Replacement workhorse laptop

Hi Everyone,

I am in the situation where i have to return my current laptop to work and get one of my own, and am looking for a bit of advice regarding the best to get.

I use the laptop mainly at work which involves large quantities of audio editing and analysis, memory intensive images (in the form of very high resolution spectrograms), and regular HD video editing. On top of this I have the usual researcher needs of having vast quantities of documents/programs open at any one time.

There also needs to be a certain degree of mobility (why I need a laptop over a desktop) as I frequently move between different labs and research stations where I need to plug in to an array of different equipment.

I have been running with an ASUS G750JH-T4106H (Core i7-4700HQ, 16GB, 256GB SSD + 1TB HD, GTX 780 4GB) for the past 3 years, which seems to handle everything pretty well, and the 4.6 Kg of weight is fine mobility wise.

I am trying to find something which can match this in performance if possible, but at the £1200-£1300 price point.

So far I’ve come up with the following options:

ASUS ROG Strix GL702M

Core i7-6700HQ

16GB

1TB + 128GB SSD

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

£1329.97

MSI Apache Pro GE72 &RE-0011UK

Core i7-7700HQ

16GB

1TB + 128GB SSD

GeForce GTX 1050ti

£1209.97

What are people’s opinions and recommendations?

I will also welcome and suggestions of other makes/models.

Thanks in advance!

The differences between the 7700hq and 6700hq are minimal.

I'd go for the one with GTX 1060 for some GPU horsepower. If they're desktop versions of the GPU it's a huge difference.

But if you want about 10-15% better CPU performance go with the MSI Apache, imo it's not worth it.

I know it's for "gaming" laptops, but you can find other good models here.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide