Minecraft for old people like me.

d3sl91

I'm a (comparably) old, married guy who played Minecraft from the late-alpha days up until a couple years ago (Did the whole run several servers and be very involved with the game and community thing).

Recently my nephew started playing himself - and we now have it for XB1 so my wife and I can play the game with him. Okay, who am I kidding - my wife and I are ADDICTED. For me, its bringing back old memories, and in reality I spent SO MUCH TIME running servers and communities that I rarely ever actually played the game itself as it was meant to be played.

Anyway. For those who have played it in the last 2-4 years, I have a couple questions:

1. Are there any MC youtubers/streamers that are mature adults? I seem to recall some "back in the day", but I am mostly finding cringe-worthy content these days. I understand the target audience for many MC personalities is preteen/early teens - but still.

2. On the server side of things - What's the big deal these days? In my day it was bukkit and spigot servers. But it seems development for these has slowed alot? Specifically, I want a way to set up multiple worlds on my server and be able to teleport from world to world, and just don't know what custom server software to run to do this. the bukkit plugins I used to use to do this have not been updated for use with modern versions of MC. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

2 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

I'm a (comparably) old, married guy who played Minecraft from the late-alpha days up until a couple years ago (Did the whole run several servers and be very involved with the game and community thing).

Recently my nephew started playing himself - and we now have it for XB1 so my wife and I can play the game with him. Okay, who am I kidding - my wife and I are ADDICTED. For me, its bringing back old memories, and in reality I spent SO MUCH TIME running servers and communities that I rarely ever actually played the game itself as it was meant to be played.

Anyway. For those who have played it in the last 2-4 years, I have a couple questions:

1. Are there any MC youtubers/streamers that are mature adults? I seem to recall some "back in the day", but I am mostly finding cringe-worthy content these days. I understand the target audience for many MC personalities is preteen/early teens - but still.

2. On the server side of things - What's the big deal these days? In my day it was bukkit and spigot servers. But it seems development for these has slowed alot? Specifically, I want a way to set up multiple worlds on my server and be able to teleport from world to world, and just don't know what custom server software to run to do this. the bukkit plugins I used to use to do this have not been updated for use with modern versions of MC. 

Hey. I'm nearly 13. I stopped playing a few years ago (1-2) When I left A whole big thing with the biggest server was going down with some of their staff leaking shit and network banning a aussie youtubers fans for no reason. and him himself.

There ARE mature youtubers but they target younger audiences. For example: MrCrainer,SSundee and many more. I don't know what happened to SkyDoesMinecraft but he said he was going to start swearing now. I'd rather stay away from the minecraft community since It's just gotten... well pardon this but. Cancerous.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

2 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

Hey. I'm nearly 13. I stopped playing a few years ago (1-2) When I left A whole big thing with the biggest server was going down with some of their staff leaking shit and network banning a aussie youtubers fans for no reason. and him himself.

There ARE mature youtubers but they target younger audiences. For example: MrCrainer,SSundee and many more. I don't know what happened to SkyDoesMinecraft but he said he was going to start swearing now. I'd rather stay away from the minecraft community since It's just gotten... well pardon this but. Cancerous.

Yeah, don't plan on getting very involved with the community again - just don't have the time more than anything! But yes, the drama and immaturity was starting to get hilarious when I stopped playing as much. I stayed away from the larger servers and instead ran my own with a local group I was a part of, for that reason.

As far as the youtubers and streamers, I like to listen to them while I work. So, I'll take a look at some of the folks you mentioned. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

1 minute ago, d3sl91 said:

Yeah, don't plan on getting very involved with the community again - just don't have the time more than anything! But yes, the drama and immaturity was starting to get hilarious when I stopped playing as much. I stayed away from the larger servers and instead ran my own with a local group I was a part of, for that reason.

As far as the youtubers and streamers, I like to listen to them while I work. So, I'll take a look at some of the folks you mentioned. 

Haha. Most big servers have gone to rubbish now. im just taking a look at mineplex.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

I've always played solo. I don't even know how to join a minecraft server... or change my player appearance, or anything. I just keep on diggin'.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

IMO Ethos Lab does some pretty nice content most of the time, his vanilla build are pretty cool pushing the edges of how extreme you can go with some of them. he is like the only MC youtuber i can stand. as for servers me and my friends that i play MC with are rolling with 1.7 and 1.8 whenever we play, custom world gen and plugins galore usiually. kinda sucks having to dig them up from the toombs of the internet and with the minimal support that exists you have to figure out a lot on your own. i dont know what other people are doing with servers now though, we just kinda play whatever we feel like when we feel like it.  sometimes we roll with mod too but never do we go beyond 1.8.9. 1.9 kinda destroyed the game for us and also mod and plugin support kinda went out the window

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016