4790K OC Safety question

Hey all! First post here.

I have a 4790k that I delidded (thanks to Rockit 88's block, check them out!), and used coollaboratory's liquid ultra as the new TIM. Saw a pretty nice temp drop of ~15c under load, so I pushed my overclock up to 4.9 @1.42v. I have an h100i v2 cooler, and under prime 95, it's stable (well, I only ran it for about 15 minutes before I had to go to sleep), but temps hit about the mid 80s under the small ffts test.

All things considered, prime95 is a rather unrealistically brutal torture test, so I probably won't be seeing those temps under real world high load tasks. Alas, the voltage is a touch on the high side. I have the processor clocking down when not under load, but the voltage remains the same, despite my tinkering with settings.

My main question is should I back off on my overclock? Am I asking for trouble with that voltage, or should I be *relatively* okay so long as I can keep it cool, and keep the processor clocked down a bit when not under stress?

That's pretty high voltage, but as long as you keep it cool then it should be okay.  As for it clocking down when you aren't using it, that's a good thing.  You don't want it constantly drawing power.

I lowered the voltage to 1.17 (or something, not at my desktop now) and OC'd it to 4.5GHz at full load.  I'm not using that performance anyway.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's pretty high voltage, but as long as you keep it cool then it should be okay.  As for it clocking down when you aren't using it, that's a good thing.  You don't want it constantly drawing power.

Yeah, I have C states and speedstep enabled to try and get the thing to calm down when i'm not throwing anything at it. Inside windows processor power management, I have the minimum state set to 5% and the max to 100%. At idle it draws about 25-30w. I can get the clock speed to lower, but I can't get the voltage to step down a bit.

4 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i suggest not going over 1.3 volt for normal operation.  

Could you explain please?

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

Well, I think 1.42V is a little bit high considering that a normal operation load is recommended at 1.3V. However I have my 4790K OC ed at 5.2 Ghz, same specification as yours, by the way,  at a voltage of 1.40. So not being able to reach 5.0 on 1.42v but able to reach 4.9 means that the silicon pick on your cpu was about "gold rated silicon". 

Anyway, back to your topic on if you should back down- I would run LinX for 15 tests on 80% of your memory and see if the system is stable afterwards. If not, I think it is not a good plan to keep your cpu at that voltage. 

Hope it helped. 

6 hours ago, Acerpwns said:

Could you explain please?

too high of a voltage damages cpu in the long-run, i recommend 1.3 v for daily use. 

If you have a good cooler then yes, but don't be surprised if the CPU fan gets louder.The voltage is pretty high.