thermal paste question

HeavyFtw

do i need to apply thermal paste on a heatsink and the cpu or only one?

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

You only need to apply thermal paste to the cpu, put a small dot around the size of a small pea in the center of the cpu.

-CPU- 

AMD R7 1800x

-GPU- 

XFX Radeon R9 290x

-STORAGE- 

ADATA Premier SP550 480GB

Toshiba 3TB

-RAM- 

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x8)

-PSU- 

Evga 850w G2+

-MOBO- 

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

-CASE-

Corsair Obsidian 750D

-PERIPHERALS-

2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Logitech G302

-PART PICKER URL-

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vrqdQV

1 minute ago, MrAwesomepants said:

Only the cpu. Or it might come pre-applied to the heatsink

it was pre-applied but i had to remove it since my brother touched it :(

My Rigs

Main Rig

Asus Z170-A 

1 minute ago, HeavyFtw said:

Is it that sensitive? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, HeavyFtw said:

Then you need to apply some thermal paste to your cpu. I don't think you needed to remove the thermal paste if your brother touched it, but don't quote me on that (Cap i need answers)

This has to be a troll question - he has 217 posts discussing PCs and hardware in some detail - I could understand if he was a total newbie but come on.... What video or guide have you ever seen where someone actually applies TIM onto the heat sink directly?

2 minutes ago, tezza192 said:

This has to be a troll question - he has 217 posts discussing PCs and hardware in some detail - I could understand if he was a total newbie but come on.... What video or guide have you ever seen where someone actually applies TIM onto the heat sink directly?

not a troll question i have only ever built 1 computer so you could understand this :D

My Rigs

Main Rig

Asus Z170-A 

1 minute ago, tezza192 said:

this tutorial...

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200