Dull fan LED

Roi

hey guys I recently built my new pc in the Thermaltake View 27. The issue im seeing is that when i first turn the PC on, the rear red LED fan lights up bright, then dulls down immediately afterwards. What would be causing that? Its plugged into the proper fan header.

Is it 3pin or PWM fan? 3pin fans are voltage controlled. Because both LED and fan use same power, plus mobo controlling fan speed, you will have dimmer light when fan isn't running at full speed. With PWM that would be faulty fan, since PWM fans get full 12V power all the time and controlling is done with PWM controller.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/8/2017 at 7:48 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Is it 3pin or PWM fan? 3pin fans are voltage controlled. Because both LED and fan use same power, plus mobo controlling fan speed, you will have dimmer light when fan isn't running at full speed. With PWM that would be faulty fan, since PWM fans get full 12V power all the time and controlling is done with PWM controller.

i believe it is a 3pin fan. how would i up the volts on it?

23 minutes ago, Roi said:

Depending on the motherboard, you can use the motherboard software to control the fan speed, or go into the BIOS to set a higher fan curve.

Do note that the faster the fan goes, the louder it is. Sadly the LEDs are tied into it.

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

Depending on the motherboard, you can use the motherboard software to control the fan speed, or go into the BIOS to set a higher fan curve.

Do note that the faster the fan goes, the louder it is. Sadly the LEDs are tied into it.

where would the setting for the fan curve be located under? im using a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7

1 hour ago, Roi said:

That's one of the downsides of 3pin DC voltage control unless you run the fan at full speed the LED's dim with the fan speed control, with 4 Pin PWM as LoGiCalDrm mentioned they don't dim when there is variable fan speed.

You should be able to change the speed under the MIT menu I believe for Gigabyte. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

That's one of the downsides of 3pin DC voltage control unless you run the fan at full speed the LED's dim with the fan speed control, with 4 Pin PWM as LoGiCalDrm mentioned they don't dim when there is variable fan speed.

You should be able to change the speed under the MIT menu I believe for Gigabyte. 

ok great! im gonna try and adjust that now!

adjusted the fan, its brighter now! i dont mind the fan, i usually game with a headset on. thanks for the info! what 4pin fan would you suggest in getting that contains LED?

8 minutes ago, Roi said:

adjusted the fan, its brighter now! i dont mind the fan, i usually game with a headset on. thanks for the info! what 4pin fan would you suggest in getting that contains LED?

Corsair's are pretty good, for RGB stuff Corsair, NZXT, and Thermaltake all have good options. 

9 minutes ago, Roi said:

This is kind of tough since there's quite a few of them...and different sound profiles.

I like the JetFlo from cooler master, but those run loud. The corsair fans are nice as well / NZXT. These three are the only one I've used personally so far, no issues with them.