configured with i5 6200u/6300u? 2 core 4 thread, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Gtx 940mx, 1TB hardrive, front battery 44Whr, rear battery 6 cell 72Whr, £1.206.39 / £1296.39  )

3D still heavily relies on GPU, don't skimp out on it.

Don't talk about stale memes.

2 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

3D still heavily relies on GPU, don't skimp out on it.

Zbrush is almost entirely reliant and CPU and my UE4 projects will be fairly small and wont require much GPU performance especially when designing as I will have shading turned off can always test on PC if things get too heavy so should be alright with the 940mx it's got enough grunt to get the job done.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Also for mobile intel CPU the suffix means

H - High Performance integrated graphics
K - Unlocked
Q - Four Cores
Y - Low power
U - Ultra Low Power

So a Core i7 7500U is a Ultra Low Power part
and a Core i7 7920HQ is a Quad Core with High Performance integrated graphics

If you could wait a little longer then the T470p should come out, we haven't heard much other than it having a 7th gen CPU and a 940mx 2gb GDDR5, which should give a nice boost over the 940mx 2gb DDR3 card in the 460p

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

What about this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ndp/Dell-Laptop-Processor-NVIDIA-Graphics-Infinity-Display/B01IMX64QK/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1486653055&sr=1-4&keywords=dell+xps+15

I know it's a bit more expensive than the other 2 that you suggested but this one is better too so keep that in mind.

I wonder what i7 it has it doesn't say doesn't even mention the thread count? weird looks good though I'll keep it in mind.

5 minutes ago, Visordo said:

Go for a HQ i5 or i7 processor, and a mid tear GPU, if you are doing rendering, as this helps a lot with render times.

For the type of work I'll be doing the 940mx should be sufficient would like to have a better GPU but unfortunately that's all they offer.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

2 minutes ago, Visordo said:

Also for mobile intel CPU the suffix means

H - High Performance integrated graphics
K - Unlocked
Q - Four Cores
Y - Low power
U - Ultra Low Power

So a Core i7 7500U is a Ultra Low Power part
and a Core i7 7920HQ is a Quad Core with High Performance integrated graphics

Cool that's good to know I had no idea thanks.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

4 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

I wonder what i7 it has it doesn't say doesn't even mention the thread count? weird looks good though I'll keep it in mind.

The i7 in this notebook is the i7 7700HQ I believe. You can look it up on the Dell's website.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

If you could wait a little longer then the T470p should come out, we haven't heard much other than it having a 7th gen CPU and a 940mx 2gb GDDR5, which should give a nice boost over the 940mx 2gb DDR3 card in the 460p

Any word on a likely release date? Will they be making a T570? really want that dual battery :P

RJ Tech has some great laptops,

http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php

Is clevo a trustworthy brand? I've never heard od them before

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

2 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Any word on a likely release date? Will they be making a T570? really want that dual battery :P

They make barebones laptops, think laptop shells. 

So of course you've never heard of them. 

RJ Tech buys the components and builds the laptop selling to you for a profit.

Don't talk about stale memes.

They make barebones laptops, think laptop shells. 

So of course you've never heard of them. 

RJ Tech buys the components and builds the laptop selling to you for a profit.

Ha they're still a brand though what I mean is what's the general consensus are they reliable what's the build quality like?

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

1 minute ago, moderategamer said:

They are updating all of their laptop line ups to 7th gen intel CPUs. The T570 should get a ULV CPU, so it wont be close to the performance of the HQ in a T460p or T470p. The T470s will also have dual battery and it should have hotswap. ofc the T470s and T570 will have TB3.

From the information I have gathered, then they should release in the end of february - march.

6 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Well Clevo sells their laptops to Sager, Origin PCs and many many more. They are pretty much the best gaming laptop brand.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

They are updating all of their laptop line ups to 7th gen intel CPUs. The T570 should get a ULV CPU, so it wont be close to the performance of the HQ in a T460p or T470p. The T470s will also have dual battery and it should have hotswap. ofc the T470s and T570 will have TB3.

From the information I have gathered, then they should release in the end of february - march.

Well Clevo sells their laptops to Sager, Origin PCs and many many more. They are pretty much the best gaming laptop brand.

Cool don't see why they have the dual battery system in there low power machines and not there performance machines makes no sense to me because personally I think it's a big selling point. No other laptop can compete with its battery life.

awsome worth having a look then would be pretty good as i can completely configure to my needs. Like I said I don't know much about laptops so thanks for the help.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

3 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Cool don't see why they have the dual battery system in there low power machines and not there performance machines makes no sense to me because personally I think it's a big selling point. No other laptop can compete with its battery life.

awsome worth having a look then would be pretty good as i can completely configure to my needs. Like I said I don't know much about laptops so thanks for the help.

oh thats very simple, they couldn't fit another battery in the T470p, but it still gets great battery life when just surfing the web. For the P50 and P70 I suspect that it is because they aren't meant to be 10 + hours battery machines, so they went for other things.

Well have you looked at the X260? That laptop is the king of battery life.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

oh thats very simple, they couldn't fit another battery in the T470p, but it still gets great battery life when just surfing the web. For the P50 and P70 I suspect that it is because they aren't meant to be 10 + hours battery machines, so they went for other things.

Well have you looked at the X260? That laptop is the king of battery life.

It has the same battery life as the T560 one of the laptops I was looking at same batteries. Well near enough if you account for the extra power for dedicated graphics.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

It has the same battery life as the T560 one of the laptops I was looking at same batteries. Well near enough if you account for the extra power for dedicated graphics.

Well the X260 with the big battery is better than the 11-14 hours the T560 can get, one of my friends own the X260 his record is just over 24 hours, but his average is 16 hours at medium'ish brightness while surfing the web and writing in word.

Well the X260 with the big battery is better than the 11-14 hours the T560 can get, one of my friends own the X260 his record is just over 24 hours, but his average is 16 hours at medium'ish brightness while surfing the web and writing in word.

Which would you go for out of the two I have posted given that the 560 has far better battery life but the 460 has much better performance with the 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads. I can't decide which is more important to me?

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Which would you go for out of the two I have posted given that the 560 has far better battery life but the 460 has much better performance with the 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads. I can't decide which is more important to me?

Get the T460p or T470p. I can see that you are going to use it with programs that likes a lot of CPU power. The T460p or T470p should still have about 4-5 hours (with medium battery size) of note taking and web browsing and remember to get the big battery, which should give you a battery life of around 6 hours, but also add a bit of bulk, but not much.

Spoiler

t460p.JPGt460pw.jpg

Get the T460p or T470p. I can see that you are going to use it with programs that likes a lot of CPU power. The T460p or T470p should still have about 4-5 hours (with medium battery size) of note taking and web browsing and remember to get the big battery, which should give you a battery life of around 6 hours, but also add a bit of bulk, but not much.

Reveal hidden contents

t460p.JPGt460pw.jpg

Thanks think I'll do that I don't have all the money saved up ATM so if the new lines out by the time I have saved up enough money I'll get one of them providing they don't go up in price too much. just a shame about the battery.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

3 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Thanks think I'll do that I don't have all the money saved up ATM so if the new lines out by the time I have saved up enough money I'll get one of them providing they don't go up in price too much. just a shame about the battery.

they should be the same, but the old models should go a bit down in price...

Well you can't have everything